My Obsessions

Guest philvincent

Guest philvincent

Over the last few years, i have been continuely asking questions about scriptures that play on my mind. I have basically asked the same question probably more than 100 times! I always go to church leaders, to give me a satisfactory answer, but it never satisfies me......

i have come to realise that no matter what answer i get i will always need to ask another question. At times i have also had to think the answers thru, for a set amount of time.

if i try and resist giving in to the ritual i experience very bad anxiety, but if i do give into it, it just feeds my compulsions more. i have tried medication and psycotherapy, although these have helped a little bit, i am still not better. what can i do????????

Guest Creative Cat

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. It sounds very tough. I have had some religious obsessions and understand how difficult this can be :weep: . Mine sound different than yours but the overall experience can feel torturous at times. You are not alone. I have just started the OCD Workbook by Cherry Pedrick with my therapist. I am feeling hopeful that it will help. From everything I've read it seems that the way out of OCD seem to be not giving in to it. So, I know that the anxiety can be really hard, but going through it and not giving in to the checking seems to help in the long run. If you'd like, feel free to PM me about any particular concerns that you may have and maybe I can help.

Take care and God bless,

Creative Cat

Hi there. I think it's great that you have tried to give in to the ritual and I think this is what you must keep trying, as CC suggests. Just try to leave it longer before giving in at first, and work towards not giving in at all. The anxiety will be high at first but I promise you it will come down.

Do you have any self-help books? There are some really good ones for intrusive thoughts - have you tried Imp Of The Mind, Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals or Overcoming Obsessive THoughts?

It might be worth you seeing your GP again and asking for some more cbt - is that what you had or not?

Rach x

Guest philvincent

Hi and thankyou for your replies. I am going to try and get hold of that book you suggested by Cherry, it has now been about 2 weeks since performing the ritual, and i guess with time the anxiety will calm down.

Thanks again Phil x