Successes and Achievements

Hi all,

I haven't been well this week and had to take a day off work yesterday. I managed to phone work myself and phone my therapist to cancel my appoinment. I hate the phone and if I can get out of using it I do. It is a real phobia, but yesterday I managed to do it twice. I also went to the doctors on my own, which is another thing I shy away from.

Last week I supervised a class while the teacher was out of the class doing observations. Nothing went wrong and I was very surprised.

:original:

Hi Sarah,

I am sorry to hear you have been unwell...there are some bugs going around at the moment, I've not long got over one myself.

A huge well done for using the phone, and for visiting your GP alone. I appreciate how much anxiety it can cause you...so make sure you pat yourself on the back..it's well deserved :clapping:

Kylie

x x x

Guest h_777

Hi just wanted to add my well dones to the post. Go Sarah!

It's funny you saying about having things touching. I never thought about it before whenever you mentioned it, but now I remember that I never could have any electrical items touching incase they caught fire. Fire was always my big fear, and so wires couldn't touch and nothing was allowed near a wall socket! Strange the things you forget. Well done for putting the controls in the drawer together.

Also while I'm here I may as well add something. I too was terrified of the phone, I never answered it, let alone actually calling someone myself. Well since I have been working in the office I have had to make dozens of calls to clients. I was so scared but now I'm actually quite good on the phone :) Occasionally I still prepare my 'script' before dialling but even if I forget what I was phoning for (my phobia) I can say, 'you know what, I've forgotten what I was phoning you for!' and then we laugh and all the anxiety is gone. It's really amazing and perhaps my biggest achievement to date.

H

Hi all,

I haven't been well this week and had to take a day off work yesterday. I managed to phone work myself and phone my therapist to cancel my appoinment. I hate the phone and if I can get out of using it I do. It is a real phobia, but yesterday I managed to do it twice. I also went to the doctors on my own, which is another thing I shy away from.

Last week I supervised a class while the teacher was out of the class doing observations. Nothing went wrong and I was very surprised.

:original:

well done honey, :clapping:

love melxx

Thanks for all your lovely messages :original:

Well done Holly on overcoming your phone phobia. It sounds like you have found a great technique for overcoming your anxiety when phoning clients. :clapping:

Sarah

xx

Yesterday at work I undertook my biggest achievement to date!! I supervised and was in charge of a whole class all morning.

As most people know I am a Learning Support Assistant in a Year 2 class, in a great school. The teacher needed to have her usual planning time that she has every Friday morning with the other Year 2 class teacher. The LSA who usually comes in to help me (and lead the class, until I am confident enough to do that myself), had to cover another class and the other LSA, in our class, who works with a child who has hearing difficulties was off sick. The teacher gave me the option to take another LSA out of another class to support me, but that would mean another LSA would be on her own. I therefore decided to look after the class on my own. My friends will know what a big step this was. The children had choosing time (which the teacher said was harder to control than if they had been given structured work to do, because the chilldren were all doing different things). I needed to help some children to finish off their design work, listen to readers and keep an eye on the class. I also had the child who has hearing and sight difficulties to look after. Everything was fine. The children more or less behaved. I got them ready for playtime and lunch. In fact I quite enjoyed having control of the class. I was absolutely exhausted by the end of the morning. I am so, so proud of myself and it is great to have been able to prove to myself that I can do it. :original:

Edited by Guest
  • 1 month later...
Guest Heryn

Today, I did something which would years ago have caused me a lot of worry. Haven't had meds today so, if I'm honest, a tiny bit surprised I handled it so well --- but I just 'did it'. :boxing: Still a bit concerned but will try to distract w/ other things.

Have been asking a lot -- reassurance -- are you OK, etc; and that is annoying. It seems like sometimes I can't help it. :helpsmilie:

Started a new poem about OCD. Have been writing + doing creative stuff. (Shouldn't tell you, it will set off OCD!!) Still have this interest which I started a few months ago, but am trying to keep it in check and not look up everything about it.

CSP on and off like always.

Sometimes I feel like I need something on top of the meds to help with the nervy feeling. Hate it. But anyway... I hope you are doing all right.

cheers

Heryn

Edited by Guest
Guest yazuka

Surviving OCD for 8 years literally by myself, improving by myself. CBT and medication did not work. Nothing worked until I took things into my own hand when I couldn't take it anymore. (However, I have relapsed since last week).

Because of OCD I missed years of school. I missed all of 8, half of year 9, 10 and 11 and consequently my GCSE's. After missing a whole year of education I came back to school at the latter half of year 9 and revised for 1-2 weeks and achieved a level 7 for maths. I then missed half of year 10 and the latter half of year 11. After that I started college in 2006. I took maths and english GCSE along with psychology A-level, they were going to put me in for the higher maths paper but I wasn't allowed because it was a resit (although I didn't fail anything in the first place to resit). I got A for english, B for maths intermediate, B for psychology. I now take AS maths and AS Eng lang and A2 psychology. I'm predicted AAA.

Sorry for boasting about my academic achievements :p I just feel compelled to considering the total amount of education I recieved.

Guest millicentbystander

i had a little break through at the supermarket the other day.

i was taking my kids (one 4 years old and the other 7 months old) which is fine i normally leave the baby in the pushchair and only have a basket full because trolleys are to dirty to put the baby in. there are loads of supermarkets around where we live so i picked the most expensive one thinking that people with more money are likey to be cleaner (i know that is so judgemental but thats what my ocd tells me - sorry). Anyway to get to the point..........drum roll please.......i put the baby in the trolley! sounds so stupid but it was a big thing for me. i still made by 4 year old press all the buttons in the lift and pick up any thing i didnt want to touch.....and had a big ocd dilema over whether i could buy eggs.

sorry its abit of a ramble and doesnt seem very impressive in the grand scale of things but i was abit pleased with myself!

Mills x

Guest legend

well done mills, any acheivement, however small, is brill, and proves that with courage you can

defeat the ocd....

drum roll for me....."every little helps!!!!"

legend.xx

Guest millicentbystander

ha ha!

Thanks for your support Legend! i nice to be able to tell some one that gets "it"

Mills