We Need Your Help - Improve Access To CBT

The title of this thread my seem dramatic, but from my experience with the boards, my support group and the charity we have so many people who have to wait 2 years or more for CBT and then often it is not adequate CBT.

This is not new news, we have known this for years, but we now have a report by a respected economic expert who writes and provides good reasoning for better access to CBT for people with OCD (and other anxiety disorders), not only will it improve your mental well being it will also be economically cheaper for the government in terms of getting people with anxiety disorders back to work and paying taxes rather than claiming benefits. The report shows there are more people claiming incapacity benefit because of mental health issues than there are unemployed, so this is a statistic that should make the people at Whiteall and the corridors of power sit up and listen.

This is the very thing we have been waiting for since I got involved in OCD voluntary work, we have the tool, the evidence and the power to force this through.

However, we need to use that power and so far we have made a start, but we need each and everyone of you to do your bit otherwise this wall fall flat on its face and the money will be spent on another illness. We must not be complacent, you must not think 'oh, I don't need to do anything, my voice won't make any difference' - but in fact YES IT WILL.

If every one of our forum members wrote to their local MP, that would be 2500 people asking for the same thing and that would make a difference.

I have made a start and this is the letter of reply from my local MP who has passed it to Patricia Hewitt the Secretary of State for Health. If she received 2500 letters from MPs all asking the same thing, it would be noticed and would be seriously looked into.

IPB Image

I can not kid you and say it will make much difference to you and me tomorrow, but if given the green light within 10 years there would be 250 centres of CBT excellence across the UK, 10,000 new trained therapists just for Anxiety Disorders. The report details how this would work, where these new trained therapists would come from, it is not unrealistic, it actually makes sense and the most important part is that they want to put QUALITY over QUANTITY so the centres would be opened in a phased way, maybe 40 per year over a 10 year period.

This really could make a world of difference to our young brothers or sisters, to our children.

What you need to do: The first step that we need is for you all to write letters and lobby your local MP and other key government ministers. We have provided a template for your letter (attached), all you need to do is add your name and address which is important to show you are a constituent and then sign it and send to your local MP.You can find out the name and postal/email address of your local MP by checking on the internet at: www.upmystreet.com/commons/l/

Once you have sent your letters, email OCD-UK to let us know you have sent your letter off and email us with any replies you get.

We must not sit back and wait for it to happen WE MUST MAKE IT HAPPEN, for our children's tomorrow.

letter.doc

Guest lauralee

Thanks Ashley,

I for one will be writing to my MP.

When I was diagnosed seven years ago, I didn't even know what CBT was, and none of the health care professionals that I saw ever mentioned it to me. When I spoke to my psychiatrist yesterday I asked to be put on the CBT waiting list. I was told that where I live, 'CBT is used only in individuals who have complex or multiple mental health diagnoses'. This makes me quite cross :censored: as fundamentally, as you say, it will ultimately be 'cheaper' to treat people with anxiety disroders etc. rather than having them out of work on a long term basis. BUT more importantly, if it improves peoples quality of life, then it should be a priority for the government to pursue.

Lauralee

Edited by lauralee

:clapping: Sounds good. For the record, I sent my email to all the people mentioned on the main website, my local MP, and the shadow health spokesmen for the Conservatives and Lib Dems. (Because who knows who'll be in opposition come next election?)

Come on guys, as I have said before, it takes 10 minutes MAX and nothing is ever going to change unless we make it happen. :clapping: Let's show everyone we're not "half-wits" © Catherine Tate. :dry:

did minea few weeks ago shar and received a number of replies that i emailed to ash yesterday

found my local mp really helpful ...so come on everyone if i can do it so can you there are over 2700 users on this board imagine if each and everyone of us does this how fantastic......

Will write to my MP. I'm also trying to take some action within my local NHS Trust re treatment options for people with OCD. It is a bit broader than just the CBT option but includes that. So far I've had a lot of support from some professionals I know in the Trust and I'm hoping to improve peoples access to services locally.

Lets keep bombarding our elected members!

Guest Rainbow_Colours

Hello!

I'm Ags, I'm new here, but I do think that writing to MPs about CBT is an excellent idea, and hopefully the more letters they'll receive, the more action we're going to see! I will send my letter as soon as I can, and let you know about the reply!

Ags

x

I am not only shocked, but also concerned that this thread as generated only 6 replies (thank you to those who have replied).

OCD-UK and other charities can only do so much, we really do need your help to push this plan through the corridors of power.

We can make a difference, but we must do it together as a united group, not just a few lone voices.

I too have received a reply from my local MP (who must be sick of me by now, as I am constantly emailing or writing her about one issue or the other - but that's democracy!). Would you like me to forward it to you, Ashley?

Cheers

Tez :cool:

Guest Rainbow_Colours
I have recieved a reply from my MP David Kidney and enclosed is the ministers letter, i will try and get a copy to you but i haven't a scanner at the moment

I got a reply from my MP today, along with a copy of a three-page letter from Patricia Hewitt. I wonder if it's the same one as yours, notgivingup?

My scanner isn't working at the mo :angry: , but I'll try to work something out. :)