Documentary on OCD Today!!!!!!!!!

Guest ricky

Guest acliffe

Damn, i missed the first 38 mins :weep: i take it was bout the 2 boys etc and how there faimlies have been tryin to cope with it.

I'll give it them tho, they are very very VERY lucky boys indeed for them to be diagnosed so early in life, (i didn't get that till last x-mas, i'm 23) they can now live there lives with relative freedom, but i feel that i've been going through this hell for so long its very hard to break out of it, and yes i've tried exposure therapy and it didn't really work, so i say good luck to them :a1_cheesygrin: :clapping:

i dont know if they are completely cured, i expect ocd will raise its ugly head at some point in the future but hopefully they will know how to deal with it - i thought the teenage boy was very brave with the friends and the magazine, the whistling he did is something my husband does, and the restless legs..

i'm sorry exposure work didnt sort out your ocd, normally its very good as you saw with the children in the programme.

i was so proud of the mother of the little boy who cut himself with the knife, she didnt do what as mothers we normally do, and she stayed calm, and was brilliant.

Guest acliffe

I think i missed more then i thought hehe, i hope it gets repeated sometime soon :original:

Thats ok Mel1971, i agree i think it will return to them but at least they have the tools to help them. As for my self i've now got to the point of just living with it and trying my best and just doin it, it doesn't upset me as much as it used to, apart from the 'harming others' thoughts and my neck tics sometimes stopping me from sleeping, oh and the fear of dieing in my sleep which makes me stay up till i'm completly exhausted, other then that i'm fine hehe :lol: :whistling:

husband had a fear of dying in his sleep until he had to take sleeping tablets, then it stopped

ocd tends to transfer from one fixation to another, you manage to achieve one triumph for it to transfer to something mild that you never thought of before, and it goes on, and on, and on..

i hope for those children that they can fight back, the teenager made a very good point 'it takes less power to fight than to give in' i may not have got the words completely true, but the sentiment is correct..

i'm afraid i dont know much about ticks, that must be really awful.

take care,

love melxxxx

Guest Brainiac

As for my self i've now got to the point of just living with it and trying my best and just doin it, it doesn't upset me as much as it used to, apart from the 'harming others' thoughts

Ooo I just posted something along these lines on a different thread ( doubt ) I am glad that someone else feels the same ( I think) Not glad that you feel upset glad that I'm not the only one like this!

Why hasn't the bit I quoted from Alan look like everybody elses quotes?? Or does it ....

Edited by Guest
Guest purrfect

I saw about 25 mins of this. Wish I'd hve known about it earlier. I saw the bit where the older boy was on Holiday and spent his time arranging the pool furniture. It really tugged hard on my heart, as I knew I'd be inclined to do the same thing.

I'm glad he was getting help so young, and that his family take it seriously (I'm 27 and mine still don't).

Guest acliffe

"Ooo I just posted something along these lines on a different thread ( doubt ) I am glad that someone else feels the same ( I think) Not glad that you feel upset glad that I'm not the only one like this!"

Readin your post Brainiac i now feel happy cause i thought i was the only one who feels the way i feel, its nice to know i'm not the only one :a1_cheesygrin:

Edited by Guest
Guest Fallen Angel

Overall I felt the programme was an excellent and realistic documentation of life with ocd.

What struck me the most about the programme was how readily susceptible to the CBT tasks the young child was,reinforcing my opinion that the earlier treatment is sought,the easier it may be to overcome.I thought the parents were excellent and appeared to thoroughly appreciate the essence of the condition.

Perhaps the fact that younger children have a better grasp of fundamental logic is a positive factor when it comes to exposure therapy and CBT.

My only criticism,and its a very small one,is that the ocd `voice` in the younger childs head wasnt explained as being an inaudible one which made me think that many people may now believe that people with ocd all hear voices :headslap:

I agree with a previous member`s posting that it was indeed an inspiration .If two children can overcome so much,the rest of us surely can too. :original:

I only saw the bit with the young boy, but I thought his parents were excellent and very understanding. As was the psych, come to mention it. Lucky him for being treated so young.

I thought the kids were really brave, especially, the younger one (Danny?) who had his battle with 'Ediota'. It must have been horrible for a kid of that age to have to deal with intrusive thoughts. I wish I had as much courage as him in dealing with my CBT!

Guest Peacan Rican
I liked the doc a lot, I related to the boy and his handwashing it was done thoughtfully and with awareness but not too preachy. Poor little Danny and Ediota when he didnt correct the sentence and said "no ediota your not gonna kill my family!" :weep: awwww poor thing...but shows that CBT is effective and not all these drugs Edited by Guest
Guest musical_lottie

My only criticism,and its a very small one,is that the ocd `voice` in the younger childs head wasnt explained as being an inaudible one which made me think that many people may now believe that people with ocd all hear voices :headslap:

Yes, I agree.

I think what most struck a chord with me was that the older boy is only two years younger than me, and I can relate to his OCD - I haven't it personally, but they are areas which cause me concern (but not enough to qualify as OCD.) I found it a little saddening to see him denying things he did, and to see how he initially resisted his homework, but I know I can thoroughly relate to that too :blushing:

I'm so glad this programme was on - it was very matter-of-fact and showed the three main points of view (sufferer's, family's, doctor's) and hopefully has raised awareness. And on a personal level, i feel it has caused me to turn a corner in actually pushing myself to get better.