Back to square one....almost

Hi everyone,

I suppose I've been in denial for the last week or so.......my son had been doing incredibly well......I had mistakenly been avoiding coming on the site, because selfishly I didn't want to remember how bad OCD can get.....

My son went out with his friends the Friday before Christmas, he was waiting outside a pub for his friends (who had gone to the loo) a man he had never seen before knocked him to the floor and started hitting him around the head. He came home in a state, his shirt was torn, and he had marks on his face. He doesn't want to report the incident to the police, because he says he doesn't think he would recognise his attacker again, (the upset of reporting the incident would also send the OCD into overdrive). He hasn't been out very much since, and does not want to talk about it, or be reminded of it, because he is "dealing with it" in his head, and bringing it up again makes him feel bad. The incident has given full reign to OCD again...and he seems to have regressed. I know I just have to be patient, and in time, he will be able to manage it again, but it was such a blow. I am trying to be as supportive as I can without facilitating the OCD, but I can feel myself slipping into the abyss again.

My son had been having CBT at the child and adolescent unit, he is too old now, and finished his sessions mid December. We were told that emotional upset or traumatic experiences could cause the OCD to worsen again, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Sue

Guest Brainiac

Oh No thats awful Sue!!

Anybody would find that dificult to deal with, it seems such a scary situation! I don't really have any advise, perhaps your son will want to talk about it in the future once he has dealt with the different emotions he is feeling at the moment. Look after yourself aswell.

Hi Brainiac,

thanks for your post.....I agree it is a scary situation to be in, I can only imagine how he must have felt - it would be a massive blow to anyone's confidence, to be "set-upon" for no apparent reason, by a complete stranger. I just tell him, when he allows me to that is, that not everyone is bad he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Sue

Sue I am so sorry to hear about your son's experience. My son finds it difficult to cope with people and I know he would be absolutely devastated if it happened to him, so I can imagine what you are going through. My son still has CBT and Im sure he would want to talk it through with his therapist and probably not me, he would know how much anguish it would cause me. As this is an extreme circumstance your son finds himself in would his therapist not break the rules and give him a bit of time?

I hope he feels better again soon.

Carol

Guest tangoblu

Hi Sue

What a terrible thing to happen! Your poor son.... life can be so unfair at times!

There must be some support for the incident itself that you can get - and with any luck if you explain that he has just finished his OCD you might as Carol says get a chance to have some CBT to support him. I would call the child and adolesent unit and have a word with them.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Hugs

Pam