Challenge Club-Merged Threads

Guest NickNickNick

Howdy.

Progress was made this weekend, I think.

I sat on the chair and couch at my girlfriend's and things went alright...I didn't shower or feel too anxious about it, so that went good.

I did 'feel' dirty and anxious at other times, however fro varying other reasons...I didn't act on any compulsions and it really didn't put much of a damper on the weekend, but they were still there bugging me.

It was a good weekend all in all. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SallyB

Had a really good day today. Went out of the house on my day off (which was my task for today) and managed to leave without checking at all (well I checked the front, back, patio and garage doors!) i even managed to leave the back door (which is the door we always use) without going back to check, when I really wanted to! I also didn't switch the plug off for the kettle (another big one).

It is always easier when I take my dog out as a lot of my anxiety involves keeping him safe - but even so I have done a lot better than I usually do.

Back to work tomorrow so usual checking :) but will still stop peeping under the lampshade at the light bulb. Am going to set myself a new task for Tuesday.

Sally

I new to this site so hello everyone!

Setting goals seems like a good idea...the only problem is thinking what to start with.

13164[/snapback]

Welcome the the site Sass :)

Best advice for OCD challenges is to start small, dont try and attempt a task which is too much for you, start small and get strong and then increase your tasks as you gain confidence.

All the best and Good Luck :)

I new to this site so hello everyone!

Setting goals seems like a good idea...the only problem is thinking what to start with.

13164[/snapback]

Welcome the the site Sass :)

Best advice for OCD challenges is to start small, dont try and attempt a task which is too much for you, start small and get strong and then increase your tasks as you gain confidence.

All the best and Good Luck :(

13168[/snapback]

Thanks Ashie

:)

Sally you're doing brilliant, I reckon it's a tube of Smarties for you :)

Welcome Sass, anything will do, Like Ashie says, pick something no matter how small, it's a step in the right direction.

Well it's now 10pm and I haven't checked my B.P once today...been tempted a couple of times but what the heck :)

Guest SallyB

Fantastic Caramoole - that's brilliant! :)

I had a bit of a blip today - I just couldn't convince myself that the bedroom light was off without looking under the shade at the lightbulb - so had a peep. :thumbup: However, the rest of the checking wasn't too bad (and it ususally is really rough after the weekend when I've not done it for a couple of days).

I have been thinking what task to add for this week. I am not going to check the downstairs loo window. I have had a thing about it since we had the hall decorated and the decorator had left it unlocked when he finished. I will see how I get on and do my best.

My aim is to add a new task every week until I can leave the house with gay abandon (or rather just leave the house without having to factor in 45 mins to an hour of checking time first!) :)

Sally

Well Done :) how did you do going to work?

I didn't check yesterday at all :thumbup:

I did today once this morning. I've had a bum (ish) afternoon where my anxiety's been high and my BP is probably up....so far, although sorely tempted, I've resisted the temptation

Guest SallyB

Yep - not too bad - still a bit late (I know I'm going to get a telling off soon for being late every day) but I am doing loads better on the bits that cause me real anxiety (the doors) but not so good on the cooker knobs.

I am determined to add a task every week and get this checking sorted - I'm a woman on a mission!

Sally

So let's see who we've got

Me - Checking Blood pressure

Sally B - Checking the lamp

Two Shoes - Letting husband wash up

Hayley - Not checking behind her

Adamski - Not asking for reassurance and working on contamination

Louise24 - Cutting down time in the shower

Matt - Trying to keep occupied & busy

NickNickNick - Sitting in a dirty chair

IrnBru - Reduce checking

Caveman - Stop cleaning toilets at 6.30 am

Patsy - Reduce checking

Xena - Not checking envelope contents

Queenie - Resisting cleaning rituals

Sammy Hostie - Checking Pulse

ManxPete Stop washing hands after touching the cat

IrnBru - Reduce checking

Patsy - Reduce checking

ManxPete - Stop washing hands after touching the cat

Northern Star- Cut down on washing hair

Guest NickNickNick

My dirty chair fear can go away now.

My big goal now is that when I get back to where I live during the school year, I will feel like I have to wash ALL of my clothes and bedding a couple of times.

With some help from my girlfriend, I am going to resist the compulsions to do this, and just enjoy my time there...

September 2nd will be the day I move back, so I have 2 weeks to prep myself.

This is the thing I've been decreasingly anxious about all summer...hopefully it will go away when I get there...

Good Luck with that Northern Star :grin:

Now I need to call the register and get some feedback here.

Hayley, where are you? I've seen you lurking :thumbup: How's it going with the not looking back, Donut's a new member who could do with some tips.

...and Two Shoes, any progress?

If it's getting difficult, drop back and make the task a bit easier :)

Well done with the dirty chair NNN, talk about washing your dirty linen in public :) I hope your girlfriend doesn't know you've been telling everyone on the world wide web that her furniture is dirty :thumbup:

Seriously, good luck with college, I'm sure you'll be fine, you're so determined :)

Guest NickNickNick

The only reason that the furniture is 'dirty' is because it is actually my furniture I am loning her.

For me, other people's clothes and things cannot become contaminated because of my touching them, at any point...

strange.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will let you know how it goes. :thumbup:

Guest SallyB

I did ok today - managed not to check the lightbulbs nor the downstairs loo window! Did feel quite anxious so I found it more difficult with the doors and was late for work (again!) but do feel that I'm making progress.

Sally B

Sounds good Sally! Obviously I don't mean about being late for work, but it's all big steps in the right direction. :) And one day you'll walk through that door on time with a big grin on your face and it'll be so worth it :) (although if you have a big grin on your face then they might worry you've been drinking en route to work! :drunk: )

Guest SallyB

Thanks Northern Star. I know that you mean! I know someone who used to live with a friend who often went out of the house and forgot to lock the front door! I couldn't believe it! I don't want to get to that stage, but I do want to be able to go out with a few minutes notice rather than always refusing to do stuff because of the stress!

Skipping out of the house with a big grin sounds great to me - I don't care what anyone else thinks of that!!

Sally

Guest Dragonfruit

Excellent thread

I am going to try not to Dettol the toilet seat and handle, and taps, and bathroom door handle and lock before and after I go to the bathroom each time :)

Once a day (or maybe twice) will suffice.

IrnBru - Reduce checking

Patsy - Reduce checking

ManxPete - Stop washing hands after touching the cat

Northern Star- Cut down on washing hair

Dragon Fruit - Cut down on disinfecting bathroom

Guest SallyB

well - had a dreadful day checking yesterday. I so wanted to stay at home and not go to work so that I didn't have to finish checking. I got so mad with myself that I was shouting because I just wanted to check and leave the house and just couldn't. The trouble was that my in-laws had been staying overnight on their way back for hols and they never wash their hand after going to the loo. ( I know as in their house the toilet doesn't have a sink and is separate from the bathroom and have seen them coming out of the loo many times and not washing their hands).

Although I am normally not too worried about contamination, it really does stress me out when they've been to stay and I found checking really awful. I wanted to cry all the way to work.

Having said that today was better. I failed on the downstairs loo window as I always feel that my in-laws have opened or unlocked things whilst they were staying - but I managed to avoid the lights.

Will hopefully do better next week - but have then got my in-laws for Saturday- Monday for the Flora Light Race - I know my mother-in-law is supporting by running with me, but it is hard having her to stay!

Sally