Challenge Club-Merged Threads

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done all of you :blushing:

Jeffery Schwarz also recommends being very 'mindful' about checking. Saying it out loud sounds like a good idea....or maybe if you're going to be away at work, have a note book that says....Fire - Checked, Door - Locked etc.

I'm barely checking my blood pressure now...certainly not compulsively. If I'm not into checking, my BP is fine and normal.......If I get drawn in to a checking mode my BP is up...so in truth it has completely opposite effect to the desired one :wallbash:

I tell you, whilst it seems that 'checking' reassures you, the opposite is true.....and if you can face not doing and be damned, it's actually FAR easier than doing it and being reassured....because we're not really.

Any more updates please....we've all gone strangely silent

Any more updates please....we've all gone strangely silent

No progress from me on the hair-washing thing :wallbash:.

A bigger OCD fear came up and I am trying to keep that one more under control, then if I can get that sorted then I will hopefully go back and try to sort out the hair-washing.

Guest SallyB

NS,

I think you are absolutely right. In terms of challenges sometimes the biggest challenge is just to keep battling on - without trying to do anything over and above. My feeling is to do the best you can and be kind to yourself if you can.

I hope that you are ok. If I can help at all please do pm me.

Take care

Sally

Thanks all :blushing:

You'll get there Northern Star, one day, honest :)

Some time ago I sat down and wrote down the many and varied OCD fears I've had over the years.......Know what, they looked pretty, darn stupid and despite their ferocity, I never acted on one of them, It helped me to see the lie in them.

I think of it a bit like the jingle or song that you cannot get rid of....today I could not help but keep singing the first few lines of 'Lilac Wine'....just because I heard it on the radio yesterday....that's annoying but because it's not scary it's no big deal....OCD is much the same, it's just a silly repetetive jingle...not nice but not dangerous.

As for your hair washing....just do it once less this week....forget once less a day but once this week say NO!!

I dare you :wallbash:

Guest twoshoes
Jeffery Schwarz also recommends being very 'mindful' about checking. Saying it out loud sounds like a good idea....or maybe if you're going to be away at work, have a note book that says....Fire - Checked, Door - Locked etc.

Saying it out LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to sing somethings, I have posted this before but it is so ridiculous you can all have another chuckle on me...

Sometimes when I do a drink of water I fear that I will give someone a drink from the hot tap, an adult would tell me my mistake but my son may not and the hot tap is not drinking water, so...I sing #cold, baby cold baby baby cold cold# to the tune of Come, baby, come by K7

This has reduced quite a bit now as I use a straw to drop a spot of water on my wrist to check its cold.

As for battling my OCD sorry, not doing to good, set myself the challenge of reducing my hand washing whilst preparing a sandwich for lunch, I managed to drop 2 hand washes, substituted with a funny way of doing things and use a fork instead of a hand at one point so you can call that a sideways step.

managing to shower every other day now, having a good time last week and managed nearly 3 whole days but my greasy mop shamed me.

• 3 months later...

I've brought this one back to the top for GemGem

ive made a few goals for the next week: take tablet evey day, eat at leat 1 proper meal, no more than 2 showers in one day, at least 3 nights in bed.....

...suppose ill just take it slowly

......and anyone else who feels they'd like to use the New Year to set up some challenges.

Well done GemGem, you survived, Good Luck and onwards and upwards with your goals :)

Guest napo100383

My challenge is a big one i want to go to america for three months this summer i could make up all sorts of excuses to not go with my friends but in reality the only thing stopping me is OCD.OCD has not stopped me before from doing anything so i dont want it to stop me doing this,,

Also im going to Prague in April prob and want to be able to go there anxiety free,,,

Im not a checker so my goals are more long term,,

Guest Luna_Lovegood

I always set goals for myself. But things always go like-- when i defeat an obsession thought, another new thought comes, when i defeat this thought, there comes another new one… this goes endlessly. Seems I’m a magnet of obsessions. I just completely overcame a OCD thought last week. yet before long, i had a brand-new obsession and i'm still dealing with it now.

My task at the moment is to stop hiding things that I feel are dangerous. For example a clean pan on the side in the kitchen next to a socket would make me feel very uncomforable so I would put it away - in that case I put it safe in the cupboard under the stairs! My husband is getting fed up of losing things and then finding them in an odd place where I have put it for safety. He recently found his penknife in his underwear drawer!!

Anyway, I am really trying to stop doing this - and he has noticed the difference which is good!!

Sally

• 1 month later...
My goals for this week are to go to a self-harm support group on Tues evening and to go to a uni open day on the train on Wed.  :lol:

31534[/snapback]

Good stuff!! :censored:

Which uni are you visiting? Hope the day goes well.

Good luck at the SH support group too.

• 2 months later...

I think it's time the Challenge Club had an open day, so I've brought this back up :wallbash:

Volunteer's needed to pledge one small thing that they are determined to work on and challenge today. It needn't be anything massive, just something that will give you a sense of achievement by the end of the day.

That Goldfish is going spare, first prize for the winner :lol2:

I think this is a great idea.

What will be my challenge today????.....................................

When I have drink I am not going to check and blow the cup to get rid of dust and dirt.

Gayle

Guest vicky

for the next week,b4 i go 2 slp, i am going to stop myself going downstairs more than once 2 check everythings switched off. also stopping smoking on monday.

:thumbup2: :thumbup2:

Good luck Gayle and Vicky :D , Hope you both go on o.k :) .

My challenge,

I really need to start facing this, I'll start small...........

Tommorow I will only check that my wardrobe doors are shut once , why I worry about them I don't know!! :D . No counting, just a quick glance.

Even better I will actually try and check my room on my own :huh: . Hopefully manage that :) .

Great thread Caramoole :thumbup: .

Love Bluexx

Guest hannahmaniac

Definatley to relax everytime I feel a panic attack, to create a rota for myself and try to reduce my compulsions to only 3 times a day if at all...I hope I can do it, hang on I KNOW I CAN DO IT! lol, Hannah x

My challenge is a bit of a cheat because I had to promise this to someone from the community mental health team anyway, but I'm not going to hurt myself or kill myself today..well, actually I'm going to try not to. I'm not convinced I'll manage it but I'll try to think of this thread when the urge comes. :lol:

Guest SallyB

I am going to have a shower tomorrow (I had one a couple of weeks ago but before that it was about 18mths - don't worry I don't really stink!! I have a bath instead!) I find it really difficult to step into the shower so have bought myself some bright flipflops so that I can have a shower without putting my feet in the tray. I am then going to try to have at least one per week.

:)

Sally