:(

Guest Starfruit

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

I have anorexia and OCD and in my opinion they are both as bad as one another and cannot be compared they are totally different illnesses.

Guest legend

Sorry to hear of your hard times, peolple who have not suffered with a "mental" illness should not make comments, comparing different illnesses does

not make a ocd sufferer feel any better, to say that you are less likely to die with ocd than anorexia is absolute rubbish.

Try not to let it get to you, try not to self harm and i ope you having proffessional help with your ocd,

The difference between ocd and anorexia, ocd is not visible, only to the sufferer.

Unfortunatley i lost a friend to ocd, why because he could not cope with it anymore, they only fount out that he had ocd through his "suicide" note!

Hope you feel better soon

Guest legend

That is not surprising, ocd sufferers are sensitive,and when non sufferers give innappropiate input, it makes you feel this way, IF only they

knew, but non sufferers never will, unless they have suffered themselves, and that is. why it is called the secret illness, although there are many

people on these forums who are not sufferers but live with sufferers and are amazing people,my wife being one and especially mel 1971, and many others.

try.

I think sometimes it can help if someone close goes with you to the psych,therapist etc, because that way it they might get

a better understanding of ocd.

Dont forget there is a family section on the forums, so that non sufferers can understand

Guest Jo.Scanlan

Hi Claire,

I know how hard it can be to look at things from a non-sufferers side... have been through that not so long ago and it almost cost me a few good friends. Sometimes when the pain is too unbearable I also self-harm, especially now that I don't pull my hair, try to have pen and paper next to you and write your feelings, it helps me to calm down and when you look back at it when the anxiety is gone you will be surprised of how different you see things. It´s difficult in the beginning but it gets easier with time.

Regarding your boyfriend's family, I assume they know about your OCD. It must be very difficult for them to understand what it's like. Maybe you should take the opportunity to educate them. remember they don't suffer from it, the only info they have is what they read or what you tell them.

Take care,

Jo

Hello Starfruit

Sorry to hear your having a tough time at the moment

Comparing ocd and anorexia is not fair - and i think if you look at the statisitcs most anorexics dont actually die, but have therapy and can go on to live fulfilling lives - yes they may have quirks about food - as a former bulimic from 20 years ago, i still have a strange relationship with food.

ocd is ongoing, and never stops, its always there - and even though you have therapy and have medication - the symptoms will ease and you will be able to control it, but its always there.

Extreme eating disorders can stay with a person, but most people i know who had eating disorders (a group therapy) around the same time as me have no ongoing mental health problems to do with their eating disorders.

Please dont give this another thought, sometimes people who arent informed can really make a mess of things and without knowing it, upset someone like you very deeply - i'm sure the person who made this comment really didnt mean to cause you such upset,

take care

Melissaxxx

Guest legend

dealing with life on its own is tuf enough, throw in the ocd and it can be even harder.

Not your fault that you crashed, but at least you are all ok.

Yes i to tend to over react but so does everybody under stress, especially after dealing with the anorexia VS ocd issue.

Remember what you have, ocd, totally unwanted thoughts, do not react to them or doubt yourself, otherwise

you will not get better.

My sympathies to all who suffer from both pain is not a competition.

hi bellissima

just wanted to know what that exactly means??

sorry if i'm being loopy!!!!

Melissaxx