'World of Compulsive Hoarders'

Guest hsu

Whilst browsing the tele pages on sky I came across this. So as i'm writing now, it's on tomorrow (wednesday).

'World of Compulsive Hoarders'

Wednesday, channel 4, 11.05pm.

The information reads...

"World of Copulsive Hoarders takes a closer look at the debilitating condition by following four hoarders as each confronts their compulsion at a crucial moments in their life."

I am a hoarder myself so will be watching. It should be interesting to hoarders and non-hoarders alike I think as it is a part/ or linked to OCD.

hsu :)

awesome find hsu :)

I shall take a look at it :). I have just been watching a program on BBC4 (Finishes at 8PM) About life in 1906 at a hospital. Its horrible to see the amount of contamination. I can't believe it!

Thanks!

- Adam

Guest hsu

Sounds grewsome! :lol: I can only imagine!

I'd av watched it bt my dads gearing up to watch the football :football: - "I wouldn't pass go" :a1_cheesygrin:

:)

Guest hsu

You mean you don't know! :O liverpool and chelsea. I have to say I didn't know if I hadn't switched it over to check! :lol:

Time Team's more my cup of tea, just starting! :a1_cheesygrin:

Yeah, i prefer more educational programs especially casualty, time team, and stuff that helps me learn. I Support Man U anyways, although i think *Prepares for a ban* football is a complete waste of time.

Guest hsu

Just a reminder, the program starts in less than an hour from now, at 11.05pm. after desperate housewives - that's if you watch it! :lol:

hsu

Thanks for posting about this HSU, I see ch4 have listed us on their resources page, included the wrong details about us etc including a phone number, never even bothered to tell us about the show, typical media :dry:

Guest hsu

yes I see, I was just looking up the page myself. What a bummer, they should have told u. It is OCD related afterall!

I see that it is also available to watch online through the site. I think you might have to have an account to sign in possibly. I haven't really looked into it, but it's there anyway if anyone misses it.

So far I am not impressed, the show seems to be looking at this in a quirky manner, rather than a sensitive look at the problems faced by the sufferer, with very little mention of treatment so far. It seems more sympathetic to the neighbours and family, although I do agree that these peoples OCD is negatively affecting them.

But so far the show is showing house clear ups with no mention of treatment, so one can only assume the problem will be back in a few months for them.

What do you guys think?

Guest hsu

yes I don't like this part, where the family is making the guy choose between his posessions and his family. I don't know how they can do that. I know it must be hard on them, but with all the hoarders (including myself here) can't help it.

I can see what you mean by a quirky manner. It's the plonky music at intervals when introducing!

I don't find it too distressing, i'm more taken aback by how alike I am and what it could mean for me (future wise) lol. I do think that at certain points they, instead of getting the neighbours opinion ("He's a sick man, he obviously needs some kind of help") - there could be reasons why he's acting this way. (like more supportive and fact based evidence that explains why this person is like this and why they can't help it/and the range of feelings and emotions they go through with this).

+ any treatment options too. why isn't the guy getting help?! Did I miss that? I know he's on benefits, he's just said he would like help. :doh:

I think they should say that not all the hoarders in the world are all collectors of multiple things. I know i'm not. :| They just keep saying not all hoarders are the same - but how are they not the same?! I don't collect my faeces in a tub!

I was also surprised that they say hoarding is recognised at it's worst point, at around 50. :doh: - u mean it's gonna get worse! :p :lol:

I think they could have done a bit better at explaining things to get the message across. ( I find that with most programs of this nature I watch).

There's always the little details they don't include that are the most important and valuable, that seem to be missed out.

The families it seems don't understand either. ?!?!! what's going on there.

Edited by hsu
Guest Nima

I didn't see the show, but I think in general most of these shows are more about gawping at the people involved, rather than treating the subjects as serious problems.

Guest hsu
So far I am not impressed, the show seems to be looking at this in a quirky manner, rather than a sensitive look at the problems faced by the sufferer, with very little mention of treatment so far. It seems more sympathetic to the neighbours and family, although I do agree that these peoples OCD is negatively affecting them.

But so far the show is showing house clear ups with no mention of treatment, so one can only assume the problem will be back in a few months for them.

What do you guys think?

I don't think they'l go back - from the outcome of the program. I agree they could have been more sensitive towards the sufferers. More facts would have been nice; that the narrator could have just slipped in at the right moment, so people could understand the problem better.

I would not like it if my 'hoarding problem' was aired in that way.

I personally, don't think the sufferer 'suffer's' until they have to give things up, [or, when things get so bad that they can't live the way they are]

- I suppose I could have written that for someone with OCD, but there are differences between OCD and hoarding in relation.

Found out about a new self-help book for hoarders today, not read it so no idea if it is any good.

Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding

I am bring sent a review copy HSU, would you like to have it, all I ask is that you put a few words down, write a review for the newsletter for us?

That's very kind ashley. I can't turn you down and say no. I would be happy to help.

I have sent you a pm, let me know what you think.

hsu :)

Guest arcticnick
You mean you don't know! :O liverpool and chelsea. I have to say I didn't know if I hadn't switched it over to check! :lol:

Time Team's more my cup of tea, just starting! :a1_cheesygrin:

Hiya Hsu,

Did you, by any chance see the Time Team program recently, when they dug up Wicken, just north of Milton Keynes?

The main dig was in my parents garden.

My Mum just sent me a copy of the DVD and it seems that Wicken was built on Roman barracks in the 9th century. I thought it was really interesting.

Please dont let this question break your thread.

Edited by arcticnick
Guest 574lk3r

i missed it, but it is one the 4od site,

channel four on demand,

it can be downloaded or streamed if you're in the uk, for free.

gonna watch it soon.

Guest hsu
Hiya Hsu,

Did you, by any chance see the Time Team program recently, when they dug up Wicken, just north of Milton Keynes?

The main dig was in my parents garden.

My Mum just sent me a copy of the DVD and it seems that Wicken was built on Roman barracks in the 9th century. I thought it was really interesting.

Please dont let this question break your thread.

Hi Nick, I don't think I did see it. I've been a bit miffed at not seeing some recently! :weep::headslap:

There's a link on the time team website on the finds and things. It does look interesting, but then again time team, I find, always is :)

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites.../2007_wick.html

It's a shame you can't watch older episodes on 4od. I'm glad they're introducing that sort of thing tho.

hsu

Guest Enable

What do you guys think?

I agree. The show was clearly aimed at sensationalising the condition, and presenting the sufferers as wierdos. It would have been more difficult for the producers to investigate the roots of the problem in greater depth and assess the effect of treatment. Predictably this is not the path they chose. A neutral viewer watching that programme would immediately lose sympathy with the hoarders and brand them as unreasonable, selfish and a little nuts, without really getting a proper insight into the reasons for the condition. The showdown between a hoarding husband and an anti-hoarding 'tag-team' consisting his wife, daughter, a counsellor and the local vicar (!!!) was a particular low-point. This was nothing more than humiliation. A form of force-feeding to try to get the poor man to change his ways. The counsellor should have known better, and I'm still trying to fathom what the vicar had to do with it :doh: ... as far as the producers go, it makes for great TV I guess... so at least someone's a winner.

Enable

Edited by Enable
Guest brennie

Hia, This programme made me feel sick to my stomach,

those 3 individuals had real ocd problems, the programme was more aimed at these people being dirty filthy revolting people ...... WHY was there no emphasis on the real issue of them suffering a disabling illness that needs addressing ... these people need urgent help, its no help to them just goin in there homes and clearing the muck away, they are obviously needing phsyciatric help asap, i felt so sorry for the man keeping muck in buckets ... please someone help this man instead of putting it on tele for everyone to see, that wont help him !!!! he will just start doing exactly the same time and time again because the real issue of ocd does'nt seem to be addressing.

Viewers would have been watching and saying " THE DIRTY SOD " yes he is but HELP him not ridicule him he is SICK for gods sake !!!!!!!!!!

Brennie

The answer is simple guys, help us to raise awareness. Rest assured, all the work we have been involved in as done a god job to raise awareness in the right way, we do turn down shows and magazines that we feel are not right or will sensationalize the subject. Yesterday I turned down the Trisha show for the way they have treated OCD-UK as an organisation and one of our previous participants, the researcher was shocked that I said no to them and tried to excuse the list of problems we have had with that show previously.

Get involved and tell your story, we will do our bit to ensure your story is handled sensitively, but we cant do anything without you guys helping us.

Sorry to hijack the thread....

Ashley, if needed, I would be happy to tell my story. I am a sufferer of contamination OCD, but with the right help and CBT, I have pretty much overcome it now. Not sure if you get any requests for sufferers that have overcome with CBT, but if you do I'm happy to help.

OK...Hijack over!!