Incapacity Benefit

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else on here is getting Incapacity Benefit? I am a little confused about the 'terms' under which I can claim. I am too ill to work, and have been out of education for a while, so I was able to claim. But I have recently started a college course (which is part time) and I'm not sure if I will be able to continue claiming. I still couldn't manage a full time job, but the people in charge of the benefit might think that if I can go to college, then I can get a job - there are differences, but I'm not sure if this would get taken into account. I am living with my parents at the moment, but the extra money does come in handy for extra water and electricity bills and all the money I spend on cleaning things. Just wondered if anyone else is in the same situation? Or if anyone knows the 'ins and outs' of claiming. Anything would be much appreciated.

Hi fruitloops

I claim incapacity benefit and understand that you can attend college and undertake voluntary work for up to 16 hours per week without it affecting your entitlement. But the whole area is a bit of a minefield and I would suggest you talk to a disability advisor eg at your local Citizens Advice Bureau, or sometimes the local council (social services) will have one. Below is the link to the social security's (DWP) own web site and this should lead you to information on IB. I think you can even download the application form. Incidentally if you claim IB you are also allowed to earn up to £20 per week under the 'permitted earnings' rule without it affecting your benefit. Every little bit helps when you can't work and you are absolutely right to say that college and in my case, vol work, are totally different from full time paid work.

http://www.disability.gov.uk

If you want try a search on the internet for 'incapacity benefit' and you'll find more sites than you ever wished to know!

From what you say in your post, you also appear to need assistance with certain personal taks such as laundry and it may be worth your while applying for disability living allowance (DLA). However, this is a notoriously difficult benefit to claim and you would need assistance with filling in the forms.

Income support may be another option for you. I know it's not always easy applying for this assistance, but you have to live and if you are not well enough to work then you are entitled to support. Please God it will be a temporary measure and one day you will be able to work.

I've found out quite a bit on the internet and also had advice from a benefits advisor. You may find there are a few hoops to jump through and the social security love giving you forms to fill in :wallbash: . But stick with it and do what you can as regards college etc.

Catherine :lol:

Guest FobicFairy

Hiyah,

I get incapacity benefit and also DLA.

You can not only go to college whilst getting Incapactiy Benefit, but you can also do 'theraputic work'. The rules changed recently so that you can do a limited number of hours a week, the earnings are also limited as quoted in the previous post. You have to keep the benefits office informed of changes, so you can ring and let them know you are studying, they usually send out a form for you to fill in. They then send you a letter to confirm if it is ok for you to carry on and claim. I am 99.9% sure you will be fine. This is just a procedure, they are not the friendliest bunch of people and stick to basics, so don't be scared if they send a form, it's just so that they know your circumstances and have a written record.

DLA is for people who need help with basic living needs such as washing and feeding themselves. If you are unable to go out alone, or need help buying foodstuffs you may get mobility. If there is a problem with bathing, using the loo, preparing a proper cooked meal for yourself once a day then you may be able to claim the 'care' portion of DLA. It doesn't matter if a parent is already doing these things for you, you can still claim, then it is up to you what you do with the money. You can give it to your parents to help out or even employ a carer for a few hours to take the pressure of a parent. (thats if you need help, I obviously don't know your circumstances so ignore this if it's not relevant)

If one of your parents is doing a lot of things for you, personal care in particular you may be able to claim Carers Allowance. If you look on the link you were given it should tell you about that also.

The CAB are brilliant at dealing with these claims so I would see them if at all possible, it's worth getting the forms and taking them with you, they are very familar with the procedures and the correct way to word things.

If you do apply for DLA, don't be put off if you get turned down first time, this is sort of an unspoken game, ive seen it many times. When the decision comes through you will be given reasons, if you don't agree with what they say, you just fill in another form stating why you think they are wrong and they reconsider your case. The CAB have a lot of clout, so keep that in mind.

Re the theraputic work, under the new rules when you are finally ready to try working again you can work for a period of time to see how you cope. There is quite a long time in which if you don't cope you can go straight back on Incapacity Benefit and you don't even lose out if you got a higher rate on a long term claim.

The goverment have finally worked out that a lot of people on benefits are too scared to try to work in case it isn't successful and they end up without any money, this new rules makes sure you have a lengthy period to try out a job without any fear of losing out. Good innit.

FF