aware of my ***** area

I have become aware of my ***** . I have been worried about losing my ***** in a accident, maybe someone cutting it iff with a knife... maybe even me cutting it off with a knife(self mutilation) I have also started to be more and more concious of it between my legs, Has anyone else had this.

lol :helpsmilie:

I think you have just become 'Obsessed' with thinking about this area of anatomy.

OCD is a funny old thing and it's easy for any of us to fall into the trap of thinking it can be placed into categories, under neat headings. My belief and understanding is that it can't....OCD can attach itself to any thought, any worry and that thing we then put our attention on becomes the focus of our worry.

Who knows what started the first brief thought, it doesn't really matter but once you became aware of this particular problem, it has now become an obsession. The fact that you feel an awareness isn't unusual, it's very similar to those who feel they're sexually aroused by a 'wrong' thought....when you put your attention on an area of your body, you can usually feel a sensation.....take a look at 'Imp of The Mind' which describes this sort of sensation.

The fears of mutilation are again very similar to any other OCD worry....a bit like someone who suddenly fears they may become suicidal etc.....it's a worry that you will 'Do Something' that you don't want to do, which would horrify you....that's why it is holding so much power.

It's like any other OCD problem, you have to label it for what it is and try not to check for sensations, make adjustments etc.

It's a worry thought like all OCD ones are

Caramoole :)

Yes, I know what you mean, lol. I've had very similar obsessions to this, and very unpleasant it was too.

Caramoole is right, you have to relabel, and then distract yourself.

does anyone knoe about exposure for this kind of thing? I would say focus on the area that is worrying you, but I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do in this situation?

I wish I could advise you from my experience of it, lol, but the truth is I just suffered the thoughts until they eventually went away and changed to something different. Then again, I didn't know about relabelling and distraction then, so I have higher hopes for you :)