Know of other resources?

Guest Jimbo

Hi All,

It's that time of year again. Winter is drawing in and so is a huge dark cloud over me. I feel run down hacked off and don't want to do anything, let alone get up in the mornings. Why is it that SAD that affects "normal" people is an issue but SAD that affects depressives isn't spoken about? A real double whammy, maybe I need to take a second course of anti-ds to get over the sad as well? "Take one of these a night Mr Jimbo and all will be well in 6 weeks!"

My girlfriend is having a very hard time at her new job and is bringing it home and I find it very difficult to be supportive as all I really want to do is disappear into the bottom of a bottle as I know that will see me through this. However I'm stronger than that now. How am I supposed to be an ear and an answer when I am doing all I can to hold myself together?

Does anyone know of a depression board (or a gad board on a lesser note) like we have here on the OCD front. I know this board and the old one have helped me through a lot of other problems and I feel I need to take the next step.

I'm still waiting to hear about my psycho-therapy, has been 10 months now. I really don't want to spend another winter of discontent. Sorry about the long post.

Jimbo.

Hi Jimbo,

Sorry that SAD is causing problems, I have had it mildly in the past. Have you got one of the light box's? I am told they really do help, but they are expensive (Between £120-£200).

With regards GAD Bulletin Boards, I know that the other anxiety charities like No Panic and NPS do have Bulletin Boards but only for paid up members. I am also not sure how much usage they get and if they would help.

I know that the Depression Alliance charity also only have their Bulletin Board for paid up members.

Try this one:

Emotional Healing http://groups.msn.com/EmotionalHealing

Guest Hypnosinc

Hi Jimbo,

SAD always gets an airing at this time of year, and it's quite right that it should, as there is still so much that we can learn about it. It might be worth looking back at old posts on the subject.

Light boxes are excellent, tho not many of us have that kind of money to lay out. But you can virtually make your own, by re-equipping your home with natural daylight bulbs for about £5 a time. (I will take advice on the cost of the bulbs, because they were £4 the last time I looked, which was few years ago!)

The easiest thing you can do for yourself is to get outside for at least an hour a day in whatever daylight there is, because that will boost your seratonin levels. That is often a problem, because in a depressed state the last thing many people want to do is go out, so it does require overcoming a certain inertia.

Guest Dragonfruit

Hi Jimbo

I can certainly sympathise with you on this one. The mornings are getting dark and the evenings are getting dark and it can be fairly miserable.

I know that in another couple of weeks I am going to be getting up for work in the dark, going to work in the dark, working in an office during any daylight hours and then leaving for home again in the dark. Very miserable.

I find that the best thing that works for me is exercise. The increased energy you get from this really helps lift your mood - and obviously getting outside during daylight helps. Ideally excercising outside at about noon would be perfect! Try and find something you enjoy doing outside - walking in the park, blading, football, whatever it is and try to do it once a day.

I couldn't afford a lightbox so I got a stepper and a bouncy CD instead - and it really can help.

Hope you find something you can enjoy al fresco!! :blushing: