how good is Clomipramine

Guest Ray

Hi again everyone...

Can anyone tell me how good Clomipramine (anafranil) is for compulsions or what the best drug would be for compulsions.

As I have stated in the past I have compulsions to wish bad things on my loved ones which I don't mean.The thoughts funny enough don't bother me half as bad as the compulsions..I have only tried Seroxat and that was as helpful as a piece of chewing gum or an opal fruit..Didn't feel an ease in compulsions what so ever..So if anyone knows any other med I should try I would be very grateful

Ray, I think what you'll find is that getting the right drug is very individual and that each person responds differently. Clomipramine has a good record of helping OCD and is one of the tried and trusted drugs of choice for many dr's. I know of some people who have done well on it, whereas I personally didn't find it helpful. But then I like Seroxat as it helps my mood, although like with yourself it dosn't touch my ocd! So it's really a case of personal experimentation with your dr and don't be suprised if it takes a long time to get the mixture right for you.

Good luck and be patient because new meds can take a while to get used to

Catherine :whistling:

Guest FobicFairy

Hi Ray,

I took Anafranil when I first got OCD properly about 3-4 years ago, I found it helped me a bit, but not as much as Seroxat. It was mainly help with depression and anxiety, not the OCD though.

Catherine is bang on, it isn't a case of which drug is the best, it's which drug is going to suit you and you wont know until you try them.

I don't know of any drug that actually stops OCD, they can make you feel less anxious and more able to fight it using CBT, but don't pin your hopes on a cure in a pill as I don't think you will find it.

Give each drug a fair chance though, it can take a few weeks upto a few months in some cases to see the benefits. Your GP will be able to tell you when it should kick in, if there is no change, go back to see him and you can try another. good luck.

FF

Hi Ray,

Just thought I'd say something about Clomipramine(Anafranil). I have been taking it now for quite a while with no serious effects apart from sleepiness, :whistling:. It has helped quite a lot with the OCD I think or perhaps it has really just helped lessen the associated depression. I was in a real state and it has helped me regain some level of 'normality' (what ever that is) in my life.

I remember having a dry mouth and woosiness when first taking it but that wore off after a few days. Most importantly with any drugs you must give them time to take effect and also realise that what works for one person may or may not work for others. Like others (wiser than I) have said if things dont work out you can always try something else.

Hope that made some sense Ray!

Take care,

Matthw

Hi again everyone...

Can anyone tell me how good Clomipramine (anafranil) is for compulsions or what the best drug would be for compulsions.

As I have stated in the past I have compulsions to wish bad things on my loved ones which I don't mean.The thoughts funny enough don't bother me half as bad as the compulsions..I have only tried Seroxat and that was as helpful as a piece of chewing gum or an opal fruit..Didn't feel an ease in compulsions what so ever..So if anyone knows any other med I should try I would be very grateful

17468[/snapback]

Hi Ray,

I'm on Clomipramine - quite a high dose, I think (225mg) but it is the only drug that I feel relieves my OCD symptoms. It didn't work straight away, but when I'd been on it for a few weeks, I definitely felt that my intrusions and need to do the compulsions were reduced.

I am taking it along with an anti-anxiety med and the combination seems good.

It's the same old story of trial and error - what works for one may not work for another.

The side effects are not too bad - dry mouth and a bit tired at times - but definitely not severe enough to undo the good work it's doing.

Hope this helps and you soon find some meds that help you.

Take care

whitebeam