MRSA hospital superbug fears

Guest The Twisted Cube

Guest The Twisted Cube

hi everyone, :)

hope u are all well,

im really woried at the moment because ive got to have an operation soon, its only routine surgery and Im not really worried about the op itself, but more about the recent MRSA SUPER BUG stories in the news. Im concerned that i might contract the infection, even though im only going to be in for a day, its one of them day-ward jobbies. Anyway, to the point, does anybody know if there is any risk here? somebody told me not to have a bath/shower whilst in there, and somebody else told me not to go in at all, since its not a life death situation. The worse part is i wasnt evn worried about it until a friend mentioned it to me. Please help, im worrying now :huh: :crybaby:

luv TTC

Hi TTC,

Try not to worry, easier said than done I know. I am not an expert but I suspect you are at a greater risk from crossing the road.

Most OCD patients let minor issues become full blown worries, I know I used to, still do.

Try not to worry.

Hi TTC

I think the good thing is you are only going in for the day so I reckon the risk would be miniscule. My understanding is that MRSA particularly targets vulnerable people who are maybe poorly or have had something like chemotherapy. Also, if you have a wound it will not be exposed as a day case so I really don't feel you would fall into a 'high risk group'.

I know what you mean about hygiene and personally I think the state of cleanliness in hospitals today is largely a disgrace. So I guess I wouldn't go exploring too far and just basically be sensible. It is true that infection can be caught from showers, but again the chances of your particular shower being infected is low. Maybe if you only stay the day you can just shower at home if this would make you easier.

Risk is about balancing probabilities and I would go ahead with the op

Catherine :crybaby: