Do you forget what you was about to say?

I was just in PM with another user and that person mentioned that they had forgot what they were about to say to me and I find it is often something that I do and I was wondering it maybe it might be an OCD trait?

Most OCD sufferers have a very active brain, which is part of our problem really, but I wonder if that brain working fast between different thoughts might be what makes us forget what we were about to say?

eeer, what was I on about? I forgot :crybaby:

Oooo goody - another 'late-to-bedder' (if that makes sense)! :tongue:

I have actually seen more posts on here tonight than I do in the day! Maybe it's just me... :crybaby:

I have actually seen more posts on here tonight than I do in the day!  Maybe it's just me... :crybaby:

17560[/snapback]

Weekends are usually quiet on the forums until Sunday night, weekdays it is usually more active.

Really? I find that strange - I would usually assume it would be more active at the weekend when people aren't at work...

And at last my tiredness is catching up with me, so I'm off to bed!!

Night all! :crybaby:

Guest Dragonfruit
I was just in PM with another user and that person mentioned that they had forgot what they were about to say to me and I find it is often something that I do and I was wondering it maybe it might be an OCD trait?

Most OCD sufferers have a very active brain, which is part of our problem really, but I wonder if that brain working fast between different thoughts might be what makes us forget what we were about to say?

eeer, what was I on about? I forgot  :huh:

17551[/snapback]

Yep - I do this all the time!

The other thing I'm really bad for is connecting seemingly random things in my head and then asking what I feel to be a perfectly logical question as a response to someone and then when asked how I got to that from the original subject find it hard to remember!

Like if someone (X) asked me the name of the actor who played the pirate in Pirates of the Carribean. I would think about Johnny Depp (and I might answer with the name straight away) but then I would think about say Nightmare on Elm Street (in which he starred) and then from that I'd go to a stripy top (what Freddie wore in the movie) and from that I'd start to think about TopShop (where I bought a stripy top) and then from there I'd ask if X knew where my new black boots were (bought from a shop on the same street as TopShop). To which X would say "what has that got to do with anything!!!".

Makes perfect sense to me though!! :crybaby:

(Usually slightly more obscure connections but I couldn't remember a recent example :) :lol: )

Guest Automated Alice

Oh, my God, Dragonfruit!!

Thank god someone else does this, (I thought I was becomng even more psychotic!! :crybaby: )

I always panic and get a cold chill when someone says, "where did that just come from?"

Phew!!

And sometimes I can think of somethong i want to look up on the internet, and 5 secs later, its gone, so frustrating!!!

Ooh Ash, youve got me started now, theres so many frustrating things like this I could mention, but..............Guess what? :huh:

Alice x :)

Guest Dragonfruit

Glad to reassure you! I've never been worried about it particularly - most people think it's quite endearing - if a bit confusing - but I've always just thought that they are a bit slow on the uptake!!! Teeeheehee! :crybaby:

Guest twoshoes

I do this and it's frustrating. I had a nice Psych who said it was because of the thoughts looping and because I was having to concentrate to hard on OCD. Like trying to do a crossword, remembering your shopping list, having a conversation with the TV and radio on, somethings got to give.

You know I think I do this too... but I have forgotten of an example!! :huh:

I especially agree with the forgetting of things though - and yeah I do the internet thing - I think of something and think to myself "ooo I'll go and look that up on the net", and then I'll come upstairs, sit down at the pc and think "what was I going to look up?"...!

I also have extreme problems at the moment trying to keep a conversation going with people. I'll be chatting away and then my brain will start thinking of something else and I'll just stop talking and start staring into space and the person I'm with will go "hellooooo, are you going to finish what you were saying?" and I'll be like "erm yeah... what WAS I saying???"!!!! :crybaby:

I even did this on the phone the other day... I went quiet and the person I was talking to said "you're doing that staring into space thing again aren't you?!" - hahahaha!!

Even though our illness isn't a joke, I sometimes wonder what it would be like to make a sketch and watch ourselves in these situations... :)

Andrea

Guest Hypnosinc

What makes you think it might be an aspect of OCD? I do it often. I even go upstairs and when I get there, can't remember why. I put it down to my age, but it is probably more to do with the fact that we can only do so many things at any one time.

It is sometimes known as the rule of "7 +/- 2", which suggests that the most things one can do at any one time is 7. If you have to take on any other information or activity, something has to drop.

It is not a psychological malfunction, it's just the way it is. :crybaby:

What makes you think it might be an aspect of OCD?  I do it often. I even go upstairs and when I get there, can't remember why. I put it down to my age, but it is probably more to do with the fact that we can only do so many things at any one time. 

It is sometimes known as the rule of "7  +/- 2", which suggests that the most things one can do at any one time is 7. If you have to take on any other information or activity, something has to drop.

It is not a psychological malfunction, it's just the way it is. :crybaby:

17596[/snapback]

I am only 24 - it's def not my age.

I think what we're all trying to say is, we can be thinking about just one thing, but because people with OCD tend to have very active brains and are always thinking - it's difficult to focus on the one thing sometimes. I know I'm not always like this - but am at a time where I'm suffering from depression and OCD together and my memory and concentration have been affected greatly by it.

Guest Hypnosinc

You are quite right and that is why the "= or - 2" was added because there will be occasions when, owing to stress, depression or anxiety, you don't function at the full limits. Conversely, when you are riding on a high, you can even go beyond the normal limit.

I always do that thing where someone says something - then its links to loadsa different things in my head, and I come out with a random comment or question. I know my mum always thinks its odd lol

And the forgettin what I'm sayin thing is so much a part of my personality lol. My friends are used to it though. Anything seems to distract me and I'll totally forget what I was going to say. It really irritates my b/f that I forget big things he tells me but I can remember irrelevant bits of information lol.

Just how I am though I think.

Aurora :crybaby:

I often get half way through a sentence and completely forget what I'm talking about, but the oddest thing I do is to substitute a different word from the one I am meaning to say. Sometimes it is related - I might say 'dish-washer' instead of 'washing machine' but at other times the word I substitute is just bizarre :crybaby: .

Guest FobicFairy

I often forget what my point was and forget what I was about to say, also I come out with weird random things that my partner finds very amusing. They are usually questions like what does a certain word mean, or what does he think of X, that kind of thing.

My mind never switches off, it is constantly thinking and it's never quiet in my head, I thought everyone was like that???

FF

Naaah - they're not!! Have you ever tried meditating? Those who meditate can empty their minds of thoughts... I for one find it impossible!!

:huh: :crybaby: :)

What makes you think it might be an aspect of OCD?  I do it often. I even go upstairs and when I get there, can't remember why. I put it down to my age, but it is probably more to do with the fact that we can only do so many things at any one time. 

Glad I'm not the only one that does this! I'm usually sat at the computer upstairs writing an essay or something (or pretending to anyway :huh: ) and will go downstairs with the intention of getting a dictionary, pick up the cat and come straight back up again, sit down, realise what I've done, go down again, get something to eat and come back up again! Usually remember by the 3rd time :crybaby:!

Yeah I do that - that's not really what I meant though regarding this topic. I think everyone to an extent does the 'go downstairs and come back empty-handed' thing...?

Yeah I do that - that's not really what I meant though regarding this topic.  I think everyone to an extent does the 'go downstairs and come back empty-handed' thing...?

17664[/snapback]

Eeek - that wasn't supposed to come out quite so blunt!! :omg: Sorry!!!

Have you ever tried meditating?  Those who meditate can empty their minds of thoughts... I for one find it impossible!!

My dad meditates - he finds it really good :huh:

17660[/snapback]

Does your Dad have any tips for clearing the mind of thoughts? Whenever I have tried to meditate, my mind is racing with thoughts and I can't help but think... by which time I'm then conscious of the time and getting quite bored!! :crybaby:

Grrrr... my stress levels are rising!!

I had to pop to Tesco and made a mental note of what I had to buy. Also reminded myself by counting on my fingers the number of things I needed.

I went to Tesco, and could not remember for the life of me what the 5th item was! I came away with 3 items, as the 4th item was sold out much to my annoyance.

I am home now and it's really bugging me that I can't remember what the 5th item was. :wallbash:

Deep breaths... sorry - just needed to vent my frustration!!

:down:

Oh no!

What if there wasn't a 5th item and I've gone mad instead...

I have looked around the house for hints as to what it could be and nothing... zilch...

:wallbash:

Guest FobicFairy

Hi,

I make a list and often keep a notepad handy so that if I think of something I can write it down, the problem is remembering to look at the list :down:

I do visual relaxtion sometimes and find because the process involves counting until you relax and then concentrating on am image it's easier to replace thoughts with soothing feelings. I get myself into a state where I am totally relaxed by counting and relaxing a part of my body at a time, then I start the images, I have a safe place, it's a beach and I control everything, it's safe and warm and there are no bugs and only people that I like can come into it if I want to bring them in. I usually just concentrate on lying on my back with the sun on my face, eyes closed and feeling the texture of the sand between my fingers and listening to the sea. It can help you get off to sleep as well as relax if you have insomnia like me.

It takes a bit of practice, I started off by thinking about a lemon, again relaxing my body, counting back then eventually smelling the lemon, feeling the waxiness, peeling the rind and finally biting into it, you know when you are ready to move on because you pull a face because it's so sharp to taste :wallbash: Once you get the hang of it the world is your oyster.

FF