Christmas Card checking nightmare begins!

Oh, no!

I've started writing Christmas cards, and I keep checking (and double-checking!) that I haven't written

insults, expletives and obscenities in them!

I'd forgotten that this happens to me. Should have seen it coming! :p

Guest Erratic

Hi all ,

Hi newman , yes i do get that checking thing all the time as well , do you know something i just say to my self ahh whats the worst that can happen .... my father or something will get a card with me cursing him out of it :shutup: ..... so be it its no big deal he would just laugh , thtas how i combat my OCD i do things it does not want me to do then it does not bother me about htem again ......

Guest charlie75

I hate writing christmas cards too, for the same reason.

I only write about 3 at a time, otherwise it takes too long. I check them a few times then have to open the envolope to check again.

I have never written anything bad in them so I suppose I never will.

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean, I have that and I have about 20 or so to do this year. Not looking forward to it, but I have to do it as I can't give in to it. I also get intrusive thoughts whilst writing as well, and attach them to what I've written and then want to rip up the card and do it again to get rid of the bad thought. But I'm going to write them, send the cards and just live with it!!!!!

I guess the best way to look at it is to see if you have any evidence you have ever written anything bad in a card before, and we all know that we would actually never do this and it's just the OCD trying to trip us into thinking we have!

Hope you get them done OK.

Take care.

Fer7

Hi newman

Just a quick suggestion. It's an exposure exercise which you could try if you feel up to it, and is designed to follow the principles of CBT / ERP and should probably only be done if you understand those principles.

Why don't you actually write some expletives, insults or obscenities in the cards of a selected few people whom you trust and can inform that they may receive a card from you with these words in. It would have to be people who understand OCD of course.

I did something like this recently with some text messages to a trusted friend (thanks - you know who you are :-) ). I don't have a particular problem with cards or messages, but it was practice in dealing with an obsession with right and wrong / rule-breaking etc.

Hope this may help.

Stephen

Thanks, guys!

Actually, I'm alright, you know. It's just a bit of a nuisance: A bit more stress at an already stressful time of year.

(And it wastes time!)

Hope my posts here don't seem too flippant. I know a lot of you guys have serious problems and are feeling low.

I guess I'm trying to cheer people up! :original:

Take care.

"newman"

Guest Klaxons82

Hi,

See this as avoidance or doing something for the planet, best the later. But why not tell everyone that next year you'll be making a donation with the money you would have used for Christmas Cards. You could donate the money to any charity of your choice and let them know.

Guest Soldiering on
Oh, no!

I've started writing Christmas cards, and I keep checking (and double-checking!) that I haven't written

insults, expletives and obscenities in them!

I'd forgotten that this happens to me. Should have seen it coming! :p

I so feel for you....! I completely underdstand this. The best and worst thing you can do is just let someone check it before you put it in the envelope. I sometimes do this with Birthday cards I write at work.

That way you know you're fine, but at the same time you haven't really told the OCD to stuff it.

Sometimes you just have to go for it. I'm stepping out of my comfort zone ALL the time now. It drives the OCD mad, but it does stun it into silence for a while....

Are you actually getting them off in the end? And as soon as you've posted them do you do what I do and just imagine the bad words on the card as if you've seen them with your own eyes? :a1_cheesygrin:

Ah, what's the worst that can happen? Seriously... You just won't get a Xmas card back next year.

J

xxx