Many types of OCD

Guest DeanoIV

Mine include:

Cleaning/ritual hand-washing (my main OCD)

Checking things repeatedly

Horrible/scary/ugly images and thoughts

Worrying that people are lying/plotting against me

Hi Mat and :welcome: to the forums

There are several broad headings that cover OCD, checking, contamination, magical thinking, counting, Pure 'O' (purely obsessional) to name but a few and within those categories they can manifest as literally millions of different/individual OCD thoughts or fears.

Apart from offering a bit of comfort by knowing that it's 'not just us', it doesn't really matter in terms of dealing with our own OCD. We can become obsessive about almost anything or any thought that we have and that's why the number of ways it can present are almost incalcuable. Knowing that it's OCD and that these are false fears caused by a malfunction and our reaction to those fears, is far more important. If we treat every different OCD type with the same fear, the same reaction, we've got problems because we then stumble from one episode to the other placing importance on each new fear as it arrives.

The best skill is to learn that 'Yes, this is OCD' no matter what disguise it's wearing and deal with facing out the OCD itself and trying not to place importance on the actual type.

I hope that makes sense

Caramoole :)