Deep Brain Stimulation article

Guest honey

You see, this is the thing. I think it would be beneficial to be able to access what this treatment - and others - actually involves. I appreciate that there are risks involved in DBS, but equally, surely it's better for people to be in full possession of the facts and then to judge for themselves once in possession of that information. I think it would be more effective than saying, "There is x:y risk of this, x:y risk of this, it could be irreversible" but not having all the information available in one place for any OCD-UK member to access for themselves. Like a resource page with links to relevant articles, studies, etc.

Frankly, knowing about the procedure itself (as used in Parkinson's - which is where I've seen it before) is enough to put me right off the idea, never mind potential side-effects. But there again, perhaps with time, there might just be something in this. Maybe this is the crude beginnings of a real cure. Who knows? The brain is a complex "thingy"... :lol:

Edited by Shar

It definitely is - I like this description of the brain as a 'complex thingy' - mine certainly is!

Anyway, taking on board absolutely everything Ashley says as true and sensible - I agree with you Shar that really we'd all like more info and nothing should ever be ruled out. Are there not some people whose quality of life is so poor that they could consider surgery? Otherwise we are separating mental illness from physical illness - cos there will always be situations where patients with, say, a rare form of cancer volunteer to be the first to try a risky new procedure. Patients with mental illnesses (and that's how I still personally see severe ocd) essentially face the same situation, surely?

Btw I speak as someone who would probably never have the db surgery and I don't see it as a miracle cure. Persistent adherence to CBT is the only real solution I have found - but I know there are lots of people worse off than me.

honey

• 2 weeks later...
Guest InsaneIain

Well, I read this thread with some interest having undergone gamma knife surgery for OCD last September in the US, the 53rd person to do so. No noticeable effects yet but it takes 3 to 6 months for anything to happen so I'm not too disillusioned yet. It cost me just shy of $30,000 but if it works it'll be priceless.

Well, I read this thread with some interest having undergone gamma knife surgery for OCD last September in the US, the 53rd person to do so. No noticeable effects yet but it takes 3 to 6 months for anything to happen so I'm not too disillusioned yet. It cost me just shy of $30,000 but if it works it'll be priceless.

What does gamma knife involve Iain? Is it something you feel comfortable telling us more about?