How can I return to work?

I hope someone out there could guide me in the right direction.

I’m twenty-five and suffer from intrusive nasty thoughts about harming kids, animals etc, also writing nasty things to people as well as a number of other things.

I was diagnosed in the my last year of Uni and have been through two bouts of CBT since then. I finished my last batch last year.

I am a whole lot better then I use to be even though a lot of thing still bother me.

Still, I have to find a job.

I’ve only tried working once since I was diagnosed, I only lasted a week…terrible. I then went back for treatment.

I have to work though but I’m petrified…

I hardly have any experience in work places so my CV looks abysmal even though I’m twenty five which make me feel horrible.

When I was getting treatment my psychologist phoned up a charity/support group who helped people get back into work, guiding them in the right path; they said I wasn’t a serious enough case for their help.

I don’t know who to turn to. I know if I grab any job I’m going to let them down like last time. I scared I’m going to work myself up into a state again. I’m not even sure what job to look for, how to look for it… I really don't want to fail again.

Does anyone know what I could? Does any one have any suggestions?

I’d be ever so grateful if you do.

My family have supported me through everything but they’ve never pressured me into working, not once.

I need to start working or I never will, fear and a lack of confidence is really holding me back.

Any way thanks for your time. Hope this wasn’t rubbish.

Take care

Lots of Love

Ally

Guest Gettingbetter

Hello Ally

It is very difficult to work when the obssessions are strong and the anxiety is high and also the panic.

I would suggest in order to find out what you might like to do is to do an aptitude test or psychometric test to see what areas of work you would be strong at.

Another idea would be to meet with a career guidance counsellor who will be able to help guide you or meet with some recruitment agencies and sit down with them and see if there are any temporary roles that could go to permanent or even just do some temping work for the timbeing to get you back into the swing of work again.

I run my own company and I find it extremely hard when my anxiety is high but I just like we all do have to plough ahead and keep strong.

If you need any further advice please contact me again.

GB

hiya ally

im currently having work problems due to my own ocd.

im wondering if maybe you could start somewhere small, whilst you look for a job you want (i know its a while from applying to starting, also the job hunt take a huge chuck of your time)??

for example, you could do 1 day a week in a charity shop, or maybe a couple of hours 2 time a week, or at your localk hospitals volunteers cafe??

i think youd be able to put this on a cv, it shows willingness to work, it might lift your spirits to do something or the community, itd be a good distraction from your thoughts.

because im going to give you some advice that i need to take myself....

....dont think you have to jump in at the deep end, you said yourself that the last time you tried it only lasted a week, maybe if your doing a few hours, its will be easier to ease yourself in??? going straight into full time work is hard if youve been off!

you could even tell the shop manager that youwant to do a small amount of volunteering as youve been out of work with stress and would like toease back in??

i really hope you manage to find a fulfilling job that uses your talents and you can go into work without worrying somuch, i hope the same for myself!!!

good luck, let us know how you get on

alison

Look at prehaps trying to find a part time job ?

or maybe volunteer ?

do u have any money ?

are u on benefit ?

my doctor told me that sometimes you are too unwell to work try thinking your "job" is to really take care of yourself till you feel better

spend your time keeping fit, eating well etc whilst all those people are working long hours in the office !!

you could contact shaw trust and see if they can help

Hi Ally,

I'm having similar difficulties at the moment. I've now been off work for about 4 years and feel the idea of getting back to work quite scary.

I think the idea of doing volunteer work is a good one. I did look into this just before Christmas - but I panicked on the day I was due to have an interview and didn't go :blushing: . However, I'm planning to try again.

As alison says, you'll be able to put the voluntary work on your cv and possibly use the people you've worked with as a referee.

Also you will be able to do just a few hours to start with and hopefully build up when you feel ready.

Frankie said,

my doctor told me that sometimes you are too unwell to work try thinking your "job" is to really take care of yourself till you feel better

and I agree. Getting well can be a job in itself until you are ready for work.

I guess at some time you have to take a chance and find out if you're ready.

Take care :original:

whitebeam

If you are on a sickness benefit, such as incapacity, or disability premium, I would definitely recommend the Shaw Trust.

My son met up with them as he has exactly the same problem as you, but because he doesnt have a sickness benefit (he cant have incapacity as he hasnt worked so doesnt have the necessary contribution history....vicious circle!), they cant help at the moment.

He now has income support, but we are fighting for disability premium which means he can go back to the Shaw Trust.

Seems absolute madness that people like you and he want to work but unless you are on the right benefits no one is prepared to give any support!

If you are on a sickness benefit, such as incapacity, or disability premium, I would definitely recommend the Shaw Trust.

Thanks, Carol. Just been to have a look and it looks really helpful :original: .

Edited by Guest

Just so you know my son got as far as meeting with the Shaw Trust representative. She met him at the local Jobplus Centre and explained to my son exactly how it all worked....she was very helpful and very nice, with absolutely no pressure. Just need to get the benefits now!

Another word of advice, If you're not on benefits, get on them. My son has discovered so much isnt available to him because he wasnt on benefits. I just wish someone had told us a couple of years ago!

Edited by Guest