Can ocd really make you belive you have done something you haven't?

Guest natal

Hi, sorry to keep going on about the same thing. The thought I had done something wrong and forgot or blocked it out is back. What I can't seem to get my head round is if I really didn't do something wrong why is my head still thinking about it trying to find the answer, I don't no if i'm blaming ocd for my bad behaviour or if i'm really innocent I just can't tell. I just can't let go!! I think to myself there is no possible way even if you have ocd that you could think that you have done something bad when you haven't and your brain makes you belive you have, or is that what ocd really does to you. Anyone experience this? maybe not the same worry as me but have you worried you have done something wrong and blocked it out and then later realised it was not true at all. I'm thinking of going back on the tablets, do you think I will start to think straight more I was only ever on them for 2 months. It's seems that the only way my worry goes is if I have a new worry. I had forgotten about this for a while, but the other day me and my friend were talking she's the same as me and then she started my off again.

Hi Natal

Yes ocd can most definately make you think that you have done things when you haven't. I have experienced this. In time it fades and you realise you haven't. I have a few obsessions.... 1 stays with me for a few months then they switch. So really if they were true they would always be with me and wouldn't switch, if that makes sense.

Try to take your mind away from it, advise I should also take, easier said than done. Kepp fighting this horrible illness and one day you will wake up with a smile on your face.

Take care xx

Hi

This is something I used to suffer really bad with and the answer is most definitely YES!

My CBT counsellor described it as thought action fusion (where you think you will do something) and thought event fusion (where you think you have done something).

I agree that in time the intensity of the thoughts does deminish. Sometimes the coviction that I have done something is so strong I've resorted to hitting myself or hurting myself in some other way just as a distraction.

Cheers

Spider30

Guest Brainstrain

Hello!

Yes this is DEFINITELY something that ocd does! I am plagued by these thoughts most of the time! I think you just learn to cope with them after a while!

Good Luck

Brainstrain xx

It's so crazy that your mind can do this to you. I suppose it's similar to the person who thinks they have run someone over, your mind is telling you have run someone over but you would know if you have... but the mind is telling you have is alot stronger than common sense. I have also had this worry that i have run someone over, I know i would feel it but my mind tells me i have run someone over.

Hey,

My brain tells me I have done something wrong every day right now.. OCD sucks, even thought you rationally know you haven't done something, it plants a seed of doubt - for example for me, I have a few items I don;t like touching (a bag outside), I am trying to work on this because I know avoidance is bad, but that aside, the bag is OUTSIDE and I can be inside with the door closed, but my OCD will convince me that I have touched the bag..... it's crazy!

I REALLY DESPISE OCD AT THE MOMENT, it's a horrible monster!

Sorry my reply isn't much help, but to let you know you're not alone!

Am :)

Guest PeaceOfMind

Hey natal,

I have also wondered if ocd can do this. I am still having trouble with my situation (see my previous posts if you want). I keep having people say that it's probably ocd and not a real thought because of my guilty feelings associated with it, but in my case, it's something that I would feel very guilty about if I had actually done it, so I wonder.

I guess this is what makes it hard to get past, you think to yourself "well if I didn't do anything wrong than why do I feel this very real guilt?" I also wonder why my mind would make this up, and why can't let go of it if's it's not real?

It seems like you have similar problems to mine. I'm sorry I can't offer any good advice, but I'm sure there are people on here that can really help you. I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, I know exactly how you feel..hang in there.