worried about social services!

Guest Brainstrain

Guest Brainstrain

Hi all

I was going to go back to the doctors next week to ask to be put back on the meds I was on before which really helped with my ocd. I was coping with the ocd well without but so many things have happened since the birth of my daughter and I'm finding it all a bit stressful so the ocd is having a field day.

Anyway I'd resigned myself to asking the doctor for the meds but then I keep hearing stories about women who are having their babies taken away because of mental health issues. The thing is I know deep down I'm a good mum and the health visitor and everyone are pleased with my baby and tell me I'm doing well but the ocd constantly makes me doubt myself.

Now I'm worried that if I go to the doctors with what is essentially a mental health problem it could end up with social services getting involved and I really couldn't face that.

Brainstrain x

Hi Brainstrain

When I had my daughter 22 months ago my ocd went into overdrive and had to pay many visits to the mother and baby unit as an out patient. I too worryed like you but the docs and all involved were brill and having your baby taken away will never happen. You must go and sort out your medication before you make yourself really ill! All the best.

W x

Hi Brainstrain

I think there's a lot more to the current social services situation than meets the eye :dry:

If your health care professionals are happy with your situation then I wouldn't spend a minute longer worrying about it. There appear to be a lot of issues surrounding this girl and her baby which can't be made public.

With OCD there is no danger of you potentially harming your baby...on the contrary in fact!

Catherine :original:

Guest hayley73

I know how you are feeling Brainstrain. But I agree that there is more to the current story in the news than meets the eye.

Can I ask, does your health visitor know about your OCD? If so is she supportive?

I am toying with the idea of confiding in mine on Tuesday, but really unsure. Perhaps you want to read my post.

How old is your baby?

Hayley73

Brainstrain, Your fear about Social Services appears to be a common one and reminds me of one of my obsessions regarding the fear of being arrested and spending years in prison - even though I regard myself to be a law abiding citizen! There are some days the fear is overwhelming, however on my good days I can totally rationalise this and see how bizarre it really is. I am having more good than bad days at the moment, but I know that if I seen something on the news, for example a TV show about prisoners, this would trigger my obsession. I can totally appreciate therefore why the recent news story about the child being removed from hospital has concerned you, but please try to think of this rationally, a person with OCD is the least likely person to cause anyone harm and there is lots of research to support this, there is no way that Social Services would remove a child because the parent has OCD. Mental Health professionals know about OCD and recognise that sufferers do not carry out their obsessions, there are lots of mental health problems and with some SS need to be involved, but not because someone has OCD. I'm sure you're a wonderful mum, please do not be worried to talk to someone as you are not doing anything wrong. Good luck xx.