Understanding OCD

One of the OCD-UK volunteer team (ScottOCDid) whilst trying to explain OCD to a GP friend decided to put this PowerPoint presentation together, which for those of you new to OCD, may begin to explain the illness.

You will need PowerPoint installed on your PC, click each slide to advance to the next or there is a PDF version

http://www.ocduk.org/understanding-ocd

Top marks, Scott.

I think the analogies are brilliant. I am a largely-recovered OCD sufferer and I could relate very well to the messages conveyed by this presentation.

Is it permissable for me to forward this to my GP and others? If so, what is the easiest way of doing this?

Dove with love xx

Ashley

Thanks for your amazingly quick reply!

Should I just attach the pdf file to any e-mail I send?

Also, does OCD-UK have any printed information that I could supply to my and other nearby GP surgeries and other suitable places? I suppose I could print out this presentation for distribution or, perhaps, it could be printed in bulk for such use?

Dove with love xx

• 1 month later...
Also, does OCD-UK have any printed information that I could supply to my and other nearby GP surgeries and other suitable places?

Hi Dove,

I can send you some leaflets about OCD is that what you meant?

Regards,

Ashley

• 1 month later...
Guest dash22

thank you for the info, my son has ocd, and while ive done heaps of research into ocd, family and friends are still struggling to understand it, this will be a huge help, thanks again. xxx

• 1 month later...
Guest viridens

Hi

If you wish to view or show the original Powerpoint presentation but do not have Microsoft Office Suite installed on your PC, Powerpoint viewer, (a small 1.9MB download) is available here:

Powerpoint viewer

I hope this is helpful.

Terry

• 1 month later...
Guest Karma1968

:cool:

this presentation was very helpful to me... I'm new to dealing with OCD - or rather, new to understanding and supporting..... Your presentation was very well done. Kudos :clapping:

• 6 months later...
Guest juliannabud
What an amazing piece of work, very useful and very informative..

Well done scott, :clapping:

Legend.

I'm so please you overcame it, but how did you accept that there was something wrong?

I have a son of 17 who appears to have OCD and had it for a couple of years, it has become worse. But Unfortunately he will not let anyone help him, or accept that he has it. His self esteem is LOW..I've tried to get him to go to the doctor but he becomes aggresive and thought of it and says there is nothing wrong. It is so painful to watch him go through this illness, it really does hurt.

Juliannabud

:helpsmilie:

Guest legend

Hi juliana bud, as a suggestion, perhaps post this on the family/friends forums,as a new topic, it might get more responses,

cheers legend :cool:

Edited by legend
Guest Lilliputtian

This is the part that I most empathise with

Meanwhile, it can feel as though family and friendsare getting on with enjoying life, with little awarenessof the genuine damage being caused to the sufferer's wellbeing.

As a result, the sufferer may feel lonely, isolatedand depressed.

The combined effects of OCD may lead to both psychologicaland physicalsigns of stress.

Self-esteemmay have hit rock-bottom, which might even lead to thoughts or actions of self-harm.

I feel like nobody around me understands what a struggle EVERYTHING is for me.

Guest Charlotte

Really excellent - I think that the analogy is perfect. It really explains it, and yet is easy to understand. I'll certainly forward this to a couple of friends.

• 2 months later...
Guest handy

That powerpoint has really helped me to understand what my son is currently going to, with his life completely on hold to OCD that none of us can understand. Everything is done by ritual and he can take 3 hours just to get out of bed because of his fears. I struggle to help him, and the NHS has been absolutely appalling - simply writing him a prescription and telling him to come back in 3 months.

I'll look at that power point over and over and show it to family members, so that we learn how to cope with it and to encourage him to get better.

If only CBT was widely available quickly. But it's not ...........

• 6 months later...
Guest julowen

One of the OCD-UK volunteer team (ScottOCDid) whilst trying to explain OCD to a GP friend decided to put this PowerPoint presentation together, which for those of you new to OCD, may begin to explain the illness.

You will need PowerPoint installed on your PC, click each slide to advance to the next.

<a href="http://www.ocduk.org/pdf/understand.pps" target="_blank">View the presentation</a>

hi iam new to this my son who has just turned 10 has ocd i noticed things werent right in june 09 he was seen in caamhs and the doctor said it was that.He has lots of worries and has just started medication. I FOUND THIS PRESETATION VERY GOOD AS I AM FINDING IT HARD TO UNDERSTAND ALL THAT IS HAPPENING TO HIM THANK YOU ITS A GREAT HELP.

jul

We are glad you found it useful Jul, its so difficult for a family member to understand what is happening.

In case you havent seen it, HERE is a link to our new parents guide which Im sure will help as well.

Carol

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest kez545

Well Done scott and a MASSIVE thank you on behalf of my fiance as i think that your power point has just made everything SO much clearer for him