In a panic please help

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

I am panicking badly, i don't know what to do with myself.

I am on 20mg Citalopram, i have slowly been increasing the dose by the week but since increasing to 20mg about 4 days ago i have had some really bad side affects, i feel really sick, i have bad headaches, the room is spinning, i keep sweating, its nothing to do with anxiety as Diazapam has been keeping me fairly calm through the process of increasing the Citalopram.

I can't cope with these side affects, i am going to reduce the dose from tomorrow and get off this drug asap, i can't get in touch with my psychiatrist as he his away now and my appointment is the 22nd April and as some of you know my CPN has just left so i can't talk to her either.

I am in such a mess, i feel so ill and its scaring me :weep:

Hi, I have had the sweating, sickness etc on Citalopram. I have found that after 7 days or so it tails off. Maybe you could see your GP and ask for guidance as to what to do about the dose, rather than taking it into your own hands?

hi carolyn

shar is right your better off talking this through with your gp before trying to sort out your medication yourself

as with all meds they take time to settle in and when you increase them this is also the case .

i urge you to seek professional advice before acting

take care

nicky

x

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

Thank you for your replies, I want to do this on my own due to poor medical advice in the past that made me very ill, How bad is it to go cold turkey from 20mg? and what side affects will i get?

I don't know what side effects you will get, as it can change from one person to the next, but I would urge you to seek proper advice first, despite your previous problems.

Guest hayley73

My hubby has just started this medication. He said he feels spacey in the head today. But he is perserving cause when he was on them before they really benefited him. Please seek medical advice before doing anything Carolyn.

Could it be something else though? We have had the tummy bug in this house with symptoms of, sickness and sweating. Its still early days Carolyn please don't stop taking them unless its absolutely necessary. I know it took great courage for you to go on the meds so it would be a shame to stop them now if they will help in the long run. :original:

Guest AnxiousCarolyn
My hubby has just started this medication. He said he feels spacey in the head today. But he is perserving cause when he was on them before they really benefited him. Please seek medical advice before doing anything Carolyn.

Could it be something else though? We have had the tummy bug in this house with symptoms of, sickness and sweating. Its still early days Carolyn please don't stop taking them unless its absolutely necessary. I know it took great courage for you to go on the meds so it would be a shame to stop them now if they will help in the long run. :original:

Thanks for your reply Hayley, Its not a tummy bug as i have had the same symptons since being on 16mg but now they are much stronger and i can't tolerate them. I am going to go down to 16mg again see how i am on that, i take liquid form so its easy to drop a bit and my pyschiatrist did tell me that would be ok if i couldn't tolerate the side affects.

Guest Gemini

Carolyn

I have also suffered from panic attacks so I know how awful you are feeling. I haven't been on the meds you mention but I was on anti-depressants a few years ago and coming off was horrendous as I tried to do it too quickly. I think you should get medical advice (a pharmacist maybe?) before trying on your own. I hope you start feeling better soon.

Gemini x

Hi Carolyn,

I think it would be a good idea to speak to your GP before cutting back - I think he/she will be able to help you be better informed about your decision and also help you through it, whichever way you decide to go.

Take care :original:

whitebeam

Guest h_777

I remember I felt pretty rough on Citalopram at first, as a lot of people seem to. But I was eventually on 60mg feeling fine physically. How long have you been on 20 Carolyn? (apologies if you already said) it might just take some time? If your psych said it would be ok to go to 16mg, I guess you could but I wouldn't go any lower without the advice.

Hope you are feeling better soon x

Edited by Guest
Guest AnxiousCarolyn

Hiya, I have been on 20mg for 4 days and each day i feel worse, sickness, head and neck pain, sweating, dizzness, spinning sensation, and i feel so spaced out, i can't tolerate it.

I am back on 16mg and will see how i feel. My psychiatrist has mentioned before about trying Risperidone has this helped anyone here?

My psychiatrist has mentioned before about trying Risperidone has this helped anyone here?

I was on Risperidone for a while. I don't think it helped me at all.

I became very agitated whilst on the meds - could not sit, stand or lie still - had to pace or rock; I could never be still and I couldn't sleep.

My psych didn't think it had anything to do with the meds - but to me it was rather a large coincidence.

I hope you soon find some way of reducing your anxiety.

Take care :original:

whitebeam

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

I am feeling so bad, The side affects are just building up and up despite me now being on only 14mg. I feel so physically ill and i am feeling so fed up of my OCD i can't cope i feel there is no hope left, this is how my life will always be, i can't stop thinking about suicide, i don't know what else to do.

:weep:

Hi Carolyn

Do you think you might be able to get an appointment to see your GP or whoever prescribed you the Citalopram - asap I think.

Some side effects are tolerable, others not so. It sounds as if the Citalopram may not be suiting you, but I still think it would be better to talk to someone before taking yourself off the meds.

Take care of yourself and remember we're all here for you if you need to talk.

whitebeam :original:

PS Please don't think you will always be like this; I'm sure that your psychiatrist/GP will find a balance of meds which will help you to feel better and then hopefully you'll feel strong enough to fight the OCD.

Edited by Guest
Guest Marmite

Hi Carolyn

I am so sorry that your feeling so bad at the moment, it makes my heart ache to know that someone else is going through a bad time because I wouldn't wish OCD on my worst enemy.

I have been on citalopram and my body didn't take to it at all.... I have to say that for me it was the worst meds to be on, but please please consult your gp/psychiatrist whomever your seeing about this dosage or medication because I would hate to see you suffer more because you took yourself off it.

Please let us know how your doing

Love Marmite :hug:

Guest AnxiousCarolyn

Thank you for your replies, i am so low right now. My psychiatrist perscribed Citalopram 3 months ago and i have gradually been building up ever since. I have always had side affects even when i was on 2mg daily but now the side affects are out of control. I went down to 14mg today and i still feel rough and i was so hoping these meds were going to improve my OCD but i was wrong. My psychiatrist reckons theres only a couple more meds i can try and i have a feeling that they won't work either and i know i can't engage in CBT until i have improved a bit, i don't know if i can go on anyway, i have been fighting for so long and i just keep getting worse i can barely function anymore. :weep: