New job help!

Guest Brainstrain

Guest Brainstrain

Hi all

I've recently applied for a new job and was lucky enough to be offered it. On being successful I was asked to fill in an occupational health form which has to be processed before I can 'officially' be given the job although the manager has made it very clear that she really wants me and says it's really rare for anyone to be refused a job on the ground of the occupational helath check and she has never known it to happen. So I felt quite confident about it. Obviously I put that I suffer from pure 'O' OCD which is under control with sertraline at the moment and I described as being 'mild'. I only put it down as I thought they would ask my doctor for a report anyway so it would look bad if I hadn't been honest.

Anyway they normally just write to you to tell you it is all ok. But today the occupational health people rang to say I have to go in for an interview with a nurse before I can be given the all clear and I'm presuming this must be to do with the OCD. I did recently have a minor operation which I aso wrote but surely it can't be about that? I'm all worried now that they'll decide I can't do the job eventhough I'm currently teaching and am coping fine with that which is a much more stressful job than my new one, plus I've never had to take time off work due to my OCD.

I just wondered if anyone else had any experience of this linked to their OCD and if anyone had any advice for the interview! I really want this job and have already had to give in my notice at my current job so I'm getting in quite a panic about it all!

Thanks a lot!

Brainstrain :blushing:

Guest Balloon

Hi Brainstrain,

I too have recently landed a new job and was asked to go to Occupational Health for a chat.

They were really supportive for me - they just wanted to know if there was anything that they could do to help or that they should need to do for me to help keep me well. They also advised me about help that they could offer and how to contact them if I ever needed it.

I think it was more of a "box ticking" exercise for them - to make sure that they were supporting me adequately and I was ok to work.

If they would like you to work for them that much I think they just want to make sure you stay healthy and can continue to work for them!

I really don't think there will be a problem.

My chat with the lady was really informal, friendly and brief, and of course, confidential. They didn't want to know any "ins and outs" of my problems at all.

I would liken it to say if you broke your leg, they would want to know if there is anything they should or could do to help and anything they need to accommodate for, but, of course, they would not not give you a job because of it!

I think Ashley is quite knowledgeable about this side of things, but I don't think OCD would provide any grounds to refuse you a job, particularly as you sound like you are doing well and have things under control well - evidence too that you've not needed any time off is great.

It's excellent that you have not had to take any time off because of OCD - a real achievement - well done! I'm sure they will like that and will take it into consideration!

I am no expert I'm afraid - can only let you know that things have been all ok for me thankfully.

I think it is really encouraging that you are doing well and have things well controlled at the mo - long may it continue!

They may like to know what treatment you are getting at the mo, so that if you need time off for appointments etc. then they can accommodate it - my Occy Health department have been really good at that for me - actually takes the stress off a little bit because I hate having to take time away from work to go to them.

Congratulations on the new job - I hope you enjoy it!

Sounds like they really like you - well done!

I hope that helps,

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Take care now and let us know how you get on!

Well done on all of your achievements - keep going!

Balloon

Guest sweetie

Congratulations on your new job Brainstrain! I'm very pleased for you.

Spot on advice there from Balloon. I don't think you'll have any problems.

It's the wait that's not nice, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

Best Wishes.

xxx

Well done to you too Balloon. Congratulations.

xx