Told my manager at new work about my OCD

Guest nette

Guest nette

So....yesterday at work I had a supervision with my manager (its a regular chat about how im getting on and the progress im making, all the staff there have them) after a lot of obsessing, stressing and deliberation, I told her that I have OCD, which could be partly responsible for my lack of confidence which she and I have noticed....she said that I need a lot of clarification and re-assurance over very simple tasks...I explained that this is part of my OCD and that im constantly worried that I will make mistakes in my work. I was quite suprised as I didnt expect her to be 'so ok' with my having OCD and even asked how best it is to work with me...she also suggested that my performance be monitored for a while. I feel ok about it and feel glad that I mentioned it as I was putting myself under a bit of pressure to not let my OCD show at work....but it turns out that it was being noticed anyway :dry: I need to work extra hard to control my OCD at work!!! Do any of you guys know how best to do this??????????? :helpsmilie: I take propranalol for when my anxiety peeks and begins to get out of control and it takes theedge off of my anxiety! :helpsmilie: :helpsmilie:

Hi Nette

I'm not sure if you should make a super human effort to control it and 'hold it all in' as this might make your anxiety worse. I know I spent from age 9-35 keeping everything OK on the surface and it nearly killed me in the end! I'd just try get on with your work without worrying too much if you let the odd thing slip, so what if you let something slip every now and then, you are human :original: . I think there is a danger that you could get a bit too hung up on what others see or notice and this may actually make you more anxious.

If you can just try and relax a bit then your anxiety won't peak anyway and I wouldn't like to see you having to increase your meds just so that you don't let any aspect of your OCD show to colleagues.

Just an alternative view really although ultimately you must do what feels most comfortable for you.

Catherine :original:

hi nettie

gotta agree with catherine there its far worse trying to hid it you feel so much more conscious of everything you do

people at my work noticed when i thought they hadnt and when i ws diagnoised they all said yeah we already know

thought it for ages, well they could have told me lol..

well done for telling them i know how hard it must have been .

x

nicky

Guest Marmite

I think your Fantastic Nette for telling your manager in the first place,

I have found that it's a lot worse when I try and hide it.

So good for you for having the courage, just try not to be too hard on yourself.

Marmite xx

Guest alison

well done nette,

i am so pleased you got a positive response from your manager!

catherine is right, hiding your ocd is not the way to go.

your employer wants you to be safe and happy in your work environment, and is prepared to accomodate you.

noone should have to suffer in silence.

take the help thats being offered to you.

wishing you good luck!

Guest nette

Thanx so much for your encouraging posts guys!! I do fel better that i told my manager, as it gave her a possible explanation for my lack of confidence....my manager is on leave for just over 2 weeks now....i feel more relaxed at work when she is not around! In our supervision, she asked me what goes on in my head when she asks me something and i just told her that I panic! Any ideas on getting over that one .....even though i know that she is trying to be as acommodating as possible! Suggestions on this one would be awesome guys!!!!

Guest alison

well, is she a good boss??

because she shouldnt be asking you to do anything that you cant handle or is within your job description. so you shouldnt panic because you know you can handle the task.

if its your opinion shes asking for its perfectly acceptable to say, "ill think about it and get back to you" if youre feeling on the spot.

controlling your breathing may help too??