Any films involving or about ocd?

Guest Karley505

Guest Karley505

Does any1 know of any films that involve ocd or a character who has it?

I really want to watch one.

I know about the aviator with leonardo dicaprio, has anyone seen it yet?

Best Wishes to you all

Karleyxx

Guest Marmite

As good as it gets Jack Nicholson

Matchstick Men Nicholas Cage

What about Bob Bill Murray

Jeez I've seen a few but I can't think of anymore off hand.

I'll get back to you Karley when I remember, Or other can help you out

Marmite

Edited by Marmite
I know about the aviator with leonardo dicaprio, has anyone seen it yet?

Hi Karley,

It must be about four years ago now, OCD-UK had a pre-premiere screening of The Aviator. We had champagne and canapes before and then all went into the viewing where Leonardo himself popped in to say Hi. Also some other bloke - I think it was the producer.

I think I would have followed the plot more if I hadn't had so much champagne :blushing:

whitebeam

Guest Karley505

Thanks a lot marmite, I will watch those those ones :)

Wow whitebeam thats amazing (mmm champagne) that must have been brilliant especially to meet them too! I will get the film and watch it.

Thanks for the replys

love karley xx

must have been brilliant especially to meet them too!

We didn't actually meet them, they stood down on the stage bit as we were in the audience.

I did meet Prof Salkovskis though and I thanked him for all the work he does on OCD and for OCD sufferers :blushing: (that probably was the champagne too!)

Edited by whitebeam
Hi Karley,

It must be about four years ago now, OCD-UK had a pre-premiere screening of The Aviator. We had champagne and canapes before and then all went into the viewing where Leonardo himself popped in to say Hi. Also some other bloke - I think it was the producer.

I think I would have followed the plot more if I hadn't had so much champagne :blushing:

whitebeam

Wow! I didn't know about that!!!

There's the excellent Dirty Filthy Love, Karley - you can read about it here: http://www.ocduk.org/9/dfl.htm

How about "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" ?!

It's a "bawdy comedy" starring Rob Schneider. His love interest in the film has OCD.

(She won't touch doorknobs and has various tics and rituals.)

It's not making fun, really. It's all handled kind-heartedly and it's quite sweet. :original:

How about "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" ?!

It's a "bawdy comedy" starring Rob Schneider. His love interest in the film has OCD.

(She won't touch doorknobs and has various tics and rituals.)

It's not making fun, really. It's all handled kind-heartedly and it's quite sweet. :original:

Sounds good, newman , but how can we find it???

Well, it's available on DVD.... From the usual outlets, I suppose! :original:

Remember - it is quite naughty, and also it's not all about a person with OCD, but it is part of the story.

Guest Karley505

Haha Newman I have seen that film, it is excellent!

I forgot all about that having the girl with ocd in it, i didnt know I had ocd at the time when I watched it, I didnt quite understand it...but i do now of course!

I will watch it again though, it's got some hillarious bits in it!

Kw1 I will definately watch that, I hadnt heard about it.

I will definately get it.

Thanks for the replys guys, i will have an ocd film day with lots of popcorn and sweets YUM!

:eat:

Guest Karley505
the aviator is on next sunday 20th, BBC i think.

i will watch as i have not seen it before.

Great, I will watch that too! Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest acliffe

I've seen a strange film (i found it strange but some people might understand it better) its called Zemanovaload, its mainly bout a writer with OCD who becomes obsessed with a model and trys to get her in a film he's writing the script for. Its abit strange with a nice little twist at the end but still worth a watch :a1_cheesygrin:

• 1 month later...
Guest obrien

I would caution that Dirty/Filty/Love, although REALLY good in some aspects, is hard to watch as a spouse/friend of a sufferer. It is about a wife that leaves her husband, b/c she can't take his ocd...but it really doesn't show how AT ALL hard the life was for her.

The other girl in the film has ocd too, and she is more understanding. But the thing that sort of made me uncomfortable was the idea that somehow she could 'heal' him with her friendship, b/c she had ocd too. Just b/c she had ocd, somehow he allowed her to bathe him and throw out all his hoarding. Um...not realistic, and very annoying to portray it that simplistically.

But overall I think the benefits of this movie outweight the negatives. Some scenes were VERY powerful, and I did cry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest matthewr88

The wife and I watched Dirty Filthy Love last night.. she is a sufferer.. and at one point we almost switched off.. why I hear you say? Well, when Mark (the OCD sufferer) first goes into the group, every single sufferer is portraid as halfway having lost their marbles. I've met quite a few people who have OCD, and so far I've not met any whose symptoms make them act like a manic depressive/schizophrenic.. it also makes them seem quirky.. for instance the guy switching the light on and off.. didn't seem distressed in anyway about what he was doing, he just seemed like a mischievous child.. I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think they must have all had other disorders, like Mark had Tourettes, but they don't point that out. This means anyone watching who has no prior knowledge of OCD will think ALL people with OCD are like that. We instantly felt, great they don't have a clue what people with OCD are like and they've just told the world their ill informed idea of what OCD is. We persevered however, and in my opinion his Tourettes seemed the larger part of his problems, and his OCD was an under running problem. Another problem was when Charlie had her wig pulled... did they explain that she Trichotillo? Nope.. again, people who don't know what this is probably would have thought.. what the hell? I knew she had if after her second scene..

Overall, it seems like a good idea, and is a good film.. but they seem to assume a lot about the audience's knowledge, when I thought the whole idea was to enlighten people.

Anyway, enough bashing of Dirty Filthy Love :)..

Melissa, my wife, always feels bad watching anything on TV/Film about OCD.. as they never seem to touch on pure O, which she has. I'm guessing because its difficult to put across to people visually as it is all in the mind and has no visible compulsions. This also means that average Jo alway thinks "OCD, ah hand washing etc" They never explain the mechanics of OCD.. the above film tried and did ok, but only touched on it really in one scene. Does anyone know of a documentary or film that has pure O in it?

Laters

Mat

• 1 month later...
Guest Aimsley_87

The Aviator is one of my favourite films ever. I think Leonardo DiCaprio played the part so well. I think he is a very underated actor.

I could really relate to the character too.

Anyway, just my thoughts :original:

Aims. xx

• 1 month later...
Guest Olympia
The Aviator is one of my favourite films ever. I think Leonardo DiCaprio played the part so well. I think he is a very underated actor.

I could really relate to the character too.

Anyway, just my thoughts :original:

Aims. xx

I found the Aviator really moving, especially when he can't face everything and becomes filthy. I think a lot of people would be confused by that but it made sense to me that he was just so desperate even his washing wouldn't save him. The toilet scene with the doorhandle mmade me laugh so hard, but I did cry at times too.

The best thing about Dirty Filthy Love is the art deco building (my husband took me there to see it after we'd watched it) and that the woman with ocd & trich is Moaning Myrtle from Harry Potter!!

I love As Good as it Gets. I like the little dog jumping over the cracks in the pavement :D

Guest PolytheneBoy

I've been told about a film called Monk. It invovles a policeman who suffers from OCD. Though you may want to look that up on WikiPedia or something, my memory is rather bad sometimes :)

Guest Duckfoot

Im not sure if there is a film about Monk (if so will someone let me know because i enjoy watching it!) There is a television series and it's been on for some years so if you have the time to watch them and money to buy them you can buy the DVD boxsets from HMV. I can't remember exactly how much they are but i know to get every episode it will be quite costly. You can however watch them on the Hallmark channel if you have Sky, they often have re-runs of older episodes as well as the newer ones. Sometimes they even run a Monk Marathon where they show they episodes back to back for like 10 hours lol

I know you can also get monk books, but i haven't read them and so assume they are just a written version of the t.v series but i can't be certain!

I would definitely recommend Monk, it's well written interesting and at times plain hilarious!

Nim