struggling

Guest rosethistle

Guest rosethistle

I'm having a lot of OCD thoughts whenever I get on with revision. I'm finding it pretty hard to get on with it because i'm so worried that I'm (*can't write exact thought) wishing to fail but in a more realistic way. I've only done 3 hours today (i normally do 5-9) because it was my brother's birthday treat- I want to do well but OCD is definitely not helping!

Edited by Guest
Guest kelly

Three hours revision is more than enough!! If only my students were as hard working as you. You have recognised the OCD thought as just that - a thought that gets in the way. Carry on doing what you have been doing - work through it. You really are doing too much though if it's normally 5 - 9 hours. Have a break regularly every 30 mins - relaxation is as important as the work because your brain can be over-worked like your body. Be kinder to it and yourself.

Hi, I helped my girlfriend get through some of her exams in her final year of her degree. I often help students now, as part of my post graduate duties. I think you need to have plenty of short bursts, with equal length breaks. this can drag things out (obviously) twice as long. but you have to get the information in your head. Bullet points are good.

What are you studying?

If you have a good friend/relative you could get to do some simple tasks like dictation etc.

Being able to 'speak' out your knowledge gets it in. Get someone to check what your saying perhapse. This seemed to help my g/f, as well as BE SMART and don't learn what you don't need. For example in my g/f's exam only 3/5 questions were needed to get a first in that module, hence reduced amount -> info better learned.

I hope this helps

Dave

p.s. any maths questions - hit me!

Guest panix2007

Hi Rosethistle,

Just wanted to say that you sound like a very conscientious student . . . over here in the states when I was a teaching assistant we were lucky if our students did any studying at all!

I was always working too hard in school. I wonder if it's related to my OCD, as I do have perfectionistic tendencies . . .

Guest louise88

I am having exactly this issue at the moment, as I am doing some professional exams.

I have found that it is helpful to think, when I am revising, that I will reserve some time later to ruminate and weigh up my thoughts, so that they don't encroach on the revision, yet I still have the security of knowing that I can think things through later. I know the ideal thing is not to ruminate at all, but there you go! :-)

I echo the sentiments of the others too-it sounds as though you are already putting a lot of work in, so try not to get too stressed out about it! :-)