does anyone

Guest srichie1

Guest srichie1

my form of ocd is nothing physical,its all in my head repeating and anylising stuff all the time does anyone else have this?

Guest mitchhewerfever4

yeps =)

my OCD is both obsessions and compulsions but i understand this

i repeat things in my head and also outloud sometimes if i think that something i have said may make me misunderstood or may mkae something bad happen to someone

it can be very annoying

so yea i understand

and the over-analysis applies too =)

so your not alone sweetie

~sarah-lou~

xx

Guest srichie1
yeps =)

my OCD is both obsessions and compulsions but i understand this

i repeat things in my head and also outloud sometimes if i think that something i have said may make me misunderstood or may mkae something bad happen to someone

it can be very annoying

so yea i understand

and the over-analysis applies too =)

so your not alone sweetie

~sarah-lou~

xx

cheers x

Hi srichie.

One of my most major OCD symptoms is constantly repeating things in my head or doing mental rituals. It can take up to or even more than 100 times before I get the ritual just right. It is very tiring and exhausting. I also do repeat phrases in my head without rituals but it mainly involves a ritual.

I have to repeat a phrase or an image over and over and over and over again until I get it "just right".

Ben

Guest sweetie

I don't want to do it, but conversations I've had keep going over and over in my head. I hate it. It's exhausting.

I over analyse everthing too and sometimes I will come to a new and upsetting conclusion to my ruminations and then carry on ruminating about that. Sleep is a welcome release sometimes.

My latest conclusion is that my psychiatrist doesn't believe me about my depression and mood swings and that is making me feel very bad about myself, and also doubting myself. Hate it, hate it.

Guest Marmite

Hey I'm right there with you Srichie

I am the queen of repeating and anylising

You are so not alone her, please don't think you are

and well done for posting, that's a hard step just in itself,

so well done

Marmite xx

Hi srichie,

As you have already seen from the replies you have had....you are certainly not alone in this aspect of OCD.

Although you are not experiencing any outward compulsions...it sounds like you are experiencing mental compulsions - the analysing and repeating are your form of compulsions.

Are you receiving any help for your OCD?

Kylie

x x x

Guest acliffe

hi ya srichie,

your not alone at all as you can tyell from the many replies, i have exactly the same, its called Pure 'O' its very true it can be very upsetting and head doing (no pun intended :clapping: ) but its just something that i've had to try to get used too. i find i repeat a lot of things in my head, also i have magical thinking, if i think something my OCD makes me feel it can happen.

your not alone lovey so dont worry their is more of us then ya think.

Guest lukerelli

Yeah i get this

real annoying wen u say horrible stuff in ur head 2 like weird, disgusting sexual ideas-like daggers going thro my mind-then the ruminating begins to try and rationalize such a bizzare/horrible thought

i agree with u sweetie, sleep is a nice release :-(

Guest Bobby Digital

I used to do this a lot before CBT. I found that I would have to repeat certain phrases in my head a certain number of times, multiples of three in fact. I then had to do in multiples of threes of threes and it spiralled on from there. It can be quite hard to stop because it seems like second nature but now I never do it.

I can definately relate to this...I am new to the forum and have found reading the posts really insightful, but this over analysing and repeating is what affects me the most. I go off into my own world where I repeat a phrase or re live an action until I'm happy with how it feels (I'm not really into multiples or counting thankfully). If I'm alone this can be for ages though. The things I worry/obsess about seem to change on a daily basis depending on what is going on at the time and I hate things I can't explain or recount in every last detail. My boyfriend is very patient bless him but it does cause strain with me constantly seeking re assurance that everything will be ok. I'm glad people mention sleep as I find that this is such a release as opposed to not being able to sleep. In fact, I sleep at evey opportunity!

Guest kate

That's a major thing I do too, and it is good to know you're not alone, judging by the replies you've had. I go over each day trying to remember all that I've done at certain times, because I don't want to forget anything - it's like I might lose the memory or something. I go over things in a certain way in my head, and if I don't I get too anxious. It hurts my head sometimes.

Take care

kate

Guest Dominic1988

Yep, when I was at school there was a kid who was really popular and liked so I'd repeat over and over "I am David Yan", literally, till it didn't seem to make sense anymore.

Now I keep repeating to myself that I'm a good person, that I'm not a killer, etc. which you would guess is positive, but it makes me nervous. Like I have to reassure myself or I'll lose it. It sucks. I hope you get through it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cobra030886

as you can see from all the replies you are far from alone with this even though sometimes it feels like it. i repeat things all the time especially number plates i - ill just pick a car and read the number plate over and over again and try and remember it when the car has gone. its really tiring. i sometimes start doing times tables in my head which can go on for an hour or so. i like to read signs as well over and over again. i have to do it until it 'feels just right.'

try and stay strong x

Guest gregros

I am there with you all. we are not mad we are sensitive minds.

i have to be one of the worst repetitive thinkers around everything that i talk about has to be

repeated in my mind and sometimes it gets so exhausting and frustrating that i think out loud, sometimes i break out crying because of it. if i read a magazine i dont just open and read i keep going back to the same sentence and repeating till i feel satisfied, if i pick up something i nearly put a stuarts enquiry in to "were was that last" that wasnt on the floor was it" i am not going near that if you holded it. thats how much my head is f__ed up from it. this goes on and on and on from morning to night till the next mornig. the sec i open my eyes. i also have a ritual counting disorder of 3s and 7s everything has to be a 3 or seven, its consuming me :wallbash:

Guest SkillIncome

Yep can also relate...

I have to read some words backwards, and if I like the sound of it, I will be repeating it over and over again in my head throughout the day and possibly week.

It is really frustrating that it is hard to stop at times and it is exhausting, but this isn't as bad as my 'main' fears, and can cope.

Take care

Skill

x

Guest Muse_Man

Hi there :original:

This is one of my main compulsions too..very time and energy consuming. Im lucky that these days I have managed to get the repetitve thoughts under control! Its amazing how complicated the rituals can become. I have found two successful tacts that helped me. When I was younger all my checking was physical, like checking taps, locks, switches etc. Then when I began to get stressed about it and worry people would see me, I started to hide my checking. And moved onto checking my thoughts. Its so hard to get on top of these complusions, they get triggered without even realising it. I found counting the hardest ritual to conquer. But at the end of the day, all repetitive thoughts are 'OCD' and nothingelse.

There is a good rule of thumb, that if you think a thought or behaviour is OCD then it probably is OCD. I found instead of focusing on getting the ritual right to stop the anxiety, I would focus on relabelling this urge or thought as just 'OCD'. Doesnt matter how how complicated the thoughts or worries are, its simple now because it is OCD and nothingelse! This is really hard and slow to get this working well, takes a lot of practice and faith.

I aim to allow myself to check something only once, including repeating thoughts. It took me six months to stop my counting rituals, so I think it helps to aim expectations of a recovery longterm. I worked on this by gradually delaying the urge to repeat a thought, first by half a second, and slowly building this up time delay everytime I got success. Giving into the urge to do the ritual is not a failure, some days are really tough. The brain is such a complex organ, retraining it takes a lot of time.

I think the key is not to see repeating rituals as a complicated mess of thoughts, but to see it simply as 'just' OCD, and focus on taking control of the fear which is a weak bully and needs to be shown who is boss!

Hope that helps

Stuart :original:

Guest blondeMatrix
I am there with you all. we are not mad we are sensitive minds.

i have to be one of the worst repetitive thinkers around everything that i talk about has to be

repeated in my mind and sometimes it gets so exhausting and frustrating that i think out loud, sometimes i break out crying because of it. if i read a magazine i dont just open and read i keep going back to the same sentence and repeating till i feel satisfied, if i pick up something i nearly put a stuarts enquiry in to "were was that last" that wasnt on the floor was it" i am not going near that if you holded it. thats how much my head is f__ed up from it. this goes on and on and on from morning to night till the next mornig. the sec i open my eyes. i also have a ritual counting disorder of 3s and 7s everything has to be a 3 or seven, its consuming me :wallbash:

Hi gregros,

I can relate to your OCD. I was a bookworm when I was younger. Now I rarely get beyond the first chapter, as the constant re-reading of sentences until I feel that I have achieved full understanding has turned reading into a painful chore. Now, it seems I have to avoid reading altogether. It's enough to make me cry. OCD has cost dearly. Writing is likewise, in the form of repeated proof reading (not many spelling errors in my messages here :-).

Kind regards,

Chris.

Guest FlyGirl

Wow I actually didn't consider the fact that this is OCD related. I assumed that repeating words and phrases over and over in my head was similar to how people get songs stuck in their head.

But yes, I get the same things. I get a sentence, a word, anything in my head and I need to repeat it, or I think about it...frequently. Sometimes I need to say it aloud, or if I'm in the company of others, I try to make myself just say it under my breath, or do something else inconspicuously...

I also suffer from the over-analysis. My friend made a comment regarding me today, but something in the tone of her voice and the expression in her face was different. Some people could just dismiss it, but it keeps making appearances in my head which makes me think, dwell and analyse it!!

It really is mentally exhausting at times >:(

Guest Aarandorf

A lot of my time is spent thinking about the exact tone of a sentence... I can pick out very subtle things that people are thinking! :albert:

I didn't ink this to OCD either! I've done it since I was young, when I started reading I would read a sentence 2-3 times before preceding. Worst still is I also used to re-read the paragraph in the same style! When I pick up a book I had just been reading or continuing from a whle ago, I will almost read the chapter before... I used to just say its for getting into the story... it wasn't :p

All the best,

Aarandorf

• 1 month later...
Guest thedarkrose

i didn't realise that all these things were OCD related. I used to love reading and would read a book a day when i was younger. Nowadays i can hardly read a page a day and the book usually ends up just sitting there. If i do read it has to be dead quiet otherwise i get irritated. And even analysing things, i still think about things i did 5 years ago.

I also read and try to memorise silly things like number plates and signs over and over again. I always get songs stuck in my head and often repeat a certain line. I guess in some ways it helps coz i remember a lot of important things.

Edited by Guest

i have a problem reading , if a thought pops into my head , I have to re read what i have just read, if its really bad i have to stop reading untill midnight, so its then the next day and a fresh start, thats odd isnt it! I suppose that is also part of my OCD. Does any one else have this problem? by the way it takes me ages to read books!

Summer