Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

Guest lol

I,ve been diagnosed with ocd 7 weeks ago, bad guilty thoughts and cheeking taps gas doors all the symptoms. However I have sufered from chronic fatigue for 3 years and my Doctor has said My chronic fatigue might have made me more likely to develop OCD. Has anyone out there had chronic fatigue as weel as OCD????

lol

Hi LoL,

Did your doctor justify his comments? To the best of my knowledge there is no known evidence to suggest that people with chronic fatigue or any illness for that are more likley to develop OCD.

The cause of OCD is unknown with various theorys suggested by the 'OCD' experts.

I won't go quite as far to suggest your doctor is wrong, but it would be interesting to see where he got his facts from and if there is any evidence to suggest chronic fatigue would make your likely to develop OCD.

Hi lol, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple of years ago. I have had ocd for 30+ years . Fibromyalgia is related to chronic fatigue with pain tiredness etc. I have read that ssri drugs are suggested for fibromyalgia since it is a condition which is affected by seratonin levels. When I was on seroxat my pain and stiffness etc, went away. Just thought this might relate to your doctors connecting chronic fatigue and ocd . Meg

I know one of the guys on here suffers from both. Also, my sister suffers from M.E.

I have find that I'm having real stiffness lately too, exhaustion, painful joints, etc. and I don't know if it's anything serious or symptoms of my depression.

I have medical problems not sure what they are yet as l am waiting for tests but l am in pain and l am tired alot, though i have had OCD 20 years it has been more severe since l have been ill plus my ex who also has OCD has ill health and he got OCD and reckons it was because of the ill health!

Guest Hypnosinc

Hi lol,

Whilst I would agree that there is probably no direct link between ME and OCD, such conditions as ME do place considerable stress on the body's systems, and we know how stress relates to OCD. On the other hand, OCD is a very tiring condition, physically and mentally, and I can well see that such symptoms might mimic ME, in some respects.

A friend of mine with ME was very prone to depression and anxiety. If you were already pre-disposed to OCD, it is not inconceivable that developing ME was a suitable trigger for a full-blown OCD episode, but I would have expected any reaction to occur far earlier than after 3 years, if a direct link existed.

Guest Iceblazingfire

Hi lol,

I too have M.E and OCD! I started with M.E at 14 and looking back had OCD from around 7. I'm now 31 and continue to have both. I agree with the last post about M.E putting a lot of stress on the bodys systems etc. For instance the last 7 weeks or so have been terrible M.E wise and my OCD has escalated too:( I'm so exhausted and feeling ill and yet I have to do things 100 times!! It defo doesn't help the situation.

If I can be of any support for you please let me know :blushing:

Take Care and hope things improve for you soon:)

Love Nic x

• 1 month later...
Guest knock3times

Hi Ashie :(

I believe there is a connection, although not one that applies to everybody, I believe it's a set of circumstances which can lead to someone developing both.

I've had M.E for nearly 18 years now and ocd has definately been a major feature. I believe it's down to the levels of tension physically and psychologically that are ever present. Boredom is a big factor with M.E too and also when you are virtually housebound your world's parameters close in and smaller things take on a greater significance.

Also, as with people say who have had the flu, you are left emotionally vulnerable, again a combination of physiological and psychological factors and that leaves anyone vulnerable to mini-large size neurosis type conditions.

I had an interesting experience this summer (2004). I was helping my partner self-represent through legal proceedings and it caused an enormous amount of psychological stress and also physical because I was having to keep standing, twisting etc to scan etc and sit at the computer for hours researching...but...the ocd actually lessened whereas it usually worsens during periods of stress...the very thing that was causing the high tension was also proving a mental distraction.

I would be interested to see, I presume one has been done, results of a study done on ocd people who have been kept occupied by non-stressful activities as oppose to those who have been kept occupied by stressful activities, not just the psychological results but also what it has done to say seratonin levels etc...where would I find information like that?

Another possible link with M.E is that it is very prevalent in young women, my own case personally is that whenever there has been a 'big' hormonal event, puberty, pregnancy, post pregnancy and now an early menopausal onset, the ocd has worsened. Are the heightened levels of certain hormones physiologically causing a 'physical' stress i.e as in pmt/pms and therefore an upsurge of ocd problems?

Another thing with M.E is many sufferers were previously active at levels way above average and have somehow 'burnt out' which will affect levels of chemicals within the brain too

...just a thought :)

Hi LoL,

Did your doctor justify his comments?  To the best of my knowledge there is no known evidence to suggest that people with chronic fatigue or any illness for that are more likley to develop OCD.

The cause of OCD is unknown with various theorys suggested by the 'OCD' experts.

I won't go quite as far to suggest your doctor is wrong, but it would be interesting to see where he got his facts from and if there is any evidence to suggest chronic fatigue would make your likely to develop OCD.

20565[/snapback]