The long and winding road

Guest PATIENCE

Guest PATIENCE

Hi to all,

its been a while since i posted but i read forums every week still. I thought it was time for an update after reading a couple of threads that sounded so familiar to me. My son is the sufferer who is now 17. He has been on medication for 6 years and had his meds reduced over several months but has been drug free for 4 months now. His determination to beat this illness has just amazed me over and over. He sat his GCSE`s last year which a couple of years ago we didnt think he would be able to manage, he did a year at 6th form and now has a Diploma in Business Studies. He is off to College Sept to do a Sports Course which is all he has ever wanted to do. His biggest achievement so far is he has just come back from Italy after a holiday for 2 weeks with 3 friends, he had previously only been away from home for 1 night. He stuggled for a few days and i did need to have a few chats on the phone just to remind him to use the stratagies he was taught to deal with during his CBT. He was like the cat who had the cream when he came home.So to all parents that have had their world shattered thinking things will always be this bad, dont give up hope please. If it hadnt been for this site when my son was diagnosed i dont know what i would have done, they have been simply the best support you could wish for. Just learn as much as possible about the illness to help your child. I now have a young man of a son who by the way is in his first serious relationship with a lovely girl, another big step, who sets himself goals and sticks at them till he wins, his next one is to get a part time job.

So there you go, hasnt been all plain sailing by any means, there have been ups and downs, setbacks and disapoinments, but i must be the proudest mother on earth to see him come so far.

Thanks to Ashley and Pam who have supported me at different times x

Hope this helps some of you who cant see light at the end of the tunnel, i was once there.

Guest tangoblu

Hiya!! I got goosebumps whilst reading your post - I am SO happy to hear your son is doing so well :clapping:

Great news about his college course too! And his trip away showsw just how far he has come! Having a relationship is a big hurdle :a1_cheesygrin:

It is so rewarding to see them pull through and lead a somewhat 'normal' and happy existence compared to when things seem unsurmountable. I agree determination on their part plays a huge part in their ability to fight back.

It certainly gives others hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Our son (now 18) is also doing really well) he has had a few months of no outward OCD signs and seems to have found ways to handle his day to day existence and lead a happy and fulfilled life which is more than you could ever wish for - long may it last!

We all support one another on here and this is what makes this place such a valuable resource.

Take care

Big hugs

Pam

Guest alison

wow patience, great post.

so easy for a life to be ruined by ocd, and it sounds like your son is one heck of a young man, you must be so proud of him to have turned himself around.

its great to hear a story like this, xx

hi patience

im thrilled for you and your son it just goes to show with the right support and determination you can beat ocd at its game.

what a great mum you are and what a fighter your son is you are both amazing.

xxxxx

nicky

Hi Patience,

Thank you so much for updating your son's journey with us. It gives hope to others that this dreaded illness can be controlled and overcome.

You must be such a proud mum. What an inspirational son you have

Take care

Kylie

x x x

Guest obrien

It is great to hear that there have been 'ups' for you both. Also, it really is nice to hear good news about sufferer's lives; it cheers us all. Thank you so much for sharing your good news. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest niceandneat25

HI Patience

you rpost has made me feel good about things, my bf is going through a bad patch with his OCD but this time he didnt want me round him so he could recover himself, but i felt like i was being pushed away from him and us.

Just reading that your son has managed to do all these things and with out medication too really makes me feel like i have hope for me and my bf, as it hurts that when i want to take him away for a nice trip or even just going to a friends house it worrys me that i might trigger things off and he feels like he cant cope, now i know that he can do it and it will take time, which i have plenty of.

thank you so much for giving us the ones who love the sufferers hope that it will get better

Guest PATIENCE

Hi niceandneat25,

it was for people like you that i posted the story, there are no easy answers and no quick fix to this illness, each and everyone suffers and learns to live with it at different levels, all we can do is be there when they need us.

If it helps my son has a girlfriend and tells her he needs space on days he doesnt feel at his strongest and not that he doesnt want to be wth her just he likes to sort himself out.

It is swings and roundabouts but with determination and support there is always hope for them to learn to cope and feel happier within themselves.

You sound like a very caring person and i hope he knows how lucky he is to have you, good luck and keep me posted.