Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Help for Trich sufferers

Guest chillin

hi i agree with u about lucinda thats the site i went onto to find out what was wrong with me there was some really good info on there the only thing is its based in london which is a few hours away from me.

im starting to get really worried now as my hair is so thin im sick of feeling the way i do and noone understands me :)

I believe that this lady is something of a campaigner of Trich and she provides help at her salon.

http://www.lucindaellery.com/

21833[/snapback]

Guest ashgrove02

believe me ppl understand am the same as u a just cant face the outside world anymore b/cos a ken am a state..... rite now ad rather die than wake up n feel like **** every day life for me has no point anymore

:)

believe me ppl understand am the same as u a just cant face the outside world anymore b/cos a ken am a state..... rite now ad rather die than wake up n feel like **** every day life for me has no point anymore

:)

28403[/snapback]

Hi there,i am so sorry your feeling like this just now :) .Have a look at the lucinda ellery site,theres lot of info there :) ,you might find something useful there that could help you.Ask your gp for a refferal for CBT,this may help you to overcome the trich.Stay strong and keep posting,your not alone.We will support you all we can. :lol: Take care.

Love ittykxxx :)

Guest ashgrove02

Hi there,i am so sorry your feeling like this just now :) .Have a look at the lucinda ellery site,theres lot of info there :( ,you might find something useful there that could help you.Ask your gp for a refferal for CBT,this may help you to overcome the trich.Stay strong and keep posting,your not alone.We will support you all we can. :( Take care.

Love ittykxxx :D

28427[/snapback]

cheers for the vote o support wats cbt????

Hi there :) ,CBT stands for Cognitive behavioural therapy which has found to be successful in helping sufferers to overcome conditions like ocd,trich,bdd etc.

Heres a little more about what it is:

-Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is based on the underlying principle that depression and anxiety disorders emanate from negative thinking patterns and behavioural responses which are learned through life experiences. The principal endeavour of this form of psychotherapy is to alter these dysfunctional thoughts and conditioned maladaptive behaviours by equipping the individual with psychological strategies necessary to ‘take charge’ and adopt more constructive ways of thinking and/or acting.

Thus, CBT can be broken down in to Cognitive therapy which seeks to realign distorted patterns of thinking and cognitive beliefs and Behaviour therapy which seeks to develop more constructive behavioural responses to these negative cognitions - in other words, changing the way in which the individual reacts to these anxiety-provoking thoughts.

There is a type of Cbt used specifically with trich sufferers called Habit Reversal training.Here is more about what Habit reversal training entails:

-The primary treatment for Trichotillomania is a type of CBT called Habit Reversal Training (HRT). Habit Reversal Training was developed in the 1970’s by psychologists Nathan Azrin and Gregory Nunn for treating nervous habits such as pulling, tics, stammering and skin-picking which are done automatically.

HRT is based on the principle that hair pulling is a conditioned response to specific situations and events, and that the individual with Trichotillomania is frequently unaware of these triggers. Therapy should focus initially on developing Habit Awareness and patients may be asked to keep records of when, where and under what circumstances they normally pull.

HRT challenges the problems of sufferers as a two-fold process. Firstly, the individual with Trichotillomania learns how to become more consciously aware of situations and events that trigger hair-pulling episodes. Secondly, the individual learns to utilise alternative behaviours in response to these situations and events. The therapist will encourage hair pullers to develop an increased awareness of the times of day, emotional states, and other factors that promote hair pulling.

However, there are a number of other therapeutic techniques that can be used in addition to Habit Reversal Training. Among these are Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) and Stimulus Control Techniques.

To receive any of these therapies you need to get your doctor to get you a refferal to a specilaist who practices CBT.

Here is a link which will take you to other trichotillomania resources and support:

http://www.ocduk.org/related/ttmresources.htm

Here is another link for more info on trichotillomania and information about treatments: http://www.ocduk.org/related/ttm.htm

And also here is another link for general information about Cognitive behavioural therapy:

http://www.ocduk.org/treatments/cbt.htm

In the trich resources page,there are links to some useful websites for trich sufferers and a list of some great books particularly about trichotillomania and how to overcome it!!!!Worth a look!!! :(

Take care :) .Hope you find the above information and resources helpful :( ,there is some great information and information on support for trich sufferers as well :D .Stay strong!!! :)

love ittykxxx :)