Help, On the verge of total breakdown

Guest wolfie_pawz

Guest wolfie_pawz

Okay I was reading somthing on OCD somewhere and thats the trigger of my big panic attack. Well anyways.... it says "According to Baer, a patient should be concerned that intrusive thoughts are dangerous if the person doesn't feel upset by the thoughts, rather finds them pleasurable;"

Now I have these thoughts somtimes when something bad or inaporpriate like a body on csi or somthing and I get turned on, not at the sight of it I think its gross, I dont know why I do, maybe cause I am not susspose to and my mind makes me do it but I really dont wanna be like that and I am freaking out and am I gonna be a mad killer or somthing. *Cries* I dont wanna be.

Well you arent going to be a killer are you, because you have reacted to the thought with fear

guilt anxiety and feel like running away from your thoughts, in fact you de-test them

So baer wrote if you get pleasure then you should be worried,

unfortunatly we can get aroused at anytime, and because you became aroused it as frightened

you, its not like you are now going to go out and become a mass murderer,

one must remind themselves.....you have ocd and a thought has become stuck and you are

ruminating over it......so try to give it no importance, its ocd

Of course the baer statement is pointing towards people who have evil thoughts and have great

pleasure from them.....i dont think you fit into that catergory !!!!

i think this point has been discussed before on these forums, maybe do a search in the search

facility

are you receiving any help with your ocd ?

legend

Edited by Guest
Guest wolfie_pawz

I will go search for those posts.

And as for help with my ocd, well it went untreated for a long time but now I am on medicationummmm.... Olanzapine. But talking to other people no.... My phyciatryst is well cut low and I never get a chance to really say anything other then the how are you feeling good? bad? and up and lows in doses. I know not a good dotor but of all the ones I have been to so far this one is the best. I might get to see a phycologyst soon, I have been put on a waiting list for a free one... dont know how thats going to go but yeah I dont really have anyone to talk to.

hi again wolfie...and welcome to the forums too

hopefully the pyscholgist should offer you some cbt, this is the best way to overcome the the ocd

and normally meds are given at the same time

Have a look at the 4 step link at the top of the page, it is a very useful tool in helping you deal with

the intrusive thoughts.

Also learn as much as you can about ocd, the way to overcome ocd is to have has much knowledge

as you can on board

and remember....its just a thought, and thoughts cannot harm

keep posting you will get loads of advice and support

legend

Guest hope4love

Hi

I just thought i would add a bit. Am new on here. Anxiety around a certain incident or cirmcumstance can cause confusion to our brains and therefore be translated as arousal. Your brain will react to a situation because of fear! Both brain/mind and physiology are connected. Take no notice of the pleasure it gives you. It means nothing or should not be given any relevance.

Guest fraudornot

I get this as well. Its like I see something on TV like a child, something violent or just now the twin towers coming down on Sept 11 and my consciousness suddenly and briefly goes to my groin. I HATE it but it has been happening so long that most of the time I just have to ignore it. It makes me feel so evil, so dirty, but there's nothing I can do about it. This is one of many reasons I'm not sure its an anxiety disorder and I havent become a psychopath over the last few years.

But you're certainly not alone with this! I also have been obsessing over Dr Baer's statement, especially as up until recently I was having a lot of anger, and he said this was another reason to be worried!

I need my thoughts to slow down big time before I can even attempt relabelling, otherwise I would be relabelling continuously and couldnt get anything done...

P

Guest hope4love
Okay I was reading somthing on OCD somewhere and thats the trigger of my big panic attack. Well anyways.... it says "According to Baer, a patient should be concerned that intrusive thoughts are dangerous if the person doesn't feel upset by the thoughts, rather finds them pleasurable;"

Now I have these thoughts somtimes when something bad or inaporpriate like a body on csi or somthing and I get turned on, not at the sight of it I think its gross, I dont know why I do, maybe cause I am not susspose to and my mind makes me do it but I really dont wanna be like that and I am freaking out and am I gonna be a mad killer or somthing. *Cries* I dont wanna be.

Looks like to me you are upset with the thoughts? Re-read the end of your post. You are just getting confused because you have a physical reaction to the thought...anxiety causes adrenalin and doubting about yourself will increase it. Your OCD brain will send mixed messages through to your body. Persevere at step 1 again and again.... ocd wants you to be tricked into misleading you. That is how i see it from my own exp!

Guest Bethyboo

i have not been on here for a while cos i've been feeling really awful about things. unable to do much, but i know how you feel. i get this all the time. i saw a horrible article on the news other day and was convinced if i didnt leave the room something would happen 'down there.' since then ive bi so scared i keep seeing images flashing in my head an its awful. i feel scared of my own house which is the one place i should be safe but these things keep telling me all these lies and sometimes they almost convince me but i know what you meen, i dont want to be this way either.

Guest fraudornot

Hi Bethyboo I also feel very very scared in my own home because of all of this - and the more you get scared in your own home the less you feel able to go out in the big bad world. Just wanted you to know that other people feel the same. My depersonalisation and total disconnect from the world makes the whole 'world experience' nightmarish. We just gotta pray that things will get better.

P

however you feel... however hard it may seem, it is important that you continue, many of us have

been through this stage, but never give in....force yourselfs...they are just thoughts

legend.x

Guest Bethyboo

hey fraudornot

thats good to know im not alone, but sorry to hear your suffering this much too, it is really horrid when it makes us think like this. i hope you get better soon.

and legend you are right i just hope i get through this somehow and one day live a life where these things never cross my mind! sounds impossible right now though

Guest MajesticShannon

I picked up on this with my therapist too. I enjoyed a bad thought, so this must mean Im a dangerous/bad person. Her reply was that I had misunderstood the statement. The initial reaction isnt the issue, its the thoughts that follow. If these are negative (which yours are), it is OCD. By that I mean worrying/stressing about the thought and its meaning. If you were continually ruminating over these thoughts cos they are pleasurable to you, that is the problem according to Baer.

If anyone can provide the link for the debate on this it would be handy.

thanks

Guest wolfie_pawz

Everyones replies are all so helpful. Knowing I'm not alone in these thoughts and such if very very ummm... relieving.

I'm also doing the four steps things when ever I feel that way, so hopefully things will get better.

Thanks everyone.