If you still have your OCD and do OCD things, but its not upsetting you, is that ok?

Guest Sammyhostie

Guest Sammyhostie

Hi everyone

I was just watching the repeat of the "House of Obsessive Compulsives" and recognised so many things of me, as im sure all of us did.

The weird thing is Ive been having a quite a good time OCD wise, and I hadnt really thought about it. But watching that has made me realise that i am still doing all of my OCD things, touching and counting and checking, but they are not stressing me out at the minute.

Do you think this is ok? I feel a bit weird now bcos i tbhought i was doing well by not being so stressed by my OCD, but now ive seen that i am still doing these things, although theyre not stressing me out, i dont know if this its ok.

thank you for reading and making sense of it if you can!

xx

Edited by Guest
Guest mct1978
Hi everyone

I was just watching the repeat of the "House of Obsessive Compulsives" and recognised so many things of me, as im sure all of us did.

The weird thing is Ive been having a quite a good time OCD wise, and I hadnt really thought about it. But watching that has made me realise that i am still doing all of my OCD things, touching and counting and checking, but they are not stressing me out at the minute.

Do you think this is ok? I feel a bit weird now bcos i tbhought i was doing well by not being so stressed by my OCD, but now ive seen that i am still doing these things, although theyre not stressing me out, i dont know if this its ok.

thank you for reading and making sense of it if you can!

xx

Hey Sammy, well i guess it depends how much those things stop you living life as you want to. Compulsions reduce stress in the short term remember not increase it. But you may find your compulsions increase and become more pervasive. If you have your compulsions down to a level that does not interfere to much in living your life and are not increasing then i guess it's ok.

If they are stopping you live a decent life you should try to reduce them.

Matt

Guest Lilliputtian

It's hard to believe though that you aren't stressed or anxious if you are still performing your compulsions because the point of compulsions is to relieve anxiety so why are you doing them? Do you think they've just become a habit now? There is such a thing as background anxiety which means you've got a low level of anxiety all the time but you don't really realise it because you are so used to feeling it.

Guest Sammyhostie

i think i might have background anxiety, and also that doing things has become so automatic that sometimes i dont think about doing them, if that makes sense?

thank you for your replies xx

Hi Sammy :)

Nice to see you, how's the little one?

I suppose the thing is, how would you feel if you stopped doing them? Would that make you anxious?

Many people do things that are OCD like, like always having ornaments in the same place, books arranged in size order and it isn't a problem to them, just a quirk or habit. So in instances like that it's not a problem.

As a sufferer it may be useful to work toward not doing these things whilst you're feeling a bit better.

Caramoole :)

Guest Sammyhostie

Hi hun

Georgie is lovely thank you, hes 5 months old tomorrow! Im not sure how i would feel, i think i will try and stop and see how i feel. ocd is so bizarre i still havent worked it out! xx