yes they got the ocd right, wasnt hard to spot, and brilliant for raising awareness,

Arguable point to be honest Legend, the chap was nice enough and gave a great message about not being ashamed to have OCD, but he was clearly struggling very much with OCD still and what message does that send to other OCD sufferers. I would rather have seen someone perhaps where OCD is still there, but not too problematic anymore. To show that yes you can have serious OCD, but still recover and that would have been superb encouragement to those still struggling. That said, he came across a really nice chap, I hope he is still getting help.

and can't be done just by observing people over a few days.

I agree to a point Rach, that it may have shown that people with mental health can integrate into society like any normal non ill person, which is a great message to put out there. But if they programme was trying to show diagnosing mental illness is difficult it completely missed the point and was not in anyway representative of the 'normal' diagnostic tools used to diagnose mental illness, certainly not OCD! Ask the right questions, you can diagnose OCD in 20 minutes in the vast majority of cases I suspect. No farm trip needed.

i thought they did a great job in the entire programme ......just seeing it from when i did the high maintenance documentary perhaps people don't realise the painstaking ....and i mean painstaking procedure that the people have when they make programmes ...just for a 20 minute piece its like 4 days filming when we did the ''high maintenance documentary'' so i think they did a great job.... unbelievable amount of effort and time in producing the programme and deciding which bits to use or not

I am not sure what point you were trying to make here Hayley, but if many days are spent creating a programme that neither does a good job raising awareness, nor educating, then it's a waste of time. That is my views of the Horizon show, a waste of time because after two episodes were are still left debating the point of the programme.

I have no problem with an entertainment show about OCD (dramas/films), nor a factual documentary but this seems to be neither and gets lost in the middle and does not come across as entertainment, nor a serious look at mental health and proves my point that getting involved in every single TV show is not wise, quality over quantity must be the key.

In terms of OCD although I feel a serious look at contimination issues is just as important as any other form of OCD I feel that this documentary simply added to the sterotypical view of OCD.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HayleyMartin

i cant be bothered to argue any more though there is loads i can say ....sorry - i'm too weary to argue :headslap:

just my opinion - i loved it and it comforted my parents , because it made them feel not so bad at missing my ocd ....cause even experts can struggle to spot stuff

just my opinion .... i loved the programme -

i respect anyone elses who holds a different opinion though - its a good job we are all different and we all hold different views - its what makes the world interesting

i do respect anyone else who holds a different opinion :group:

i'm ducking out of this thread now xxxxx :scooter:

there's me on the scooter - ducking out :lol: xxxxxxx

sorry i'm in a silly mood :lol:

Edited by HayleyMartin

I really enjoyed this program. I got the one with depression almost straight away (dont ask me how, I just knew she had suffered from depression at some point).

Really informative.

Guest HayleyMartin
I really enjoyed this program. I got the one with depression almost straight away (dont ask me how, I just knew she had suffered from depression at some point).

Really informative.

hey thanks hunny :cheer:

do you know ....its interesting what you said above cause i spotted a couple of them straight away ....funny isnt it .

I agree to a point Rach, that it may have shown that people with mental health can integrate into society like any normal non ill person, which is a great message to put out there. But if they programme was trying to show diagnosing mental illness is difficult it completely missed the point and was not in anyway representative of the 'normal' diagnostic tools used to diagnose mental illness, certainly not OCD! Ask the right questions, you can diagnose OCD in 20 minutes in the vast majority of cases I suspect. No farm trip needed.

Sorry - I meant that it can't be done by observing people doing these kinds of things - I mean, I think I could have done all of those tasks and my OCD wouldn't have been spotted.

Still found the programme interesting, but not clear what its goals were so in that way I'm not sure it was successful.

and to be fair, it took ages for my OCD to be diagnosed (im talking a matter of months, of me telling doctors etc that i had OCD and to bloody get it diagnosed and agree with me rather than ignore me), simply because the psychiatrist didnt ask the right questions, and when she did, it was 10 minutes before she practically stamped my head with "ANXIOUS" then she wanted to chuck venlafaxine down my throat. i do think tests that involve spatial awareness and logic are very useful in the diagnosis of OCD as they can help you understand how the brain works. But thats just my opinion.

Edited by Meemz
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Lilliputtian

The second part of this programme is on at 2.30 tonight I think (the morning of 6th December). I haven't seen it yet but I've recorded it. It said on the write up that last's week's episode was the second one so they must have been wrong. Unless I'm just going to end up recording two copies of episode 2. That's a shame HayleyMartin broke her leg. It would have been interesting to have seen a user of this site on there.

I think people keep a lot of things hidden. Mental illnesses, the fact they abuse their families, cross-dressing etc. If you see my other post on this forum about Rose West, apparently her dad was Mr Nice Guy in public, then he went home and abused his daughters.

Someone could watch me 24/7 and not realise there was anything wrong with me. Because my compulsion is inside my body. So I would inevitably be branded a malingerer.

It's like these films you see about the Flatmate from Hell. You think they seem nice, then one night you go to the kitchen to get a glass of water and get an axe through your head.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lilliputtian

I watched the first part last night and Dan got rumbled straight away. I didn't think he was a very positive role model for someone with OCD because he said he had CBT and was taking medication and he still seemed to me to be suffering from quite extreme OCD. He was still over-washing his hands and needed to "clean himself properly". I wonder how severe his OCD was before if that's him after treatment. I didn't agree with him saying that the OCD was a part of him. Surely not, as it can be overcome completely. I thought it was funny the experts thinking the other woman was "normal" and she wasn't. See what these experts know? Nothing. They only got Dan correct because he was so blatantly obvious. If he'd had a different form of OCD they probably wouldn't have picked up on it.