I have faced my fears and am so scared xx

Guest Sammyhostie

Guest Sammyhostie

Hi everyone

I have had palpitations for years, probably since i was about 8 if im honest, and have always put them down to anxiety, but i have always been scared of them, and they are what started off my ocd and anxiety when i was very young. i didnt go on rollercoasters and fast rides at theme parks, becuase i saw the sign that said "dont use if you have heart problems" and i always thought i had, so didnt go on any.

anyway as old users of this board know i have always been worried about them, and ive had quite a lot recently, so i plucked up all my courage and went and saw the doctor. my ecg was normal, but it only was on for 12 seconds and i didnt have any palpitations when it was on. So i went back to the doctor yesterday, and im having 24 hour one done to pick them up, and also lots of blood tests on thursday. they are doing bon profiles and cardiac enzymes and liver and thyroid tests, and im so scared.

im scared i have liver disease (i did used to drink a lot, no alcholic states but every day) and im scared they are going to find something like cancer.

the doctor said they are benign palpitations bcos i havent collappsed or anything, but im so scared that something is very wrong with me and im going to die. i have a new baby and im so scared, i have faced up to my biggest fear and the cause of all my ocd and health anxiety, but now i have i feel so scared and exposed.

xx

Edited by Guest

Hi Sammy,

I'm not quite sure whether your worries about your health are based in fact or if it is an OCD fear - do you feel it's necessary to have the tests? Will you feel better if everything is fine, or not?

Sorry, I know that's not much help, but just wanted to check first. xx

Guest Sammyhostie

Hi hun

I think its both. I want to have the tests bcos i really have had palpitations for so long, and they do worry me in case theres something wrong. But from an OCD perspective, I suppose it is reaussrance, but i would say i am doing it more for the health reasons xx

Hi Sammy,

As you know, we often advise against testing, particularly when it becomes repeated and is simply to reassure.

However, if there is a real physical symptom that relates to something like your heart, doctors are really honour bound to carry out a range of tests. Although I didn't seek it out, my GP insisted once on an ECG, 24 hour blood pressure monitoring to check me out.

The range of tests are quite standard and only being done to eliminate obvious causes.

Your OCD has major issues around your health, this has probably been more heightened since having the baby and your maternal instincts to look after him.

Once these test results come back, hopefully clear, you should maybe be pushing for some help and a referral for CBT to help you really come to grips with your fears.

Hope everything goes well

Caramoole :)

Guest Sammyhostie

thank you hun xx

i didnt even think of it being ocd untl you and rachie said it, so thats how i know its something i need to get checked out, i want to make sure im ok health wise, not ocd wise xx