Ladies only please!

I've been putting it off for a while but this week I finally bit the bullet and booked an appointment to have my first smear test. I am very anxious about it. I'm also having a couple of other tests / exams done by her because I've had very long periods recently, which I shouldn't have because I'm on the Pill. It's probably due to stress but I think she wants to check.

I'm not anxious because of any health anxiety or anything; I'm anxious because of the whole process.

Any advice / support would be gratefully received!

Many thanks :blushing:

Hi there, its nothing to worry over, i dont know how much detail you want anyone to go into, but its all over very quick, a little uncomfortable sometimes but that is all and its over and done with very speedily. Hope this is of help. If you want more detail pls say so :-) It will be fine though x

Hi NS

Please don't worry about this too much. I won't lie and say it's a nice experience (because it isn't) but it really isn't that bad at all. It's uncomfortable for a few seconds, but this is easily helped by lots of slow, deep breathing (which also helps the Nurse to get it done quicker too!). I've had to have three in the last 12 months.

They have different sizes of the instrument they use for the test and will pick the one that is most suitable for your body. It's all over with very quickly and there will be no pain or discomfort afterwards.

Just remember to do some deep breathing which will help relax your muscles. If you need any more advice or want to chat about it, shoot me a PM or message.

Take care and try not to worry too much

Love K

xx

ive been nervy about this before, once for health anxiety - and then got told i didnt need one :lol: and a couple of times because its a bit weird.

thing is tho its nothing to worry about, as kitty said, not exactly enjoyable, but discomfort thats all.

i find it helps to just mention that im nervous, im sure plenty of people say that, and remember the nurse probably does it every day so if very experienced at it.

treat yourself to a nice coffee after! xx

Honestly Jo, as the other girls have said it's really very quick and at worst uncomfortable but tbh, I've never really found it to be that uncomfortable. Try and relax your muscles and it really helps.

They take a quick scrape of cells, a brief visual examination and palpate the abdomen.

You feel a bit of a spare part laying there but it's so matter of fact and quick, it's done with before you know it.

Caramoole :)

if it makes you feel better i had mine last week and it's not as bad as you imagine, a little embarrasing (sp?) but over with really quickly, and just remember the nurse has probably seen it all before so don't worry about it. if it helps tell them that your nervous, my nurse is really good, she talks to me while she does it about stuff that has nothing to do with the smear, like what i'm doing at the weekend and that helps me to relax. the worst bit for me is deciding on what knickers to wear :lol: like she cares ha ha ha ha

Also - try to remember that the nurse/doc does this every day - so there is no need to be embarased - its just like working the supermarket checkout to them :a1_cheesygrin:

Thank you for all the replies - you've helped put my mind at rest a bit :).

It's a midwife here who does the test and she's absolutely lovely, but I still wish it was over already! My OCD is throwing thoughts at me and I'm trying to relabel them as OCD thoughts instead of "real" worries.......

I'll be going to the drop-in clinic on either Tues or Thurs afternoon - if I get my courage up enough it'll be on Tues, otherwise Thurs. I'll try taking deep breaths which is hard when you're anxious but hopefully it should also help with the anxiety.

the worst bit for me is deciding on what knickers to wear :lol: like she cares ha ha ha ha

This made me laugh! :lol:

As the others say - don't worry!

It doesn't hurt, and it is over in a minute! And when you even like the midwife, you are much better off, because this wil make you relax!

It made me laugh too.......especially as you won't be wearing any at the time :blushing: :a1_cheesygrin:

you think that's bad, i even shave my legs, i don't even do that for my husband :lol:

Guest messed up

thats really brave of you :)

you think that's bad, i even shave my legs, i don't even do that for my husband :lol:

haha - i guess the positive thing is that its pretty unlikley that anyone will get obsessed about these.

Just out of curiosity - is it true that you dont actually need to go for a smear test until you are sexually active (spot the newbie :blushing: ) ?

Edited by Guest
Just out of curiosity - is it true that you dont actually need to go for a smear test until you are sexually active (spot the newbie :blushing: ) ?

If you're under 25 and not sexually active then you don't need one, but after 25 whether you're sexually active or not you have to have them - that's what I've was told anyway. Hope that helps a bit :original:

Yeah it really aint that bad, it aint nice but think how relieved youll feel after! :original: Well done for not putting it off anymore, the quicker you get it done now the quicker you can stop worrying hun!! Just do it as they say :original:

Guest Dragonfruit

Jo - you're so super brave - you can def do this.

In fact you've inspired me to book mine - has been 7 years since I had my last (and only) test.

Guest Lizbeth

I had mine a few months ago and it's totally fine...if you've ever had a bikini line wax then the scenario is very similiar but much less painful! A little uncomfortable but very quick and worth doing for your health.

Like someone else said, it does help to remember they see this every day all day.

Good luck.

:original:

Guest Lizbeth

You're welcome. :original:

I was thinking, is there any way it would help if they knew you were nervous about it? I had an STI check up a month ago and it started to trigger all my old HIV OCD obsessions. They were very helpful and organised the procedure in a way that was as stress free as possible. They also talked me through the process.

Maybe your dr could do something similiar?

I told her I was nervous about it and she was very understanding. She explained what she was doing as she did it and promised to stop straight away if it hurt. It did hurt but I asked her to carry on as I wanted it over and done with! Had 2 OCD moments in it but coped okay (through self-reassurance :blushing:).

If I were to change clothes now would that be OCD? :huh: :blushing:

PS went and got some Ben & Jerry's afterwards :a1_cheesygrin:

Guest Aimsley_87

Yes it would be OCd, try and sit with the anxiety.

Also, im 21 and have been sexually active since 17...do i need a smear test? :blushing:

Bit embarassed to ask anyone face to face!

Aims. xx

Yes Jo, it would be giving in to the OCD - do try and sit with the anxiety like Aims has suggested.

Also, im 21 and have been sexually active since 17...do i need a smear test?

It would be advisable for you to have a smear test Aims. I had my first one at the age of 20.

Kylie

x x x