Fluoxetine Dosage Question

I couldn't get in to see my GP for about a fortinight so I wrote for a re-prescription of Fluoxetine which I used to take for my Pure O OCD. I wanted something to help me get through and relax during the Christmas period as my thoughts always come back at this time. He obliged my re-prescriibign but he has only given me 1 x (20mg) tablet per day. I used to have 2 a day and am now worried that 1 20mg Fluoxetine tablet may not be strong enough?

I see from researching online that some OCD fluoxetine doses are as high as 80mg a day.

Jon.

Guest Dragonfruit

as far as i know 20mg is the strength the vast majority of people start off on

if you've not been taking it for a while your doc will want you to build the dosage up gradually

Guest ppyvabw

You have to start on 20mg or you will be ill. It has to be built up in stages, and pills are available in 20 or 60 mg, so 20mg increments is most sensible.

60 is the maximum licensed dose. You can go up to 80, I was on 80 for over a year. I believe 100mg is also considered safe.

I think just to get you through xmas, it will be as much use as an inflatable dart board. For it to have any effect you have to be on it a significant period of time.