Totally confused about becoming a member

Guest autumn girl
But as a sufferer, which is what most people that contribute are, they should receive some kind of extra help and incentive for their money. And clear information on where their money is spent.

I agree entirely with this

Autumn x

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Footprints

Who says we arent happy with where the money is going? OCD-UK does a lot with the money it gets in. I dont feel the need to over analyse where my 24 is going because as long as it helps keep OCD-UK running I'm happy. This forum is just one of the many things OCD-UK provides for suffers. The fact is that does cost money to run as well as everything else they do.

Once upon a time I had a major breakdown and without the people I met through this website I may not have battled it. So I am completely happy to give what I can to make sure that other sufferers can seek the help and support that I got through this charity.

You may not always be aware of how much they do, but trust me the charity never stops doing things to make life for OCD sufferers easier. I am a single parent and dont have a lot coming in because I can't work because my OCD. I am happy though to give what I can spare to make sure we don't loose such an amazing charity.

Edited by Guest
Guest Lizbeth

I think, though, if you look at the main website which highlights conferences, the production of a new leaflet specifically aimed at children as well as the newsletter then it is clear where the money goes. OCD UK also produced a large amount of posters raising awareness of OCD that were displayed in GPs surgeries etc.

I recently did some work with another charity who produce printed materials as part of their ongoing campaign and it is incredibly expensive to mass produce high quality, colour printed materials.

What kind of extra help do you think would be appropriate?

Guest Lilliputtian

A charity that hides where it's contributions are being spent will not attract as many contributors as one that is open about it. And that charity might well be viewed with suspicion by a lot of people. Would you be happy to find money that had been given to a charity had been spent on nights out at fancy restaurants by the owners of that charity, would you be happy to find out that money was funding terrorism, would you be happy to find that the money you contributed was sitting in a bank account somewhere and not being spent? That is why it's so important for charities to inform their doners on where their money will be used and has been used.

Thank you Autumn Girl. You're a voice of reason in a sea of nonsense.

how much does it cost to run a chat facilty ??? i think its around 4000 a year,

how much does it cost to raise awareness ?? priceless,

I think if you want detailed breakdown of the accounts, im sure you can pm or email ocduk, they

would be more than happy to send you the accounts,

at the agm, as it stood, ocduk had enough to keep them going for another 8 months, but,

fortunatly, they received a 10,000 donation from somebody who had left it to ocduk in their will,

so that keeps the charity going,

legend

A charity that hides where it's contributions are being spent will not attract as many contributors as one that is open about it. And that charity might well be viewed with suspicion by a lot of people. Would you be happy to find money that had been given to a charity had been spent on nights out at fancy restaurants by the owners of that charity, would you be happy to find out that money was funding terrorism, would you be happy to find that the money you contributed was sitting in a bank account somewhere and not being spent? That is why it's so important for charities to inform their doners on where their money will be used and has been used.

Thank you Autumn Girl. You're a voice of reason in a sea of nonsense.

as i said lilli, if it concerns you, email ocduk, it will give you a detailed report, then perhaps you will understand

where the monies have been spent, as always, in a proffessional, trust worthy way

legend

Guest Lizbeth
A charity that hides where it's contributions are being spent will not attract as many contributors as one that is open about it. And that charity might well be viewed with suspicion by a lot of people.

But have you asked any of the admins for a breakdown of the outgoings? Has anyone on the management actually refused a request for a breakdown of outgoings?

You're a voice of reason in a sea of nonsense.

Not quite sure why you said that, Lilliputtian.

Guest Footprints

Ahh I see we don't agree so its nonsense??

As Lizbeth said OCD-UK does not hide what it does.

I think some people just like to find fault in everything, and that is your perogative. But thankfully for OCD-UK not everyone has that attitude. Some of us give to it because we are supporting what OCD-UK does which is alot. As I said though some people wont see the evidence even if it is in front of them with a big flashing sign.

Guest Lilliputtian

What kind of extra help do I think would be appropriate? I'd like people to get professional advice through this site rather than just the views of other site users. That would mean having moderators on paying sections on this site that were qualified in the field. That in cases where people are suicidal they could talk to someone on the phone, instead of just on the forum. I think people on this site in general, paying and non-paying should be given updates on what scientific leaps are being made in this field with a view to curing it or controlling it. And I think the newsletters should be electronic and sent out at the end of each month.

Everytime you put a post on here you mention Ashley Fulwood as though he's your big brother. It's like you use him as a big stick to beat us with

wheres you evidence lilli, oh it must be in the sea of nonsense.. :a1_cheesygrin:

You asked a good question, where does the 24 pounds go, some have answered, and i have answered,

IF IT CONCERNS YOU EMAIL OCDUK........

If you feel that other sites are better and free, by all means use them,

Guest Lizbeth
What kind of extra help do I think would be appropriate? I'd like people to get professional advice through this site rather than just the views of other site users. That would mean having moderators on paying sections on this site that were qualified in the field. That in cases where people are suicidal they could talk to someone on the phone, instead of just on the forum.

I think those sound great...but that would mean a hell of a lot more than £2 a month each. Are you suggesting that you would be willing to pay more for these extras?

I think people on this site in general, paying and non-paying should be given updates on what scientific leaps are being made in this field with a view to curing it or controlling it. And I think the newsletters should be electronic and sent out at the end of each month.

Not sure how often the newsletter is available but ut us available electronically. And as to updates on research, new regulations etc that information is actually available on the main page of the website and is available to guests and members alike.

I think people on this site in general, paying and non-paying should be given updates on what scientific leaps are being made in this field with a view to curing it or controlling it.

If you look at the ocduk homepage, theres a wealth of information on there, a page that is often overlooked,

and of course is free to all users.

Guest autumn girl

I personally respect Lilli for challenging the status quo on here.

And I think Ashley and OCD-UK should take what she says seriously.

It's very easy to listen to what you agree with.

Guest Lilliputtian

I see I just get what other people have gotten on here in the past. "If you don't like it, don't come on here." So if I'm concerned about something, don't voice that concern? Just run away!!!! A lot of people have done just that because they weren't listened to and the site is poorer for not having their opinions. Now I'm amongst the great brain-washed it seems. Welcome to Stepford! Don't dare to question why, just obey. Strange that I mentioned Big Brother earlier isn't it? I really do think on this site that there should be a page saying,"Thanks to your money, this was bought, this facility was opened, children with OCD were helped, the site is able to keep running for xxx amount of time." Where is the thanks to the contributors? That would really impress me to see some gratitude to people that contribute either their time or money to this site. I think they deserve some recognition. It's not all about ONE man and his mission, it's about hundreds. You can't assume where your money is being spent. You deserve to KNOW!

Guest autumn girl

Not in your opinion no Footprint and you have the right to have your opinon, as do others that don't agree with you.

The wonderful world of democracy.

Guest Footprints

No people are more than welcome to question things but whats the point of questioning it if you don't listen to the answer or call peoples thoughts nonsense.

The two people querying where the money, goes on this thread, arent members and dont contribute, so why do you think you should be given information as to where the contributions go that we as members willingly give?

To think running the website doesnt cost money is extremely naive it is actually very expensive. I am involved in another website completely separate to OCD and I know it costs a lot of money each year just to keep it ticking over.

The overheads of charities such a OXFAM are huge, with many paid staff, the fact that this charity only employs Ashley and is run otherwise by volunteers is amazing.

Why mention the fact that the members are in a minority? We as members are happy to share the facilities with those who cant contribute (and of course there are many) and those who wont.

I am a bit confused Lilliputtian as to why you are actually on this site, having made over 150 posts, as you dont seem to have a good word to say about it. Perhaps it isnt all bad after all.

I am posting this as a fully paid up member, who has absolutely no wish to know where her money goes, and not as a unpaid moderator.

Guest Footprints

I personally don't want thanks for my contribution its a sad world when people give to charity expecting a big thank you. I actually donated seperately from my 24 when i could and I did receive an email from Ashley thanking me.

Edited by Guest
Guest Lizbeth

I think, Lilliputtian, the main page of the OCD UK site shows in great detail where money goes and what the charity has been doing.

But, I do need to re-iterate this, have either of you contacted OCD UK for a detailed breakdown?

And was it refused?

Guest autumn girl

But carol I have been a member and paid for 12 months, I have had my email asking me to renew my membership and I am questionning why rather than just paying my money as I did last time.

Guest Lilliputtian

The nonsense is that nobody seems to take the point on board that they deserve to know more about what happens to their money. And they deserve to be thanked for what they do for others on here, whether they contribute financially or not. Anyone would think from some people's opinions that Ashley is the last word, and no-one else does anything. And he's the only one on the pay-roll according to Legend so you'd expect his incentive to be stronger than most wouldn't you?