Guest potatosalad

Drinking water is really important, especially if you are on medication. Ssri's and many other drugs are metabolized in the liver and by drinking water you are helping this proccess.

By not drinking enough water your body is having to work harder to metabolize the meds and it also means you are not flushing toxins out of your system. Although ssri's are among the safest and least harmful psychiatric drugs they are still 'chemical' (as appose to natural) and should be helped along as much as possible.

I find it really hard to drink 2-3 litres of water a day but am forcing myself as I definitely feel better when I do. I sleep better, have less headaches and generally have more energy during the day. I have bought one of those brita water filters as I dont like drinking tap water and the bottled stuff is too expensive. I have a litre bottle that I bought from a camping shop which goes everywere with me and helps me keep track of how much I have drunk during the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya again,

This drinking thing is getting quite bad...last night I was at a gig in Manchester, it was standing only, and it got really hot and I passed out because I was dehydrated. I was with 3 friends and they got really scared. A couple of them said they'd thought I'd actually died because before I fainted I was swaying about and they said my pupils kept dilating and constricting and I was blinking weirdly or something. One of my friends grabbed hold of me and tried to stop me hitting my head, which she did, I have no idea how. Luckily the singer stopped and asked for help and this nice American guy who I think was a roadie for the group came and helped me out. Then I blacked out again and he tipped water over me to try to cool me down and they made me drink lots because I was dehydrated. I need to do something about this not drinking thing. But I find it hard enough with the small amount I do drink so I'm don't really know how I'm supposed to drink more :thumbup::D :blushing:

Needing to go to the loo  :blushing:

35607[/snapback]

Hi Jo,

Poor you; hope you're feeling better now (hey it's one way of meeting a hunky guy :D ) I know it's hard but you will have to try and drink more or you will make yourself ill.

I dread going to the loo - even when I'm at home - sets off all sorts of anxieties but the more times I go to the loo (especially when I'm out) the easier it becomes.

I do drink a lot through the day, constantly seem to have a coffee on the go but I don't seem to need the loo too much.

I know it's not easy going to the loo when out - for all sorts of complex reasons (I had a bad episode in Tesco's loo the other day - got myself in a right 2 and 8) but really the more times you do go, the easier it becomes (with little blips now and then. )

Hope you managed to enjoy the evening out with your friends anyway.

Take care

whitebeam

Poor you; hope you're feeling better now

Physically I'm feeling fine thanks :thumbup: I was shaky afterwards, my hand was shaking when I was trying to drink and my legs were wobbly but I'm OK :thumbup:.

(hey it's one way of meeting a hunky guy  :D ) I know it's hard but you will have to try and drink more or you will make yourself ill.

We were saying before we went that we wanted to meet the singer! Well, we didn't manage that but he certainly noticed us! :blushing: (P.S. just wanted to say that in no way was it intentional that I fainted - believe me, I felt so lousy before it happened that it's not something I'd like to happen again. I think it wasa relief, both to me and my friends, when I actually fell to the floor because it meant that people would help. The reason it was a relief to me is that I was out of it and could no longer feel myself swaying about whilst trying to stay upright.)

I know I need to drink more. I think if I hadn't been in such a hot place that I wouldn't have fainted but I remember when I was in hospital in November that my mum kept telling me I was dehydrated and making me drink. I haven't drunk anything today and I don't feel any effects from it. It's weird. I don't know if I can overcome it.

Guest Muse_Man

Hi Northern Star,

Sorry to drag up this long thread again.

I have also got into this routine (more a routine than a compulsive ritual) of not drinking water or sometimes even eating, and will usually go without drinking or eating (only the odd chocolate bar and packet of crisps, no breakfast) during the day (8 to 12 hours) until I get home and have dinner and pig out.

I know its not a healthy thing especially when Im busy or playing sport that day. But like you my body has seem to of adapted so it doesnt need it or I shut out the feeling of hunger or thirst and this has become habit and normal for me. I do feel headachy and dry throat sometimes but I usually dont notice any severe affects. I do not have any eating disoder that I am aware of.

Originally, it all stemmed from not allowing myself to drink or eat until I had completed a compulsion or thought ritual properly, also in this way I do pause myself doing other normal activites, which is extremely frustrating. Not so much now, I felt guilty about deprived people in the world who have no or little drinking water, and decided to cut down the amount I drank to make myself feel less guilty. I also have concerns about saving water because of the issue of water scarity being a major environmental issue.

I restrict myself from eating and drinking more now because I am a workaholic, and never satisfied until I finish something, so I wont stop and get something to eat or reach in my bag for a bottle of water, I even miss the last bus sometimes trying to finish off typing, etc. I also get stuck in a places where I can avoid direct interaction with people, like sitting in the computer room at my college (less interference with compulsions), and this makes it harder to get up and leave. Im even doing it :thumbup: now reading through this message board and typing messages - please no offence anyone!!!

I have no real tips and advice to share with you. I am trying to change my habits, and bring along pack lunch with healthy snacks more often, drink more water and ignore the compulsive urge not to drink, and take more breaks from my work and force myself to get up and give myself a reason to stretch my legs (to the snack shop).

I think the main thing is getting into habit, not forcing yourself, but gradually drinking more and more water each day setting targets. Carrying around a medium size bottle of water will help. Obviously you realise the health implications, so you dont end up harming yourself when all need to do is drink something. :thumbup:

Stuart

Guest ScottOCDid
I think the main thing is getting into habit, not forcing yourself, but gradually drinking more and more water each day setting targets. Carrying around a medium size bottle of water will help. Obviously you realise the health implications, so you dont end up harming yourself when all need to do is drink something. :blushing:

Stuart

35694[/snapback]

Hi Stuart,

And you be sure to take care of your health & wellbeing, too. Taking too much work on can be an extra challenge for an OCDer (although I could do with listening to that message myself before I try selling it!) :grin:

Cheers,

Scott

:whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

I am now too terrified to drink anything. I didn't take my pills this morning like I'm supposed to because I didn't want to drink anything. I eventually took them sometime after 7 this evening (not sure exactly when). About an hour ago I was desperate for a drink but I am too frightened to drink anything at all. Please help if you can :help:

I am now too terrified to drink anything. I didn't take my pills this morning like I'm supposed to because I didn't want to drink anything. I eventually took them sometime after 7 this evening (not sure exactly when). About an hour ago I was desperate for a drink but I am too frightened to drink anything at all. Please help if you can  :help:

38243[/snapback]

Hi Star,

It's really important that you do drink especially if you're feeling thirsty. Apparently, if you feel thirsty you have already gone past the point when you should have had a drink - can't quite remember this - but I think if you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.

Why are you frightened to drink? Is it to do with going to the loo? I still don't like going to the loo - even at home - but we all have to do it :) !!!!

Perhaps just have a small glass of water/squash whatever and drink that and later perhaps try another - that way you're not drinking loads in one go.

Don't know if it will help,

whitebeam

Why are you frightened to drink? Is it to do with going to the loo?

Yes, that's why.

I still haven't drunk anything. I haven't taken today's pills yet. I am terrified of drinking anything.

OCD and depression have really kicked in with a vengeance. I should be revising these hols and instead I am sleeping, crying and doing OCD stuff so much. It hasn't been this bad for a while. I'm so unhappy with it all.

P.S. yet more apologies for another moan :D

Guest Kitty
OCD and depression have really kicked in with a vengeance. I should be revising these hols and instead I am sleeping, crying and doing OCD stuff so much. It hasn't been this bad for a while. I'm so unhappy with it all.

P.S. yet more apologies for another moan  :D

38289[/snapback]

NS,

Come on - you don't have to apologise...that's what we're here for :)

Maybe you feel so down because you're dehydrated? I know that's not much help when your fear is drinking, but it can do all sorts of strange stuff to you...

If I don't drink enough I get all panicky and anxious and fearful, then my OCD kicks off big time.

Maybe could you try just putting a small glass of water (or cup of tea) or whatever you fancy (non alcoholic though, :)) in front of you and just taking a small sip every few minutes? That way you'll drink and get your fluids inside you without gulping down loads of water in one way...

Don't know whether this'll help or not - but probably if you're so thirsty, if you drink now you might not need the loo straightaway cos your body will have to do some catching up? Does that make sense?

Love K

xx

Guest ScottOCDid
Maybe you feel so down because you're dehydrated? I know that's not much help when your fear is drinking, but it can do all sorts of strange stuff to you...

38293[/snapback]

Sounds like a very valid point, Queenie. Dehydration to this degree will almost certainly have a negative impact on your mood, NS, and could well account for your chest pains, too.

Please try to listen to your body, not your OCD, and try to take some liquid on-board :thumbup:

S

Originally, it all stemmed from not allowing myself to drink or eat until I had completed a compulsion or thought ritual properly, also in this way I do pause myself doing other normal activites, which is extremely frustrating

i used to be like this as well (and still am to some extent.) i also used to only allow myself 4 drinks a day (like mouthfuls not bottles) and 4 occasions to eat (which would usually be 4 mouthfuls) but i lost a lot of weight and in the end realised i couldn't continue like that. i now do still arrange what i eat with some kind of numerical pattern, ussually if i think i am pretty much full from what ive eaten, i will have 4 more mouthfuls or whatever, to like give it some kind of order or routine. its like i have to have a rule to stick to so then i will know whether i am adhering to the rule or not, if things are just random then i could be breaking some unknown ocd rule.... yeah i'm gessing this doesnt make much sense to people!

In reference to NS, please try and drink, i know ocd just takes over everything but drinking is a basic human need so you need to do it! i know what its like but please try :thumbup:

lisa x

Guest Kitty
i used to be like this as well (and still am to some extent.) i also used to only allow myself 4 drinks a day (like mouthfuls not bottles) and 4 occasions to eat (which would usually be 4 mouthfuls) but i lost a lot of weight and in the end realised i couldn't continue like that. i now do still arrange what i eat with some kind of numerical pattern, ussually if i think i am pretty much full from what ive eaten, i will have 4 more mouthfuls or whatever, to like give it some kind of order or routine. its like i have to have a rule to stick to so then i will know whether i am adhering to the rule or not, if things are just random then i could be breaking some unknown ocd rule.... yeah i'm gessing this doesnt make much sense to people!

38367[/snapback]

Ooh good grief :omg: - I thought it was just me that did that Lisa...I did the whole 4 drinks 4 times to eat a day too...

I've kind of gone back to it recently...though not quite as bad as it used to be.

That totally makes sense and I do understand what you mean :mad:

Jo - one drink is better than no drinks at all...well done :) It's a start and a big step for you...keep it up!! :)

Hi Star,

Well done for having the orange hunny, That is a really good start :( .

This may be a stupid suggestion :wallbash: but I was wondering if you could maybe do something like have flavoured ice-cubes or ice lollys?- I know it's not as good as water etc, but you would at least get some fluid from them. It's not ideal but at least it may help a bit while you're working on this?, because you really do need to get some fluids. Probally a silly suggestion :censored:.

Take good care

Love Bluexx

Guest ScottOCDid
Just thought I'd let you know I am sitting here with a big mug of orange :) :)

38465[/snapback]

Good for you! Now how about getting away from the PC for a minute and having another one?! :)

Guest ScottOCDid
OK, just for you I went and got one :) (although it's only a little one because I REALLY don't want to drink any more)

38521[/snapback]

:):):):):):):)

I haven't done very well with drinking today - I had a Frappuccino in Starbucks (not sure that can be called a drink!) and a tiny bit of water for my pills.

It was a bit scary actually because I went to give blood this afternoon and then when I stood up I walked a little way and started to go faint and my vision started to go. I kept walking slowly though and thankfully it stopped. They tell you to have a drink and something to eat before you leave the place but I was too scared to drink anything and I wasn't hungry so I didn't. I then spent the journey home feeling rather ill so that should teach me :thumbdown:.

Guest hayley73

Hi NS

Do you avoid drinking so you don't have to go to the loo, and therefore have to wash you hands? If this is the case, please try Instant Hand Cleanser. The one I have is made by Palmolive but, I'm sure other companies may it too. No soap or water invovlved. Just a squirt of the stuff on your hand. Rub hands together done!!!! I believe it's similar to the stuff used by nurses in hospital wards. A little bottle of this stuff lasts forever, as such a small amount is required. I think you may be able to get the same sort of thing from the GP too. Have a look for it in chemists. I'm sure Superdrug and Boots will do it. Hope this helps.