Time to Change TV Adverts

I've just seen an advert on television that explores the discrimination that mental-health patients suffer. I nearly cried when I saw it - it covered stuff like parental stress and the loss of employment because of the stigma associated with poor mental health.

Has anyone else seen this and has anyone experienced any of the problems covered and have you suffered mental health discriminations of any kind?

I've just seen an advert on television that explores the discrimination that mental-health patients suffer. I nearly cried when I saw it - it covered stuff like parental stress and the loss of employment because of the stigma associated with poor mental health.

Has anyone else seen this and has anyone experienced any of the problems covered and have you suffered mental health discriminations of any kind?

Yes........ My children wont speak to me because I am 'mental' I am in the process of retiring from work and its very hard to get someone to believe my symptoms.

It is difficult to form relationships with women because as soon as they hear about mental health or substance abuse problems they don't want to know.

Actually I thought it was quite good. The voice that said 'You need to snap out of it' I could personally empathise with because my Mum says that to me. I know she's trying to help, trying to remind me but it makes me feel lonely in a way.

Guest HayleyMartin
careful cub, shes on a man hunt :blushing: :a1_cheesygrin:

eeeek legend

i thought cub was female :lol:

oh cub are you male - well in that case ''HELLO BABE'' :lol:

Guest HayleyMartin

careful cub - he's on a woman hunt :lol:

anyhow back to the topic in hand :whistling:

legend how is it you and i always lower the tone :haha:

quick lets pretend were talking about serious issues :whistling:

what did you think of the advert legend ?

careful cub, shes on a man hunt :blushing: :a1_cheesygrin:

eeeek legend

I am available....!!!!! 50 and good looooookin in a Harrison Ford sort of style I have GSOH and like long walks and Counting Crows.....actually counting them in an ocd sort of way..... :blushing:

I am looking for a single lady who will hang on my every word and be able to say in a husky way

' your full of sheeeeeeeet' :haha:

any offers

Philip

Guest HayleyMartin
Yes........ My children wont speak to me because I am 'mental' I am in the process of retiring from work and its very hard to get someone to believe my symptoms.

It is difficult to form relationships with women because as soon as they hear about mental health or substance abuse problems they don't want to know.

sweetheart have you found that out to be the case - like women not wanting to know cause of mental health - have you really experinced that

i have to be honest it has had the opposite effect for me - with people being much more interested and intreigued because of my mental health problems .

have you actually found that you have more problems love ?

sorry hunny - i just added my post and you got yours in first :headslap: - so mine doesnt make sense now

Edited by HayleyMartin

not seen it yet, but i did receive a letter from my local mht, as there doing a awareness week on eating disorders,

i dont know if this is local or national, so i emailed them back to see if they will be doing an ocd one,

i do help out locally as well, which is important.

ill keep an eye out for it...then i shall comment forthwith......

legend :blushing: lol

careful cub - he's on a woman hunt :lol:

anyhow back to the topic in hand :whistling:

legend how is it you and i always lower the tone :haha:

quick lets pretend were talking about serious issues :whistling:

what did you think of the advert legend ?

:original: one day i hope to meet you hayley, and then we can be completley mad together

leggy

sweetheart have you found that out to be the case - like women not wanting to know cause of mental health - have you really experinced that

i have to be honest it has had the opposite effect for me - with people being much more interested and intreigued because of my mental health problems .

have you actually found that you have more problems love ?

sorry hunny - i just added my post and you got yours in first :headslap: - so mine doesnt make sense now

Yes.....can i have some sympathy now?..... oh dear my emotcions wont load :- (

I thought it was quite a good advert, that will get people thinking. For those that have missed it you can view online here.

Be good to get a selection of comments together for our magazine and main website.

On another note we actually contacted the group behind this many months ago to offer our support, we made contact with someone at Mind who was working on the project but they never came back to us. I will try again this week.

Guest HayleyMartin
Yes.....can i have some sympathy now?..... oh dear my emotcions wont load :- (

awww hunny :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

there sympathy - well if you look like harrison ford he's well good looking !!!!!!!!!!

i better pretend i'm being serious now - am always getting into trouble for flirting me :asif:

youve probably got the numbers ashley , but if you are having trouble getting them , i have got some contact details for them .

can i go back to flirting now .....am just kidding :whistling:

harrison ford...............

Edited by HayleyMartin
Guest HayleyMartin

just 2 more things that are going out - you probably know already , but they are starting to teach mental health well being in school :cheer:

and they are now introducing a new service where you can phone up and get free counselling within 5 weeks :cheer:

theyre training up the new counsellors now as we speak - starting off across my county

so you just phone up and you can self refer too.

my cbt therapist told me yesterday :cheer:

its got a posh name but i cant remember it :lol:

av got the leaflet on it now - its called iapt

improving access to psychological therapies - sorry i think its only in my county at the moment but it should be spreading

Edited by HayleyMartin
Guest HayleyMartin

i think there is a link on the other page to it hunny

thats the advert i like the DoH National Health Service - Eat Better, Move More, Live Longer - Change4life one with colourful plastercine men

thats great - is it just me being a 10 year old :blushing: :baby: :baby2:

it is isnt it :blushing:

Guest WestDorsetBlue

I saw the advert and thought is was very good and I have also registered with the site.

The part where the chap say, 'I feel uncomfortable talking about it' is so true. I had the same comment from a museum employee, when researching my dissertation.

There is still a lot of stigma which surrounds mental ill health. I think it is four in ten employers would consider employing someone with a mental ill health problem.

When I sent out my survey to out to museums in the south west, I received ten replies. One person from a museum added a comment that mental health was a excuse for slackers.

Hopefully this campaign will make people, like the person who gave the comment in my survey understand that mental ill health is a very serious issue and the sooner people are educated on mental ill health the better.