Time to Change TV Adverts

HM and Legend - I'm a female University student!!! :laugh: :clapping: :haha:

You two crack me up, you really do.

And yes, I thought the advert was very good. As I say I could empathise with it; the 'snap out of it' thing is something my Mum is often saying to me. It helps in a way, but prompts loneliness because it takes a few minutes to snap out of OCD.

Edited by Cub

HM and Legend - I'm a female University student!!!

You two crack me up, you really do.

i think its her age, it gets to her sometimes bless her...xx :blushing:

Guest Charlotte

I really like this advert - I can identify with so many of the things that they say.

However, it didn't make any attempt to explain the illnesses, to show why the people are normal. I don't think that we'll be able to stop discrimination before people understand mental health better.

Thats great news Hayley..mental health in schools sounds great!!

Ill have to watch the advert in a minute!

Ive just been doing a computer course and when I finished doing my stuff I always went to read new posts on this site..I knew the others would notice it and they did and asked what it was all about. Funny enough 2 thought it was handwashing and physical compulsions only and I tried to describe (badly!) what Pure O was all about with the example of harming thoughts..probably not the best example and I do tend to overwhelm people as Ive been dealing with it so long and get very passionate about the subject so it was probably all too much and not explained very well but I was a little proud anyway that a few people will have a little bit more awareness.

I was worried after as I used to harming example, they could tell i was talking about myself and that that is one of my issues and the tutor took the mickey a bit aswell (hes like that tho) but noone treated me any differently at all, I think it makes them more curious really. They can tell Im not 'weird' in any way and someone told me before that it kinda makes me lovable, bless her.

People either accept you for what you are or they dont and if they dont theyre not really worth it I think.

Off to watch the advert now which this thread was initially intended for I believe :blushing: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lizbeth

This campaign http://www.time-to-change.org.uk/ has been running advert via the radio station I listen to in London...absolute radio. (there is a link on their site) Absolute radio are based in London (used to be Virgin radio) but they broadcast nationwide, I think.

It's a general campaign to get people to think about mental health discrimination. They've also been running ads on the tube with people like Stephen Fry. It's not targetted at any one specific disorder but at general public awareness of mental illness in general.

Seems like a good thing. :clapping:

Hi Lizbeth,

Funnily enough - on the opposite page to the OCD article in Cosmo this month is a big advertisement for the Time to Change campaign. It features Ruby Wax. Although it mention her own personal battle with depression, it is also aimed at Mental Health in general.

Absolute radio are based in London (used to be Virgin radio) but they broadcast nationwide

Random fact - but a girl I went to Primary and Secondary school with is one of the news readers for Absolute Radio!! It's very strange listening to her voice on the radio - she doesn't sound anything like she did when we were at school together.