Positive Celebrity Role Models

Guest Lilliputtian

Guest Lilliputtian

I was watching Derren Brown's Evening of Wonders and I'm sure he has OCD. There's just something about him that makes me think it. He makes jokes about OCD. He tells people they all have to stand symetrically or he can't do the trick. But I don't think it is a joke. I think he really does have it. I know that he has a violent nervous tic and when you see him on stage you can see that he is having trouble controlling it. But he does manage it.

I wish someone like Derren Brown did have OCD because he would be a positive role model. Why are there no positive celebrity role models for sufferers of OCD? The depression sufferers have got Stephen Fry. What about us?

• 2 months later...
Guest jd09
I was watching Derren Brown's Evening of Wonders and I'm sure he has OCD. There's just something about him that makes me think it. He makes jokes about OCD. He tells people they all have to stand symetrically or he can't do the trick. But I don't think it is a joke. I think he really does have it. I know that he has a violent nervous tic and when you see him on stage you can see that he is having trouble controlling it. But he does manage it.

I wish someone like Derren Brown did have OCD because he would be a positive role model. Why are there no positive celebrity role models for sufferers of OCD? The depression sufferers have got Stephen Fry. What about us?

Hi Lilliputtian,

Apparantly Jessica Alba and David Beckham have OCD. It's also suspected Charles Darwin and Florance Nightingale were sufferers too.

As for Derren Brown the thought had crossed my mind a few times whilst watching him perform...

Why are there no positive celebrity role models for sufferers of OCD? The depression sufferers have got Stephen Fry. What about us?

Personally I would not wish OCD on anyone, famous or not famous. Let's be honest, how many of us have hidden our OCD from strangers, work colleagues, even our own family? Most if not all of us, so it is no surprise that very few celebs have spoken about their OCD, if they have it, can't blame them for that.

Guest duracellbunny

hi

derren brown does have ocd - i think there is a topic on the forum about - it was quite a while ago - so i dont know if it is still on, but he 100 % has ocd . i saw him on tour and someone off this forum has too - they were pulled up on stage and derren walked up to him and whispered ''i know you have ocd'' - well the person went up to derrens manager after the show and asked him and his manager says ''yes he does have ocd''

well anyway ...sorry to waffle - know ing this i sent him an email asking if he would like to come and help us overcome our ocd as he had it himself, and in the email - which was lovely - he did admit to having it and wrote loads of lovely stuff on it

do a search on this site hunny and i think there is a copy of the email he sent .

i know about his ticks too- he nods violently doesnt he - i was sat on the front row watching him from the side - i do really really like him - wanted to go up on satge and hug him

he was really bullied at school wasnt he - he says thats when his ocd started .

i used to really fancy him :blushing: - as he come out as gay now - wasnt sure if he had or was - not that it matters.

when i saw him , his sense of humour and comedy is as brilliant as his ''tricks'' isnt it - i love it when he gets passionate about his pet parrott :a1_cheesygrin:

sorry i am a bit of a derren geek

if you do a search hunny on brown there are 10 pages of it and i think you will find the main one on page 9 . i would bump the thread up for you to find - but were not allowed to thread bump so i dare not do it sorry - but search on it to find his email.

Edited by duracellbunny
Guest Lilliputtian

If you click on the search thingy at the bottom of the screen it just says that an error has occurred. I'll never get to see it now.

Guest Lilliputtian

I worked out how to do a search and I found it. So Derren Brown said to the guy he called up onstage,"I know you have OCD." Didn't the guy find that a bit disconcerting?

See, it takes one to know one.

Paul worked on a film called "Medium Rare" with him, which I still don't think has been on TV even though it was made a couple of years back. Derren was the waiter and Paul was a hoodlum. He nods violently when he is talking to people. Paul isn't very mature (not mature at all more like) and he kept mimicking Derren behind his back. One day Derren came up to Paul and his bunch of cronies, and said,"It's come to my attention.....that one of you lot......" and you can imagine Paul just blanched because he thought Derren was going to say,"Has been taking the p*** out of me," but he didn't, he said something else.

He said in a magazine that he was gay.

Were there 10 pages of stuff on Derren Brown? Didn't notice that.

Guest cat1

Steven fry actually has cyclothymia,a form of mild bipolar.I think hes great though,as i have had mood swings in the past.

Guest cat1

derren brown is gay?? well i'll be a monkeys uncle!

I worked out how to do a search and I found it. So Derren Brown said to the guy he called up onstage,"I know you have OCD." Didn't the guy find that a bit disconcerting?

See, it takes one to know one.

Paul worked on a film called "Medium Rare" with him, which I still don't think has been on TV even though it was made a couple of years back. Derren was the waiter and Paul was a hoodlum. He nods violently when he is talking to people. Paul isn't very mature (not mature at all more like) and he kept mimicking Derren behind his back. One day Derren came up to Paul and his bunch of cronies, and said,"It's come to my attention.....that one of you lot......" and you can imagine Paul just blanched because he thought Derren was going to say,"Has been taking the p*** out of me," but he didn't, he said something else.

He said in a magazine that he was gay.

Were there 10 pages of stuff on Derren Brown? Didn't notice that.

Guest -Nizz-

If OCD is as popular as I've heard it to be, then there's bound to be a handful of celebrities out there suffering from it too.

Guest cat1

:lol:

If OCD is as popular as I've heard it to be, then there's bound to be a handful of celebrities out there suffering from it too.
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic but Zach Braff has OCD. It's not mentioned much but I think he counts as a possitive role model!

Guest Anon3490

You know the difference between you average OCD sufferer and a celebrity OCD sufferer? They naturally get their way no one is gonna argue with them on how clean stuff is or how to order things in their hotel rooms... They won't give them those looks they give you. Because if you are rich and famous you can afford yourself to be 'weird'. So finding a positive role model amongst them might prove to be pretty hard. I don't say there isn't I just wouldn't bother.

Guest Zuzu

Maybe, but, I'm glad for any celebrity who is "out" with regard to their OCD. I think it can only make the rest of the world more understanding and accepting of the condition.

And, I don't know, maybe people don't give them those looks, but I can't imagine how difficult it would be to have my condition so publicly known.

Guest -Nizz-

I know this is an old topic but Zach Braff has OCD. It's not mentioned much but I think he counts as a possitive role model!

Ooh my, that's interesting :O :).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest pinkdolly12

Michael Jackson, Cameron Diaz, Penelope Cruz, David Beckham, Jessica Alba, Donald Trump, Leonardo DiCamprio, Michael Angelo, Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin and Charlie Sheen apparently all have OCD

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd have my doubts about most celebs who say they have OCD. If they do have it it must be very very mild. I know myself that I would never be able handle the pressure they would be under in my current state.

Guest SuffolkSarah

The comedian Jon Richardson has OCD. He uses a lot of his experience in his stand up material, very funny and he come across well. I have OCD and I found it really good comedy.

I'd have my doubts about most celebs who say they have OCD. If they do have it it must be very very mild. I know myself that I would never be able handle the pressure they would be under in my current state.

I'd tend to agree with you, Troy. I know we don't see them in their homes or in private and it could be that they struggle at home but can act OK outside. But they never seem to mention any degree of anxiety and do seem to be high achievers.

Suffolk Sarah. I would be interesrted to see the chap you mentioned. We went to the Edinburgh Festival last year and there was a female 'comedian' whose act was totally about OCD. It was very trite and just used old cliched stuff about OCD. It was so funny that my hubby went to sleep!!

Guest SuffolkSarah

Hi Whitebeam,

The comedian you speak of sounds awful! i remember I saw Jon Richardson's routine on tv and it was really good. He was talking about his days at Uni and how the OCD meant that he found it a very different experience from his friends. He gave examples of situations and it was really funny because it was not over the top and I could see myself doing and thinking the same things!

He was on Have I Got News For You and when they introduced him they made some gag about him having OCD, which wasn't so nice, but he doesn't go out of his way to talk about it. It is mentioned in his comedy and his approach to things because of OCD can be amusing, but OCD is not his whole routine.

There is bound to be something on Youtube.

• 5 months later...