Positive Celebrity Role Models

Guest Lilliputtian

I know many celebrities have OCD, but there are also many of them claiming to have OCD when they really have no idea of the illness. In fact, they don't even know it's an illness. Typical of that is a comment made by Kate Perry, who stated: "I certainly have OCD when I'm on tour. If there's broken make-up in my purse I freak out. But my worst one is if I see a pair of sunglasses with fingerprints on them. Truly, I cannot stand it."

Selective OCD? It happens when she's on tour, and fingerprints on sunglasses must traumatise her to a point that makes my OCD seem comparatively insignificant. The trouble with celebrities is that whilst the genuine ones could be become great ambassadors, those trivialising it, because it could be fashionable, could do greater damage. Trying to educate people about OCD is already difficult enough without the likes of Ms Perry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fruit_Ninja

Derren Brown's tic developed because he used to use a subtle 'nod' to encourange people to agree with him, subconsiously. My brother saw it on a documentary or something