Emetophobia

Guest shazza1970

Guest shazza1970

:huh:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and have suffered from mild ocd and emetophbia since i was a child.

I've only really faced up to this recently as it has been made worse since having my children.

My main problem is emetophobia and all my anxiety is based around this, ever since my little girl caught her first tummy bug i have been obssessed with it, not a day goes by without me thinking about it, i want to discuss it with my husband but dont know where to start. He knows i have a problem with sick but doesn't know how bad.

I dont want my fear to start affecting my children as i start to panic now if i have to take them to places where i know they might catch something.

I'm dreading playschool starting next week as i know there is a bug doing the rounds..

I feel really silly and just wondered if anyone else has children and how they deal with their fear.

Incidentaly, when my little girl is unwell, i deal with it as any mother would but i feel really anxious and i cant eat until she is better.

Love Sharon

Hi there Sharon

Welcome along from me :huh:

I understand the problems you're having. I suffer from emetophobia and OCD, too.

Although I'm not a mother myself - I do understand all the worries and fears you have surrounding this. At the moment my Grandma is in hospital - and obviously it's that time of year again when bugs and stuff are about and I get in such a panic before and after I go, it has been horrid.

I know there are one or two others on here who also suffer from this as well - there have been some other threads started on this.

Just to say, you're by no means alone in this - keep posting!

Take care

Queenie

x

all in the mind

The above link is to an audio item on emetphobia from Radio 4's all in the mind series (you'll need Real Player installed to listen to it). Maybe you could suggest to your husband that he listen to it, and it would help him gain an insight in how severe this problem can be.

Tom

Guest aurora

Though I'm not a mother (being only 17!!) I understand your fears. My phobia about other people and myself being ill controls the way I opperate in day to day situations much more than my OCD (at least it is much more upsetting and distressing) Quite a bit of my OCD is linked to this fear - though considering the nature of my phobia you'd think any contamination fears I have would be a lot more prominant.

If I know that someone feels really ill in a lesson I will not be able to concentrate at all, my whole attension is focused on how long until the lesson ends and numerous compulsions being acted out in my head - e.g. not being able to write any notes until someone says a particular word (often meaning I have to borrow notes afterwards) I feel so gripped with fear - if someone next to me feels ill I'm compelled to ask them if they're okay or suggest (quite firmly) that they ask to get out of the lesson.

Have you ever received conselling for your fears Sharon?

Aurora :lol:

Guest shazza1970

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I have had counselling, but it was more of a general nature rather than focusing on the emetophobia.

I wish i could find a counsellor that deals specifically in these areas.

sharon x

Guest lucybee

Hi there, I am exactly the same as you!! I have suffered from emetephobia and ocd for as long as I can remember, its hell, I have 2 children aged 3 and 10 months and the whole illness thing is a nightmare, I have cold sweats at night worrying that one of them will be sick - I am taking prozac at the moment and it is helping somewhat - a good website to go on to is emetonline.co.uk, feel free to mail me we may be able to help each other!! lucybee xxx

Hi there, I am exactly the same as you!! I have suffered from emetephobia and ocd for as long as I can remember, its hell, I have 2 children aged 3 and 10 months and the whole illness thing is a nightmare, I have cold sweats at night worrying that one of them will be sick - I am taking prozac at the moment and it is helping somewhat - a good website to go on to is emetonline.co.uk, feel free to mail me we may be able to help each other!! lucybee xxx

26365[/snapback]

Welcome to the Emetophobia club lucybee! :thumbup:

I need to find my old thread and bump it up I think...

Love Andrea

xx

Hi aurora,

I can't remember if you posted on my other threads or not, but are you also an Emetophobe?

Urgh, I just read that link you posted and it was good, but then I read Sarah's story - URGH how truly disgusting and awful!!!! :)

Guest aurora

Hey ocd13,

Yep unfortunately I'm most def a "Emetophobe". (see my post earlier in this thread)

I know - I read that story earlier and it made me feel all weird. Whereas reading about others with OCD is interesting and discussing my own issues useful, I think I'm gonna avoid reading about my phobia - it's much more upsetting and uncomfortable - most probably as I'm reading about the thing I'm scared about where as OCD is different (and prob less of an issue in my case)

With anything like this I guess it's nice to know you aren't the only one. Many people don't like others or themselves being ill but it's a bigger problem than you'd think when your actually terrified of it.

Aurora :)

Hey ocd13,

Yep unfortunately I'm most def a "Emetophobe". (see my post earlier in this thread)

I know - I read that story earlier and it made me feel all weird. Whereas reading about others with OCD is interesting and discussing my own issues useful, I think I'm gonna avoid reading about my phobia - it's much more upsetting and uncomfortable - most probably as I'm reading about the thing I'm scared about where as OCD is different (and prob less of an issue in my case)

With anything like this I guess it's nice to know you aren't the only one. Many people don't like others or themselves being ill but it's a bigger problem than you'd think when your actually terrified of it.

Aurora :wallbash:

26594[/snapback]

Hi again,

Yep I completely agree with you on this one! I can quite happily come onto the boards and not become terrified (although if I'm having OCD moments, this can be very stressful), but if I read about being sick, I start feeling sick!! So urgh, yep I feel bit weird too now - especially as my dinner wasn't all that great either.

Reading what Sarah went through and the pure agony she went through made me think about being in that situation (I think this is also where the OCD comes in - it forces me to think of situations I don't like), and I think I'd have rather died than gone through all of that!! :)

• 3 weeks later...