Obsessed

Guest lilyelspeth

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Matilda

Hi, has anyone been watching this? I watched last night's but my boyfriend watched both this week's and last week's. He says it really helps him understand what it's like for people with OCD. I'd like to get my mum to watch it but I don't have sky+ or a video recorder and I don't think she'd come round at 10pm to watch!

Hi, has anyone been watching this? I watched last night's but my boyfriend watched both this week's and last week's. He says it really helps him understand what it's like for people with OCD. I'd like to get my mum to watch it but I don't have sky+ or a video recorder and I don't think she'd come round at 10pm to watch!

I agree Matilda, I think its a really useful programme for family and friends to watch. It gives a real insight into the terrible anxiety OCD provokes. I have posted about it in the family and friends forum. Its particularly useful for those relatives who think its just a case of "pulling yourself together"!

Carol

i watched this weeks episode and have it on series link now for the rest, Its channel 242 for virgin media customers.

I must say it was a very good episode and like Matilda said, i also told my mum i wanted her to see it.

Worth watching if you havent already

(It was very moving, I was almost in tears at some parts)

K

Guest Gettingbetter

I have only just seen your post and at the moment there is a series on the Biography channel called Obssessed it airs on a Tuesday night at 10pm.

Guest Matilda

Hi, did anyone watch this last night? I found some parts quite distressing but both people made progress so that's good. I wish they would show something like this on terrestrial TV to raise awareness.

I watched this, as I have the other episodes too. I just wish more family and friends could watch it, especially those who think sufferers can just "pull themselves together".

I thought the lady did fantastically and it has obviously changed their lives for the better. I also thought it was very interesting that the man thought his progress was much better than the therapist thought it was. He seemed to think once he got his working out down to 4 or 5 times a day, he didnt have to reduce it further, thereby being able to continue with his plan and keep as fit as possible and live until there was a "cure" for death. He even said himself he wanted to be fitter than anyone else so that if there was an earthquake or something he could run away the fastest. I dont think his wife thought he had made a huge improvement either.

I think the difference between them was that the lady really wanted to completely change her life and save her marriage. Her husband said they were very close to splitting up. The man on the other hand resisted right from the start and disagreed with the therapist as to what was an acceptable level of exercise. I felt he wanted to go into therapy, but on his terms and only to push himself as far as he was comfortable with. A follow up on him would be interesting.

Guest Matilda

I watched this, as I have the other episodes too. I just wish more family and friends could watch it, especially those who think sufferers can just "pull themselves together".

I thought the lady did fantastically and it has obviously changed their lives for the better. I also thought it was very interesting that the man thought his progress was much better than the therapist thought it was. He seemed to think once he got his working out down to 4 or 5 times a day, he didnt have to reduce it further, thereby being able to continue with his plan and keep as fit as possible and live until there was a "cure" for death. He even said himself he wanted to be fitter than anyone else so that if there was an earthquake or something he could run away the fastest. I dont think his wife thought he had made a huge improvement either.

I think the difference between them was that the lady really wanted to completely change her life and save her marriage. Her husband said they were very close to splitting up. The man on the other hand resisted right from the start and disagreed with the therapist as to what was an acceptable level of exercise. I felt he wanted to go into therapy, but on his terms and only to push himself as far as he was comfortable with. A follow up on him would be interesting.

I wondered whether the reason the man didn't respond well is because he didn't find it easy to see that his behaviour was irrational. I read somewhere that people who don't see their behaviour as irrational are less responsive to treatment. I don't know if anyone knows this to be the case?? I have some behaviours that I see as completely irrational but I have reasons to perform others so I worry that I will resist treatment to an extent (I haven't had any treatment yet).

Matilda, I think you will be absolutely fine when you start your treatment. Afterall the lady who spent so long in the shower doing unspeakable things to herself, saw her rituals as totally logical and look how much better she was by the end of the programme.

Good luck!

Carol x

Annoyingly, I don't have sky. But judging by what you've all said, it's alot better than any other ****, misleading documentary. Something like this should be more accessable and advertised more so people less in the know can be educated about the condition properly. Does anyone know if it can be watched online?

I have the whole series on my sky+ so I just have to get my wonderful son to figure out how to transfer them to disc and I dont mind letting you have them.

I also think they are really useful to show anyone who is finding it difficult to grasp just how powerful OCD is. Be warned though there are a couple of failures as Matilda and I discussed, but I think you will be able to see why they failed.

Guest Charlotte

Oooh, I'd love a copy if possible. I'd send you the discs and a stamped adressed envelope!

I think that it's good that there's failures in the series, they're keeping it real.