I dont know what to ask!?

Guest katz

Ive been ill now for 4/5 years and maybe longer!! and I do worry what it has done and doing to my body, and I do have points when I wish I could just switch off, just long enough to feel Ive had a rest :helpsmilie:

Has anyone tried meditation? and has its worked for you? could you give me some pointers, cos I think Im going to go down that road.

Thanks for reading my message.

Katz x

Guest markysharky

Hiya

What little I know of CBT (still a youngster when it comes to this technique), it seems to have similar traits to that of buddhism. Not so much as the concept of thinking of nothing... as we all know, with our heads, the harder we try to not think of anything, the more it permeates our mind, causing us all kinds of distress. With meditation, and in particular buddhism, it is about recognising the thoughts that come into your head. Seeing it. Acknowledging it. Watching it "walk away." And moving onto the next thought. *Repeat process.

Ultimately giving each thought less space and time in your mind. With time, the thoughts beging to slow down and diminish, eventually, IDEALLY, leaving the mind calm and blank. You find yourself in a hypnotic state. When you come round you feel as thought you've been asleep. Just remember though, this is a muscle. Like going to the gym, it's a process. Something you have to teach your brain. Something that requires discipline. I have gone through various stages in my life being quite disciplined about it, and look back and see my mind in quieter times. I think it works. I also think it works as long as you do it all the time. Everyday. It's kind of - dare I say it - ritualistic. But it's a positive habit to form. Hmm... maybe it's time to develop my discipline again. Cheers for the timely reminder :a1_cheesygrin:

M x

This is what I do :)

Relax your body bit by bit, if you do it right at the end you'll feel like you're floating.

Tense and stretch every muscle in your body one at a time and hold it for about 10 seconds.

I lie flat on my back in bed. I usually go like this, after emptying my lungs a few times :

1. Point my toes and try and get them to touch the floor.

2. Push my heels into the bed stretching my calves.

3. Try to push my knees into the matress.

4. Tense my stomach muscles.

5. Hunch my shoulders up to my neck.

6. Try to stretch my arms down to my toes without lifting them up.

7. Clench my hands into fists.

8. Screw up my eyes.

9. Screw up my mouth.

10. Screw up my whole face.

After each one relax very slowly. And try to think of absolutely nothing, I know it's hard haha but try.

I go to karate and we do it occasionally, it's great :D

Hope that helps

xxx

Guest newfies2
Hi Katz

I have tried meditation numerous times over the years. However, I don't know why, but I just can't do it! My mind is never blank and I become increasingly anxious that I am not thinking about "nothing" until I reach the stage that my brain is in overdrive. Defeats the purpose doesn't it :lol: I do really think that it's something which could be very helpful with anxiety disorders though so it's certainly worth giving it a go.

Hope you find it beneficial

Lawrie

xxxx

Lawrie pretty much described what I go through, glad to hear I am not the only one. There is something called progressive relaxation that I have had some success with, it is fairly easy to do and I don't know if it helped with my OCD, but it helped with my panic attacks.

Guest katz
This is what I do :)

Relax your body bit by bit, if you do it right at the end you'll feel like you're floating.

Tense and stretch every muscle in your body one at a time and hold it for about 10 seconds.

I lie flat on my back in bed. I usually go like this, after emptying my lungs a few times :

1. Point my toes and try and get them to touch the floor.

2. Push my heels into the bed stretching my calves.

3. Try to push my knees into the matress.

4. Tense my stomach muscles.

5. Hunch my shoulders up to my neck.

6. Try to stretch my arms down to my toes without lifting them up.

7. Clench my hands into fists.

8. Screw up my eyes.

9. Screw up my mouth.

10. Screw up my whole face.

After each one relax very slowly. And try to think of absolutely nothing, I know it's hard haha but try.

I go to karate and we do it occasionally, it's great :D

Hope that helps

xxx

Hi Lucy,

Thanks for sending me this, I will give it a try. I do go for this relax/safe place thing once every two weeks and oh boy it works :a1_cheesygrin: so thanks again, I wish it didnt take me an hour just to write one line! :lol: I need to learn how to use this site!

Thanks again

Katz xx

Guest Unknowngirl44

I joined a buddhist meditation class and found their meditation techniques/philosophies on life extremely helpful. Unfortunately, and ironically for me, one of my main fears involves being in rooms with people I dont know, but they were so kind and helpful and what I could take away from the classes I could do at home, as well as in their classes (in my 'special seat'' by the exit (lol)! Seriously tho, find a local buuddhist class and go to a drop in meditation session. Works wonders for getting ur mind to a peaceful place :original:

Edited by Guest
Guest Faith

Hi there!

I try and do Yoga whenever possible, even if I'm still haivng the thoughts, the natural endorphins that carry on after the class has finished seems to give me some form of temporary relief . . . and I can now touch my toes :a1_cheesygrin:

Katz, ha ha, you're worse than me. Try reiki. Although I'm reiki attuned, I don't have the patience. Meditation, no no, cannot concentrate long enough, mind starts to wonder and analyse my thoughts.

Hey I would recommend Jon Kabat Zinn;he is the founder of mindfulness meditation; check him on u tube or u can get his cds on amazon. my therapist gets me to practice Mindfulness each day

I also started yoga which is very relaxing!"

Hey!

Mindfulness involves living in the here and now;like the oasis album;'Be Here Now'!

You meditate and focus on your breath, your body, sounds, thoughts and on absolutely nothing. You just try and sit and focus on the now and let thoughts come and go 'like waves on the sea', u are aware of them and accept them but don't take them personally.

You try and live right here in this moment.

I went to see Jon Kabat Zinn talk in Dublin a few weeks ago and he was brill.

The Yoga is very good too; you focus on the breath and relaxation as u do your yoga poses!

It seems to me a real focus for reducing anxiety and coping with ocd is breathing and getting into your breath and your body;ie moving back from the spiralling thoughts;does this make sense?

Guest Charlotte

I'm working really hard on meditating and just calming myself down.

I find that it doesn't really get rid of any of the OCDness, but it helps with the general anxiety that I have all the time... you know, that free floating sick feeling.