pure o

Guest summer1

Guest summer1

what is pure o? and other types of ocd. i've had ocd for 6 years now but not known that there are stages/groups? please can people explain them to me

thanks in advance

:blushing:

Guest becca

there are diffdrent types of OCD depending on what yuo are OCD abouot,

I have perfectionisum ocd which is where i am obsessed with makeing others happy and also set my expectations for myself far 2 high and beat myself up if i make a mistake,

I also have pure o which is where i have ocd thoughts but no compultions to do anything i just cant stop thinking abt certain things,

what are you ocd about?

Guest summer1
there are diffdrent types of OCD depending on what yuo are OCD abouot,

I have perfectionisum ocd which is where i am obsessed with makeing others happy and also set my expectations for myself far 2 high and beat myself up if i make a mistake,

I also have pure o which is where i have ocd thoughts but no compultions to do anything i just cant stop thinking abt certain things,

what are you ocd about?

after reading your post i gave out a huge sigh of relief. thank you very much for your post. i am a newbie on here and find it really hard to explain my ocd . i've it for 6 years but have only recently really really tried to understand and fight it. It began to ruin my life so had to do something.

I am also a perfectionist, and obsessed with making others happy. I set my expectations so high i'm aways being knocked back.

i also have thoughts but no compultions to do anything.

thanks again for your post i've never looked at it that simply

Guest markysharky

You girls are not alone.

I also strive for perfection to a fault. I seek perfection where there is none to be found. For example in a relationship. Constantly trying to "tweak" "fix" "solve things that I believe to be issues. Overtalking things out in a vain attempt to perfect my relationship. I beat myself up and treat those around me poorly. Then the guilt sets in, so I then beat myself up for being an imperfect partner... the spiral continues. Anxiety. Panic. Genuine physical pain. It just gets too much at times. A few compulsions to keep things weird, but mostly I am Pure O.

Fight the good fight! :shuriken:

Guest legend

Ocd, is ,ocd, whatever the flavour, and it should be treat with cbt, with or without meds.

Pure, is slightly different, the compulsions are normally carried out internally, rumination is one, continually looking for answers to an irrational thought, to try and rid yourself of the anxiety.

legend

Guest legend
after reading your post i gave out a huge sigh of relief. thank you very much for your post. i am a newbie on here and find it really hard to explain my ocd . i've it for 6 years but have only recently really really tried to understand and fight it. It began to ruin my life so had to do something.

I am also a perfectionist, and obsessed with making others happy. I set my expectations so high i'm aways being knocked back.

i also have thoughts but no compultions to do anything.

thanks again for your post i've never looked at it that simply

hi summer, have you had any cbt for your ocd ?

its also important to learn as much as you can, about ocd, knowledge is a very powerful tool.

at the top of the screen, youll find some good links, helpful threads, and of course, the four steps.

the four steps, help you to deal with the unwanted intrusive thoughts.

legend

what is pure o? and other types of ocd. i've had ocd for 6 years now but not known that there are stages/groups?

You will see people on forums like this refer to different groups like Pure O, but I don't think it will help a great deal in terms of treating your OCD to refer to it as a subtype. Nearly all forms of OCD are treated exactly the same Summer, other than perhaps the exercises being different. Pure O is actually incorrect anyway because many users will say they have Pure O because they don't have any compulsions, just obsessive thoughts, hence Pure O. But in reality they do have compulsions, just internal mental ones, so Pure O is not a precise term for what most sufferers refer to.

Bottom line, don't get drawn into categorising your OCD because the end game is you have to ride the obsessional thoughts and anxiety out, whatever form of OCD it may be. I hope that helps, Ashley.

Guest markysharky
You will see people on forums like this refer to different groups like Pure O, but I don't think it will help a great deal in terms of treating your OCD to refer to it as a subtype. Nearly all forms of OCD are treated exactly the same Summer, other than perhaps the exercises being different. Pure O is actually incorrect anyway because many users will say they have Pure O because they don't have any compulsions, just obsessive thoughts, hence Pure O. But in reality they do have compulsions, just internal mental ones, so Pure O is not a precise term for what most sufferers refer to.

Bottom line, don't get drawn into categorising your OCD because the end game is you have to ride the obsessional thoughts and anxiety out, whatever form of OCD it may be. I hope that helps, Ashley.

I agree, those with "Pure O" are in fact dealing with compulsions based on a more internal nature. Rather than a comparitive obvious external based ritualistic type of compulsive behaviour. The question, however, was asked "What is Pure O?" Those of us who feel that we relate more to this "form" of OCD, have given information based on that.

Regardless of whether or not Pure O is as you "incorrect" I don't think is really the point. We were answering the question posed

:original:

Guest Balloon
what is pure o? and other types of ocd. i've had ocd for 6 years now but not known that there are stages/groups? please can people explain them to me

thanks in advance

:blushing:

Hello Summer1 and :welcome: to the forums.

Hopefully you will find lost of useful info and support on here :yes:

Some people describe OCD in terms of different 'types' or 'flavours', eg. checking, contamination, pure O etc..

Personally, I don't think it matters what you call it - it is OCD.

Some people's OCD will change over time with regards to what 'flavours' are more prominent, but there is no set 'pattern' - everybody's OCD takes an individual course, although we have common symptoms.

Also, it appears for most that things wax and wane - go up and down - have good times and not so good times.

One 'type' of OCD is no worse or better or nicer or easier than another.

At conference, I recall that we were split up in to 4 main 'groups' for exercises. They were:

- Checkers

- Contaminators

- Ruminators (Pure Os)

- Hoarders

I'm not sure if this is a defined or extensive list, or whether it was just for ease :blushing:

I would guess that terms you may hear such as paedophilia OCD, relationship OCD etc. could fall in to these categories - perhaps checking your partner still loves you, ruminating about behaving inappropriately around children etc.

It would be possible too to have several different flavours on the go at the same time - in my case Neopolitan ice cream!

At the end of the day, OCD is OCD, and the same treatment approaches will work for all varieties.

OCD is characterised, as you probably know, by obsessions and compulsions, whatever form they take.

With regards to Pure O, this is a term that I personally don't like, as I think Pure O sufferers do also have compulsions - just that they are internal, intrinsic, mental, rather than an observable, external action.

What flavour of OCD do you have (if you don't mind me asking).

Whatever it is, there is probably somebody here with similar, but, we can all help apply the management techniques whether we have suffered with that particular variety or not.

Hope my ramble helps!

Look forward to chatting soon.

Bally

We were answering the question posed

As was I Marky, I was describing what it more importantly suggesting Summer not get hung up on the terms of different 'flavours of OCD', be it Pure O, POCD, ROCD or HOCD, all of them have no medical meaning at all, most therpists will not know what they are and even if being accepted by our community do nothing but lead to confusion because they can have different meanings to different people.

I could just asnwer the question posed (which I did if you re-read my post), but my job is educate, inform and empower and I hope by expanding on the initial question I have done that for some people.

Guest legend
I agree, those with "Pure O" are in fact dealing with compulsions based on a more internal nature. Rather than a comparitive obvious external based ritualistic type of compulsive behaviour. The question, however, was asked "What is Pure O?" Those of us who feel that we relate more to this "form" of OCD, have given information based on that.

Regardless of whether or not Pure O is as you "incorrect" I don't think is really the point. We were answering the question posed

:original:

theres a link on the ocduk hompage... pure o, that gives a good description of ocd, in its internal base

Guest summer1
hi summer, have you had any cbt for your ocd ?

its also important to learn as much as you can, about ocd, knowledge is a very powerful tool.

at the top of the screen, youll find some good links, helpful threads, and of course, the four steps.

the four steps, help you to deal with the unwanted intrusive thoughts.

legend

hello legend, thank you for your reply. there is little/limited help available to me. i've recently been put back on meds but got started to reduce them yesterday, which is great. i don't understand cbt??

i will check out the 4 steps though thank you. i get unwanted thoughts frequently although not disturbing, they are annoying and frustrating.

summer1x

Guest legend

hi summmer, cbt........cognitive behavioural therapy, is the way that ocd is treated, it teaches us how to

respond to thoughts, and retrains us, and exposure work is involved too, as we tend to avoid our fears.

your gp and or pysch, has a duty to refer you for cbt under the govt nice guidlines, as this is the recommended

treatment for ocd.

heres link....http://www.ocduk.org/1/nice.htm

legend.

there is a cbt link at top of page

Edited by Guest
Guest becca

hi.

most drs or health care perfetionals can refer you to cbt but if you cant get cbt as it can be difficult to get quicley, you could ask about rebt which is very simaler but is much more readly avlible from what i ahev found as is good as a short term solution until you can get cbt