intrusive thoughts

Guest polly

Guest polly

Hi to all, new here and to computing not sure if i am doing this right, but anyway will introduce myself. I have suffered with intrusive thoughts for many many years, i have had 2 serious nervous breakdowns in the last 10 years and admitted to hospital twice in that time. I have had ocd since teens and am now middle aged. I have taken quite a number of anti- depressants, tranquilizers etc. and even had electric shock treatment for this terrible debilitating condition. But for my wonderful husband and family i dont know what would have become of me. I am glad ive found this website just reading other peoples messages makes me feel that i am not alone. I used to think i was the only person with this. If anyone would like to chat please feel free, if i can help in anyway i most certainly will try.

Best Wishes to You All

x x x Pauline from Lancashire.

Guest scotty

Hi Polly welcome to the site. I guess i had a breakdown too and was admitted to hospital last summer it was a good thing in a way because i am finally geting the help ive needed for quite some time. I get intrusive thoughts too can you tell me what medications and other things that have helped you to cope with them?

Thanks Scotty

Guest cilla930

hello pauline ,cillahere :-D

i too am a fellow sufferer with intrusive thoughts, the harmful kind mainly,and like you have had this for 14 yrs,only until recently did my therapist think it time to tell me that it was ocd as well as depression.

it can feel so lonely sometimes with this illness ,thats wot makes this site so wonderful.

there r many ppl here who understands and never judges :lol: so like you said if there is anything i can help you with im glad to help.

from a ocd friend cillaxxxx

Guest scotty

Hi Cilla, Im doing ok thanks slowly coming off the old medication and eagerly waiting to get on the new stuff it wont be for 3 more weeks yet though. Hope your doing ok take care Scotty.

Guest cilla930

hi scotty so pleased ur doing well, hang in there im sure it,ll be worth it .

and just in case it does get worse as ur coming off the meds ready to change to a new 1, keep in mind its only a monor hitch and once on new meds it will improve again.

thinking good thoughts for u.

from ur ocd friend

cillaxxxxx

Guest justme

Hi Polly,

nice to see you have found the board.I have suffered too from intrusive thoughts for many years plus also have been in hospitial twice.I was in remission until Jan 04 when I had a BAD episode of OCD ( I was in remission for 10 years but the OCD was always in the background waiting to come back).Decided to face my OCD over two weeks ago and have not done any rituals since then.OK I still get the intrusive thoughts but the power of them has faded over the two weeks and I find I do not hang on too them.Also my fear of being contaminated has also diminished,its still there but is getting less.Also I have some other issues to face but I reckon I am 100% better then I was in Jan.The reason I am telling you this is that they is hope for you and you can have a OCD free life.Its hard,painful and not easy fighting OCD,but is worth it.Have you tryed CBT.

Peter

Guest Dogga

hi polly and scotty! me's new here too polly. someone asked about treatment, I take 25mg of anafranil/clomipramine 3 times a day. this is a low dose and will probably be put up a little in a few weeks until my obsessions fizzle out, then i stop taking it while i am ok since the side-effects frustrate me. Clomipramine is a tricyclic antidepressant and it does seem to work with obsessions and phobias in a lot of people, only thing is, it takes about 2-3 or more weeks to work because of the nature of the drug. In my experience, it usually takes a few weeks and then i wake up and realize after a while the thoughts have gone :( I know some people take it 24-7 for severe OCD, i tend to just use it to break the cycle and once thats done, live drug free until the next bout comes.

Hope this helps. peace.

-d

Hi Pauline,

Just thought I'd say hi and welcome :( . I'm glad to hear that reading others' messages has been helpful. It really does help, doesn't it to meet others with similar difficulties? As you say, it feels that you're less alone.

You seem to have had a very rough ride over the years with your OCD, but lets hope things will improve for you.

But for my wonderful husband and family i dont know what would have become of me

I've been tremendously lucky in having a wonderfully supportive husband too - and family, though because of distance they've not been quite so closely involved, which has put a huge pressure on Tony - but he just carries on helping :) .

I've also been very lucky with my GP, psychologist and psychiatrist who have all been really good to me over the past three years and seem to have pulled out all the stops to help me.

Anyway, nice to 'meet' you and look forward to getting to know you.

Take care

whitebeam

Guest polly

Hi everyone and hi to justme, dogga and whitebeam, cilla and scotty who have recently sent me messages. I am really grateful for all your support infact i am overwhelmed, thank you. I will try to reply to all as soon as i can. Having read your posts I have started wondering if I have not had all the help there is out there. Not seen a Doctor or anybody for 9 years now. Maybe its because at that time things where not as advanced? (Drugs etc I am not really sure) Anyway all you guys are great and I am glad to know you are all here.... Thanks a million!!!!