Pure O Compulsions

Guest napo100383

Guest napo100383

Hey all,

I suffer pure o thoughts as ye all know.I was washing my hands today(after touching coal) and thought what if i become obsessed with washing my hands.I had no desire to do it again but thought what if i become obsessed.Does this make sense.

Then I thought what if i become obsessed with checking but didnt bither checking anythin i had done.I guess im worried incase i develop compulsions now cos i personally think that compulsions (Checking) is worse than pure o.(No offence to any pure o's) I think at least with pure o its not as draining physically.

Hope i haven confused ye think i have confused myself.

Also I think this could be the meds kicking in cos my suicide obsession is going down so while i am still OCDish im not fully OCD so my OCD caught on to something that doesnt really bother me trying to make it bother me

P.S thanks to all those who have helped me since i joined this board i really appreciate it!

Guest Dennis912

Hey napo,

Wow reading your post I think I feel the opposite, I suffer from pure o and very

slight on the compulsive side, just stuiped bedtime things that really I never give

a thought to..My thoughts are very - angry, violent, sexual - they kill me mentally..

I'm glad you have found some kind of peace here - I have too

I'm sure your pure o's have found another way to get you upset..

Have you ever read THE IMP OF THE MIND great book, it should

be known as the pure o's bible..

Guest napo100383

no haven read it,,

I guess with my puro thoughts i know i wouldnt act on them and while they are awful they dont stop me from doing things it seems from readin other ppls posts that they cant do certain things cos of compulsions,,,

Guest Luna_Lovegood
Wow reading your post I think I feel the opposite, I suffer from pure o and very

slight on the compulsive side

Same here. And personally i think Pure-O is far way harder to be overcomed than the compulsions.

they cant do certain things cos of compulsions

Exactly. Both my obsessions and compulsions make me can't do lots of things. It's like that i can only do certain things at a certain situation and when the certain situation doesn't come i absolutely can't do those certain things. This makes me waste too much times and i feel like a ****. (I guess no one can get what I mean)

Guest Dreamer

im sorry, but i think people do compulsions even when they have pure o. what is pure o anyway. when i read about it my books told me that it was when ocd people suffer from tormenting thoughts (hurting somone, child abuse, religious thought ect ect).

ive suffered these all my life. i have always had a compulsion though. when i had religious obessions i had to do certain rituals (run up and down the stairs, touch the floor, in fact my ocd once told me to put rubbish in my mouth-all because if i didnt do it god would do somthing bad to me coz it proved i didnt care for him. i got over this by walking away from the ritual. it took years but worked, dspite the anxiety. i proved if i didnt do my ritual nothing bad would happen.

however, my obessions turned to sexual ones and then eveything became just a mental obession. i still did a compulsion though, yet it was mental. i would ruminate for days and days until i realised and reassured myself that my thoughts were ocd and not me. although i didnt do any outside rituals i was doing them inside my head. when you have a pure obession what ever you do to neutralise your anxiety is a compulsion even if its in your head or outside.

personnaly i found the mental compulsions more draining then any outside rituals, coz i couldnt walk away from my own head like i could from the stairs or the sink. also at the moment im so worried what people think of me, that ive told my problem, its another thng to ruminate on (and its not working at te moment).

id rather go back to my outside ritual as ive found mental compulsions increase your inside feelings coz your so into your self, that it makes the ocd more realistic. and i worry people wouldnt understand pure o because outside rirauls are more well known and that adds another worry to pure os.

but everyones different and im trying to learn this and hopefully i can realise were all sharing this hell whatever are ocd is.

dreamer x.

I suffer pure o thoughts as ye all know.I was washing my hands today(after touching coal) and thought what if i become obsessed with washing my hands.I had no desire to do it again but thought what if i become obsessed.Does this make sense.

I've had this obsession too. I do suffer from slight contamination ocd, but I've never had to wash lots of times to the point that it's overtaken my life, but yes lately, I've wondered if I will develop it at some point in the future...

Then I thought what if i become obsessed with checking but didnt bither checking anythin i had done.I guess im worried incase i develop compulsions now cos i personally think that compulsions (Checking) is worse than pure o.(No offence to any pure o's) I think at least with pure o its not as draining physically.

Hmmm, not sure I agree with this so much (personal opinion only!). I suffer from obsessions and ruminating, which is the most debilitating part of my illness but I also suffer from compulsions as well - especially checking, repeating, counting, etc etc. You're right in that these compulsions can be draining physically and they can make me feel frustrated and irritable, but I don't think they're anywhere near as bad as my obsessional thoughts. Not necessarily because of the content of my thoughts (although there is that aspect as well), but because my obsessive thinking can be SO EXTREMELY draining mentally and this can physically make your body feel exhausted as well, so in a way, it can be twice as draining.

personnaly i found the mental compulsions more draining then any outside rituals, coz i couldnt walk away from  my own head like i could from the stairs or the sin.

Yes I agree with this too Dreamer!! It's like sometimes you 'can' force yourself away from the compulsions (or at least be satisfied once the routine is carried out), but with mental ruminating, you can't escape your own mind! Besides that, I personally think that compulsions come from the obsessive thinking anyway because you will usually find that compulsions are carried out to help ward off a fear or similar and where are fears created? Yes, in our minds.

I think the thing is Napo, that you begin to wonder what else is in the OCD can of worms that is going to happen to me....what if, what if, what if.

I too am largely of the Pure 'O' flavour, without compulsions, mentally or otherwise and I think it is a very difficult thing to deal with. I have had some checking issues which I find have been easier to deal with, they're more tangible, I just refuse to do it usually and then the angst fades and pretty quickly, it really is that first 15 minutes which is the hardest.

To All

I too have both types but pur o to a reater extent and if I had to shoose I would have to take the compulsions!!

Although I would like too be free!!

Saffa

Guest Parallel

I have pure-o and yes we do have compulsions, but they don't take the physical form. So with me, I have the gay fears ocd and whenever I get a spike of anxiety, my compulsion would be to double check...hence reassure myself, analyze the person or situation, and create images to counter the intrusive ones.

Guest napo100383

Its funny isnt it i agree caramoole it is the whole what if thing again,,i mean i had no desire to wash my hands and its kinda gone now i guess.I hate OCD so much why cant we be free from it.

Sometimes i look at posts on this forum from ppl who are older than me worrying about their OCD and i hate that im going to carry OCD with me for the rest of my life,,i know its getting better now but it will come again and again so i guess im worrying now what will my next obsession be.

Hi Napo,

It must be worrying for you, I know.

On the plus side for you, knowledge about OCD has changed a great deal in recent years.

I am one of those "older" ones :group: But it's only in recent years that I even knew that my fears had a name, a title. There were no books, or internet, or web sites.....you simply thought you were nuts :huh:

They used to say that OCD was untreatable, now we know that that isn't true. If I'd known what this disorder was when I first developed it, and had the knowledge available today, my own problems i think would have improved much more quickly.

Don't be too disheartened, it's not easy and there are no quick-fixes but you can learn to overcome this disorder and be in charge of it.

Things will improve if you can find the courage to put into practice the information you find. That's the key though, it's not enough to 'understand' it, you have to practice the advice and then you start to take control back.

Try not to be too frightened, you will improve :)

Guest napo100383

thaks very much, i guess it s just hard sometimes,,no offence about what i said but it annoys me that i'll always have to deal with this but i guess your right i have loads of help available and am lucky in that my family are amazing!

I intend to get over this disorder and i do indeed live a normal im in college and everything and am planning to go away on a trip this summer and the fact that my OCD mite come as an unwecome passenger is making me doubt going on the trip!

Guest Brainstrain
To All

I too have both types but pur o to a reater extent and if I had to shoose I would have to take the compulsions!!

Although I would like too be free!!

Saffa

27552[/snapback]

I definately agree with your point of view. It's like what someone else said, at least after maybe carrying out a ritual or compulsion you may feel some vague satisfaction but you never know how bad a thought is gonna make you feel and how long it is gonna keep you scared for. It would be good like napo to be able to say 'I knew I would never act on any of my thoughts' but it isn't that simple for all pure o people. However much I tell me that sometimes I still can't escape until it's ready to leave me alone again for a little while. You can't walk away from your mind.

brainstrain :(