Doubting

Guest rafafoo

Guest rafafoo

Well we are all here for the same reason, I was just wondering if anyone else gets this.

When you get intrusive thoughts etc like imagining spitting at someone in the street-does anyone else get it where you are not entirely sure whether you have acted on your intrusive thought or not?

I know its called the doubting disease but I wanted to make sure I'm not alone here.

In other news I got a referral for CBT from my doctor, however the doctor who gave me the referral didn't seem to know much about OCD she seemed to think it was all compulsions which I don't even have, but she still referred me for CBT which I am really thankful for...I think there should be an OCD awareness campaign, it seems like so many people suffer in silence with it-not even knowing what's wrong with them. I think we are probably just the lucky ones who have been diagnosed (self or otherwise) and are able to seek help and talk to people in the same boat.

Guest chippy

Yes people do suffer in silence - it's also called the silent illness.

I don't have pure O but i doubt myself all the time.

For example I'll check the cooker is off, start to walk away and then think, did I really check it? And go back again and again.

Guest *Star*

Yes I have the same problem, for example the other day I went into the toilet at work, started to get really anxious and when I left the toilets a thought popped into my head that I had stuck my hand into the sanitary towel bin, then I started to worry "did I really do it??" etc and it was tormenting me for days (the more you think about it the more real it becomes) now I have relabled it as OCD and moved on (should have just done that in the first place!) I have contamination OCD, especially around blood and toilets and have started to get these intrusive thoughts a lot, just got to keep relabling! its so hard though :(

Guest cat1

hi rafafoo,great name! yes,ive obsessed about thoughts ive had telling me ive felt something i know i havent or done something i know i havent.Its all ocd,and should be treated as such.youre not alone..

Edited by Guest

rafafoo, pls read goldilocksz's chain about writing a book on Pure O. I think it's a brilliant idea and I for one will be contributing to it. I hope a lot of people will, as it is our chance to get Pure O better known. I agree it is overshadowed by other forms of OCD. I had never heard of it until hubby found out, although I'd been a sufferer, and still am, for years.

Guest surveyor

Hi Rafafoo,

I also have the "doubting" issue as well. My fears mostly revolve around death and dying, and when walking in a street full of cars, my OCD goes full blast. If a car passes by near me really fast (such as when I am walking on the sidewalk), I get the feelings that I got hit. Then I keep on asking myself, "Did I really get hit by that car?" "Am I still alive?" "Surely, if I have been hit, then there would be blood everywhere, then why can't I see blood?". When with a friend, I usually ask him "hey, did I get hit by that car?" "How near was that car when it passed by me?", and would usually get funny stares in return. This anxiety and thoughts would then keep repeating itself over and over in my head for the next 2 or 3 hours or so, and sort of paralyzing me mentally. It is because of this anxiety that I have a hard time maintaining friends and even intimate relationships with other people. Imagine during a date, while walking down a street, a car passes... and I lose myself for the next few minutes or so... and my date stares surprised, wondering what is happening to the weirdo in front of her.

Edited by Guest
  • 10 years later...

Hello Guest rafafoo, Yes I have had the same problem regarding spitting. Its not just at people but things as well. The other day my sister in-law left my house after a visit. Although I voiced my concerns about me possibly spitting on her coat, my wife told me there was nothing wrong. Unfortunately if had began to rain when she left so her coat was getting a bit splattered. It made things worse. In my heart of hearts I know I would never do such a thing and my thoughts are just another OCD lie.

Sorry Closed, for your information I was searching for similar themes. This is one of the only times I have found someone with similar obsessions to my own. Yes it is 2009 and I hope this poor individual is now an ex-sufferer, I really do. Please be a bit more tolerant. I try not to ask for reassurance, only today I refused help from family members who thought they were doing me a favour trying to defuse a couple of anxiety spikes I was having. I sit with it and it fades.